40Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 41 Old 04-21-2016, 10:47 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Thumbs up Why does the 300F have such a bad rep?

Ok so I've been riding my cb300f since December 2014. The reaction I get from people when I tell them I ride an F is horrible! Sometimes it's embarrassing. I live in Los Angeles and this bike is really rare out here, I've never seen another one on the street. I see Groms every day but no 300f's. So people ask me what I ride I usually tell them a cbr300. I don't mention the F part unless it's directly related to the conversation. Any time I mention I ride the 300F all I hear is groans and moans about how it's the slowest bike Honda makes and how it has less horsepower than a cbr300r(not true). I don't like correcting people I usually just let people talk, lets you learn a little about them.

Whatever, it does what I like. It's my commuter when I work and my toy when I'm in the canyons. It sips gas and it's reliable. The suspension sucks for spirited riding but so does every other bike in it's class. I don't understand the negative reputation this bike has, it's been a great experience learning on it. Insurance is also dirt cheap, $260 a year for great coverage. I don't understand why the bike has such a bad reputation. Has anyone else experience this?
CDNHONDAR and atown8605 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old 04-22-2016, 01:26 AM
Banned

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
It's a great commuter for sure,
Just not meant to be taken on the interstates in USA, unless there's a lot of traffic.
Even with the CBR300R with the better fairing, I can run out of breath when having a strong headwind.
I really love the bike when there's a tailwind.
I guess most people just wanted that +3 to +5 extra HP.
A fuel controller does get you some extra.
Notthouse likes this.
post #3 of 41 Old 04-22-2016, 06:07 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 1360 Post(s)
I've never seen a 300F on the road in NZ but they do sell them here.
So most people don't know they exist let alone want to bag them.
The small capacity naked class is not real popular here for some reason.
One good thing about this forum is that everyone seems respectful of each others choice of model.
Fanatic and CDNHONDAR like this.

2014 CBR300
2004 XR250
SV 650 track bike

"Knees in the breeze is my only disease"

post #4 of 41 Old 04-22-2016, 06:17 AM
JNO

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
I must mix with rather atypical people. Another thread discusses how people apparently lecture bikers on the dangers of motorcycles, yet I have never met one. This thread deals with disparaging comments levelled at the 300F, yet even when I rode a Honda Cub and a CB100, I don't recall anybody mocking them.

These strange people aside, I really like the F and would have preferred one over my R, but they were inexplicably $1500 more expensive when I bought my R. I much prefer the riding position of the F and find sport tourer and sports bike handlebars too low for comfort unless you're going proper fast. In my opinion, nothing with just 300cc and one cylinder is a real sports bike and so the extra comfort and 'chuckability' of the F makes more sense in its category.

So all you 300F owners, rejoice! You have a bloody good, all-rounder bike.

I propose to live forever. So far, so good.

To date: Honda C70 Super Cub, Honda CB100, MZ125, MZ250, Suzuki GSX1100F, Yamaha XJ900, Kawasaki ZZR1100, Yamaha XJR1300SP, Honda NSA700, Honda CBR300R
post #5 of 41 Old 04-22-2016, 06:30 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNO View Post
I must mix with rather atypical people. Another thread discusses how people apparently lecture bikers on the dangers of motorcycles, yet I have never met one. This thread deals with disparaging comments levelled at the 300F, yet even when I rode a Honda Cub and a CB100, I don't recall anybody mocking them.

These strange people aside, I really like the F and would have preferred one over my R, but they were inexplicably $1500 more expensive when I bought my R. I much prefer the riding position of the F and find sport tourer and sports bike handlebars too low for comfort unless you're going proper fast. In my opinion, nothing with just 300cc and one cylinder is a real sports bike and so the extra comfort and 'chuckability' of the F makes more sense in its category.

So all you 300F owners, rejoice! You have a bloody good, all-rounder bike.
I at least sort of "get" the people lecturing about safety, they're either trying to validate their own life choices or are geniunely concerned for you.

But what kind of ******* tells you your choice of vehicle is "bad"?!
CDNHONDAR and Notthouse like this.

2014 Honda CBR300RA - Millennium Red
Two Brothers Tarmac Full Exhaust System, Dobeck Performance EJK Fuel Controller, K&N Air Filter, Shorai Lithium-Ion Battery, R&G Exhaust Hanger, R&G Tail Tidy, Competition Werkes Tail Light, Honda Single Seat Cowl, Pillion Grab Handle Delete, Pillion Foot Pegs Delete
post #6 of 41 Old 04-22-2016, 08:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Most people think my 300F looks cool. I have never heard a disparaging word about the bike itself. The only relatively negative thing I can recall hearing was from my brother, who indicated that he thought it was a poor choice for me to be dropping down from a 600 to a 300.

You must live around lots of Douche Bags. No offense.
Notthouse likes this.
post #7 of 41 Old 04-22-2016, 09:04 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I just bought a cb300f 2 weeks ago and I get nothing but compliments on how it looks people tend to pick that's only a 300cc but that doesn't bother me it gets amazing gas mileage and that's what it's all about
tbartolo likes this.
post #8 of 41 Old 04-22-2016, 09:25 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Garage
news to me, ive got a cb300f, and with a little work done to it, its a lot faster than my friends cbr300r, they very fun for canyon carving, i think its just more the fact that youre on a 300, dont let it bother you, its like being overweight and going to the gym, youve got to start somewhere, you dont just land yourself on a 600rr or a cbr1000r youve got to work your way up!

2015 cb300f
adjustable leavers, Bar end mirrors, decals removed, Weight reduction, Full titanium exhaust (TwoBros Tarmac), Dynojet PC5, custom map, K&N air filter, and many more!

post #9 of 41 Old 04-22-2016, 09:58 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Up here in San Francisco I've seen the number of 300F's climb. I didn't see a single one before I bought mine in Jan 2015 but now there are half a dozen parked in the same neighborhood where I work. I see a few others a couple times a week on my commute. They're perfect for this city. The guys at my shop love it, talk about how fun a ride it is. I've never heard anything derogatory towards it.
post #10 of 41 Old 04-22-2016, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndependentGeorge View Post
You must live around lots of Douche Bags. No offense.
Los Angeles. One time his girl scoffed, "ugh 300, my boyfriend rides a 600." Ooooooookay

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page