7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 11-09-2014, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
300F to 500F

I am interested in this bike and may be ready to get something next spring. I really like the naked styling and upright position of it. My concerns (while minor) are: the only color option being red, no ABS option, common issues I have read about on here, and power.

As for color, I would really like a white or black option. Black looks better to me but I would probably go with white so I can be seen easier at night. (Safety first!) Maybe Honda will offer new colors in the next model year.

While on the safety issues, I would really prefer ABS if this is an option. It is on the 300R but not the 300F. Maybe Honda changes that for next model year?

Seems to be a few issues people are having with shifting, kickstand, really low first gear and vibration of sorts. Maybe these are just kinks being worked out in the first model year?

And we get to power. I am not wanting to ride 100 and get myself killed. But I would like to be able to be on a highway or regular road somewhere and not bog down trying to get up a hill. I only weigh about 135 but I would also be taking my gf for rides at times and with both of us and maybe a small backpack or something, climbing a long hill or trying to keep up with traffic on a highway in similar conditions and I wonder if that will grow old really quickly.

Many experienced riders make the comment of a bike in the 250-300 range being for beginners. AKA less power. After learning to ride well, they say you will quickly want more power. One common reason besides that one listed above is the ability to quickly accelerate out of a dicey situation in traffic.

Honda offers a CB500F that happens to come in white or black, abs as an option, and seems (from my limited experience and reading online) to hit that sweet compromise of power. Not enough to throw you off the bike accidentally and also enough for you to do whatever you need/want to do.

Not it is a few more thousand to get this vs the 300F. But if I got the 300F, then in a year or two wanted more, how much could I potentially lose by selling it and having to then upgrade to the next model anyways?

I guess it sounds like I want to 500F. I really like the 300F but I just wish it had the same equipment and colors as the 500F. So basically, do you guys think that the 300F will offer new colors soon and a potential ABS option? Do you 300F riders ever get in situations where you really crave more power? Has anyone ridden both of these bikes that can offer a nice comparison?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 11-09-2014, 03:19 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
I'm an experienced rider and I prefer the CB300 over the 500. There is 72 lbs. difference. The lighter weight is a huge advantage for a newer rider or an older rider like me. While I can ride anything, I prefer the lighter bikes. You don't really bog down with the 300. What you do is drop down a gear if there isn't enough power. That's actually fun although you are shifting a lot more than with a larger bike. The passing power of the 500 is only slightly better than the 300. The 500 will be smoother. The seat on the 500 is just a bit taller if you happen to be short. If I really wanted ABS, I would go with the Ninja 300, not the Honda 500. It comes in white and black with an ABS option. I'm sure the Honda 500s are great bikes, but to me they are tween bikes and if I wanted a middleweight, I would get a faster one like the FZ07. These 300 bikes are unique in that they get the best mileage, are cheap, light, and extremely versatile. I have only sat on the Honda 500s though. Never rode one. Maybe that would change my mind, but to me they seem overweight. The FZ07 with much more power and torque is 23 lbs. lighter. It doesn't have ABS either in the US market. My next bike will be the Yamaha R3 when it comes out in a couple of months.
post #3 of 17 Old 11-09-2014, 06:35 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
True. The Ninja would be a sport styled bike with full fairings though. I really like the naked style of the 300F or 500F. Maybe Honda can do a 400F next? That would be JUST RIGHT haha. In all honesty, the 300F probably has the juice for a rider like me coming in at 135. I guess shifting more would seem fun. I just want white w/ ABS. I could always just paint the fairings if the color options are still just red next year. What about ABS? Think that will be an option soon? The 250R has it as an option. So does the 300R and every other bike. Why no love for the 300F?

