post #1 of 160 Old 09-15-2014, 05:37 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
CBR300R, Not a Highway Bike?

Curious, owners do you agree?

Quote:
On the highway, while the rpms are good-enough for a single cylinder, the bike is a little twitchy and the loose steering and nimbleness are a problem. You definitely wouldn’t want to go longer than 30 miles on a fast freeway. The aerodynamics and small tires did not aspire confidence for highway speeds. The seating position was kind of uncomfortable as it's a mini version of a sportbike. So, you’re still up on the front wheel, unlike the CB300F which has legit handlebars.
Fanatic likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 160 Old 09-15-2014, 06:20 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cropper View Post
Curious, owners do you agree?
That review is about different bike than the one I own. I did put a 15T sprocket on it and I think it is wonderful on the highway but I certainly could have lived with the 14T

The quote really just sounds like crazy talk to me and I question if the person really even rode the bike but I guess we all have different starting points. Someone that rides a BMW1100 would say the CBR300 wasn't good on the highway but I have 5 bikes under 550cc and the CBR300 is by far the best at highway speeds. It was so comfortable on the 70mile ride home from the dealer then another 100miles the next day up to my parents house and I could have fell asleep on those ride it was so relaxing.

Maybe I over appreciate the CBR300 because I have only one other bike that is stable at 100mph and that is a 1970 CB350SS. I am sure there are far better bikes on the highway but come-on the CBR300 at 90mph is just more than fine and the seat and riding ergonomics are top notch and the wind barely effects the bike. I guess I basically disagree with almost everything in that quote.
Cropper and Ifeanyi300F like this.
post #3 of 160 Old 09-15-2014, 06:21 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 841 Post(s)
Where is that quote from?

I think that whomever wrote that is using the terms 'highway' and 'freeway' interchangeably ... highways typically have posted speed limits of 55 to 65 mph with uncontrolled side road access, whereas freeways are generally posted at 75 mph with controlled access. Fast freeways would imply speeds in the 80 to 90 mph, which is pretty fast for a small displacement bike for any length of time... if I were doing a 30+ mile commute on fast freeways day in and day out, I'd want something more along the lines of a 500 or 650.
notarat likes this.

“Machines never lie.
Success will always come if they’re really good.
So let’s show the world what we’ve done.
Then they can see the real Honda!”

- Founder Soichiro Honda at the inception of the Honda Collection Hall.

Former Factory Test Rider/Technician

post #4 of 160 Old 09-15-2014, 06:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
x2 also curious as to where this quote came from.
post #5 of 160 Old 09-15-2014, 09:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMike View Post

I think that whomever wrote that is using the terms 'highway' and 'freeway' interchangeably ... highways typically have posted speed limits of 55 to 65 mph with uncontrolled side road access, whereas freeways are generally posted at 75 mph with controlled access. Fast freeways would imply speeds in the 80 to 90 mph, which is pretty fast for a small displacement bike for any length of time... if I were doing a 30+ mile commute on fast freeways day in and day out, I'd want something more along the lines of a 500 or 650.
+1

Good post
Paco p likes this.
post #6 of 160 Old 09-16-2014, 11:30 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMike View Post

https://rideapart.com/articles/world...-honda-cbr300r

Quote:
You will eventually outgrow it and get tired of being outrun by your buddies, but not right away. If you live in the country and surrounded by nothing but highways, than yes, you probably need something bigger, but for urban riding, you may never outgrow it.
post #7 of 160 Old 09-16-2014, 11:35 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
The reviewer looks more than 210lbs being 6'3. I am 5'11 190lbs and if the guy in the picture is 6'3" I would say he has another 15lbs he did not include.
post #8 of 160 Old 09-16-2014, 06:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkilla71 View Post
The reviewer looks more than 210lbs being 6'3. I am 5'11 190lbs and if the guy in the picture is 6'3" I would say he has another 15lbs he did not include.
that sure sounds like what it could be.
post #9 of 160 Old 11-20-2014, 12:35 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Garage
I took my 300R on the highway for the first time yesterday (about 60 mph), and I feel that it may not be in its natural habitat there. It could handle it and hold its own, but the bike feels happier at lower speeds, in my opinion.

I'm still learning the bike, so I'm sure I'll find out more as time and miles progress.

2014 Chevrolet Express 2500
2015 Honda Rebel
2016 Toyota Prius C
2016 Lexus GX 460
2017 CBR600RR
post #10 of 160 Old 11-20-2014, 01:06 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 841 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanatic View Post
I took my 300R on the highway for the first time yesterday (about 60 mph), and I feel that it may not be in its natural habitat there. It could handle it and hold its own, but the bike feels happier at lower speeds, in my opinion.

I'm still learning the bike, so I'm sure I'll find out more as time and miles progress.
Really? Give it some time... you've just started riding your new bike, so naturally you haven't started riding it to its true performance capabilities yet.

I have a 2012 CBR250R, which I've put nearly 15,000 miles on since I bought it new in April, 2012. I can tell you that these bikes are not even beginning to work hard at 60 MPH, and in fact both the 250R & 300R will happily run down the road at 75 MPH all day long, without breaking much of a sweat.

Don't believe all of the BS, nonsense, and hype put out there by some of the so called moto bloggers... some of those guys are nothing short of idiots.
Fanatic, Ifeanyi300F, Zodd and 2 others like this.

“Machines never lie.
Success will always come if they’re really good.
So let’s show the world what we’ve done.
Then they can see the real Honda!”

- Founder Soichiro Honda at the inception of the Honda Collection Hall.

Former Factory Test Rider/Technician

Last edited by MotoMike; 11-20-2014 at 01:09 AM.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page