LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 Old 01-09-2016, 01:44 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
300F vs 300R?

If I had to choose between an R, or an F model of these 2 bikes, I'd have a hard time choosing.
For me the following is true:

Pro 300F :
Lighter weight,
Better seating ergonomics,
Cheaper

Pro R:
Better top speed,
Nicer colors,
Windbreaker,
More narrow handlebars,

I'm mostly going to use the bike for 30% town, and 50% interstate rides.
The R seems like the better one for me, even though I don't like the seating ergonomics at all for city riding.
So, I wondered if there's a way to increase the height of the handlebars on a CBR300R?

I also wonder if the F and R have the same type of suspension, or if the F has a softer suspension than the R?

And lastly, I sat on an F in the store, and fit just perfect on it.
I never sat on an R.
Would my knees be in the way of the handlebars on an R? (being 6'4" with 34" inseam)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 01-09-2016, 01:51 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeeLee View Post
Would my knees be in the way of the handlebars on an R? (being 6'4" with 34" inseam)
No, your knees would not be in the way. I am 6'5" with 34 inseam and had no problem operating the bike in tight spots and turns.
post #3 of 31 Old 01-09-2016, 04:39 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 1360 Post(s)
Ive got a strange feeling of deja vu on this one.

I also remember this...

The FZ-07 is on my radar as a possible next bike, so I probably won't consider a CB300F anymore.
Still, I was glad to have been part of the forum, and learned a thing or two.

2014 CBR300
2004 XR250
SV 650 track bike

"Knees in the breeze is my only disease"

post #4 of 31 Old 01-09-2016, 05:59 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeeLee View Post
If I had to choose between an R, or an F model of these 2 bikes, I'd have a hard time choosing.
For me the following is true:

Pro 300F :
Lighter weight,
Better seating ergonomics,
Cheaper

Pro R:
Better top speed,
Nicer colours,
Windbreaker,
More narrow handlebars,

One of the things that swayed me to the R was that it was about $750 cheaper than the F. Both were on the showroom floor. Interesting to see the F is cheaper for you.

The feel of the F was a lot closer to the bikes i was used to, i was a bit worried about the R for ergonomics, even though i only live 15km from work. however i've been on a few rides and it's not that bad.

One thing you forgot as a positive for the R is looks. Now i'm not saying that it looks better, however to those that aren't that into bikes i've had a very favourable response, something i wasn't expecting. Blokes tend to remark that it looks fast and my girlfriend and her friends were like bloody schoolgirls when i hopped off the bike. Definitely not something i expected.

Last edited by Treve82; 01-09-2016 at 06:02 AM. Reason: couldn't let queens english be butchered by "colors"
post #5 of 31 Old 01-09-2016, 07:32 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
I wasn't going to touch on the FZ-07 but I can't help myself.. lol

The top speeds of the F, I've seen on youtube (86, 87, 88MPH), are about the same as I can get from my Honda Rebel.
I don't know if the riders where sitting upright, or slightly bent, or ducked forward, their camera's didn't show...
To go 87MPH, I do need to bend forward on my Rebel though...

The top speeds I've seen on youtube from the R (88, 90, 95MPH), are higher, and probably worth it, if they didn't cheat with a larger rear sprocket (wrong calibrated odo).
88MPH isn't going to cut it.
But the FZ-07's 55MPG and $7k price, isn't cutting it for me either.
Plus, I'm not for hooligan bikes. The CB300F has the acceleration I need and want, (but not the top speed).

The only reason I didn't want the CBR300R is because of the seating ergos...
Life's a bitch...

Kawasaki still hasn't come out with their Z300 yet, and Yamaha's naked R3 version isn't even on the horizon yet....
And I think I can forget about a Yamaha FZ-04; although I probably would buy it in an instance!

I'm not asking for a perfect bike, but I feel that the basics just aren't there in the low variety of the 284-450cc bikes.
post #6 of 31 Old 01-09-2016, 08:14 AM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 954 Post(s)
MeeLee.. The CB300F has the acceleration I need and want, (but not the top speed).---#1

The only reason I didn't want the CBR300R is because of the seating ergos...------------#2

I never sat on an R.
Would my knees be in the way of the handlebars on an R? (being 6'4" with 34" inseam)..#3

#1 ...You are going to have to decide what you want..."Top speed" or "Acceleration" To you the 300 F can't do both. So which is it going to be? If you want both you are going to have to get a bigger (More powerful motorcycle...). Only YOU can decide how much of a trade off if any you want or can live with.......period.

#2 /#3 .... Honestly if you have never sat on the "R" how do you know if you will like it or not. Come on man really I think you should stop reading specs..looking at Youtube reviews (everyone has a different opinion...another man's trash is another man's treasure) and get to your Honda dealer and TAKE A "R " FOR A RIDE.....then see how it feels/handles/fits. Then try to make a decision.

All the chit chatting here on this Forum about what should do will not help you.....you have to make a decision/stand by it and live with it. If you make the wrong decision for you..learn from it and then sell/trade the bike and move on to another model.

There is no perfect motorcycle for you or anyone for that matter..just one that you enjoy to ride. Laurie

The problem with bikes aimed at first time riders is that first time riders buy them..
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Epic statement...from crazyjackcsa

Last edited by CDNHONDAR; 01-09-2016 at 08:23 AM.
post #7 of 31 Old 01-09-2016, 09:08 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi rider View Post
Ive got a strange feeling of deja vu on this one.

I also remember this...

The FZ-07 is on my radar as a possible next bike, so I probably won't consider a CB300F anymore.
Still, I was glad to have been part of the forum, and learned a thing or two.

Yeah, it is strange to write a post like that and even say "goodbye" in it and then going on writing many further posts.
MeeLee, I would think that most people are here because they are riders that talk about their bikes. You seem to be as a person who likes thinking about/discussing stuff as the first priority. There may be nothing "wrong" with it, but it may be a mode of operation that other members of this forum find
"different".
When I was researching what PTW to buy, I spent several months of reading everything I could on the Internet about many different bikes, and visiting showrooms and sitting on almost everything I could. At least I can understand that part of "searching for the right steed". From your writings, MeeLee, it would seem to me that you're in it for the pleasure of discussing stuff ad infinitum into technical details. I'm not saying it's wrong, just different and for some people it may be difficult to relate to it.
kiwi rider and Fanatic like this.
post #8 of 31 Old 01-09-2016, 11:27 AM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 954 Post(s)
MeeLee just wants to make the correct choice for him. The bike that he really likes (FZ-07) may be out of his financial reach...so I would suggest trying out the CB 300 F and then the CBR 300 R and choose which is one is acceptable.
MeeLee and dsimmo like this.

The problem with bikes aimed at first time riders is that first time riders buy them..
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Epic statement...from crazyjackcsa
post #9 of 31 Old 01-09-2016, 11:30 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Garage
Go for the F and call it a day. From what I see, owners really enjoy and cherish it. You may always modify the bike as your ownership experience progresses. The only way I see you being disappointed is if you continue to over think the details.

2014 Chevrolet Express 2500
2015 Honda Rebel
2016 Toyota Prius C
2016 Lexus GX 460
2017 CBR600RR
post #10 of 31 Old 01-09-2016, 02:38 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 1360 Post(s)
Some good advice from the guys there MeeLee, you dont want to get mistaken for this guy:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg troll.jpg (181.1 KB, 90 views)

2014 CBR300
2004 XR250
SV 650 track bike

"Knees in the breeze is my only disease"

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page