post #4 of 17 Old 11-10-2014, 01:11 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
They do have ABS and other colors in other markets. Canada has ABS and white for the CB300F, but in the US they seem to want to keep the price as low as possible. Probably next year, the CB300F will have ABS as an option, probably more colors too, including white. The FZ07 from Yamaha did exactly the same thing. ABS and red, black or white for Canada, but not the US. The FZ07 only came in (Honda) red too. So I have 2 red bikes very similar looking from a distance.
post #5 of 17 Old 11-10-2014, 01:53 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
I've previously owned a 599, which is a 4 cylinder predecessor of the current 500. It was my first bike and I agree that it is a very different riding experience. The weight made an enormous difference in riding feel. It also depends on how you are riding. I Was spending the majority of the time going less than 40mph on city streets, and the 300 for that is a much much better bike. If you're doing the majority of your miles cruising on the highway then the 500f might be a better choice. I'm also in the 130's in weight.
post #6 of 17 Old 11-10-2014, 05:42 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Joey Dunlop won the majority of his TT's on 125's and 250's and that was a man who knew a thing or two about riding motorbikes
post #7 of 17 Old 11-10-2014, 07:39 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I would be commuting in the city for the week but making 200 mile highway roundtrips on weekends when the weather is good for it.
post #8 of 17 Old 11-30-2014, 02:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks very much for the information. I'm real big on the ABS brakes. If I can't get them it would be a deal breaker for me. Ride safe my friends.
post #9 of 17 Old 05-05-2015, 08:51 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
don't get caught up in all the hype & try to filter some of the info gained from the bike forums to fit your own needs,

suggest bike choice should be driven more by considering the type of riding you would do which varies depending on what part of the country or world you live in, type of roads, commuter or pleasure or both, only bike or have multiple bikes, experience level, etc

especially for a small person the weight of the bike is probably one of the most important spec factors to consider, right behind that is the height of the bike, if you are > 5' 9" then the cb300f is probably not the best choice

bikes are not cars or trucks you don't have nearly as much $$'s in them, typically you will find at least one that is a keeper for some longer period of time but the tendancy is for many to trade or sell a bike every couple of years & this is not a bad thing

for me & this being a supplemental bike I was looking to replace a single with a single

you stated your are looking to purchase a bike next spring, you live in or near the city but likely easy access to TN back roads, you weigh 135#'s & as such probably around a 30" inseam, prefer white & abs, want an upright riding position & as such a naked bike, need at least occasional two up riding,

I am probably about the same size & frame as you, I could feel the 70# difference in weight between the cb300 vs the cb500 & the 500 seemed a little taller & is a twin, for a one bike owner with your body frame & needs suggest you could consider a twin but stay in the 300 displacement range at least for now, likely Yamaha will come out with a naked r3 model next year or that is the typical pattern anyway

Summary: there is no substitute for a test ride, so find a way to test drive any bike as it is an important part of the decision process, but either bike could be a good choice depending on some the above factors,

ride safe

2012 Triumph Bonneville T100 black (sold)
2014 Triumph Bonneville black
2009 Suzuki TU250X (sold)
1974 Honda CB450 (café)
2015 Honda CB300F
post #10 of 17 Old 05-05-2015, 09:26 AM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Unless you are a really big guy, you shouldn't have problems accelerating out of a dicey situation on surface streets or even on a hill. You can even find some power on the highway at regular traffic speed. The only time I ever had an issue was when I was trying to get up an incline on the freeway and the wind was pushing against me. I was still moving at traffic speed, but I didn't have the extra power to push out of it. That was kind of a unique situation, though.

That said, if you are doing 200 mile round trips on the freeway, you may want to consider the 500. The 300 can certainly handle the trips, but they have to work harder, as you would be up into higher RPM's the whole time.

As far as the other issues you mentioned, I guess they are subjective to the person riding, or the bike they are riding. I have never had any issues with the kickstand or shifting. I experienced a vibration in the clutch lever, but it was easily fixed.

Personally, I have had more fun on my 300 than I ever had on my 600. As it was suggested before, I would ride both and see how you like them.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page