14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 Old 05-16-2017, 10:00 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Stalling at Idle

G'day again. New to riding and new to the CB300. I'm a car guy do all my own work etc...

I've only had the bike for a couple of months, it's only got 6000km on it. Went for a ride last night and when up to operating temp it kept dying at idle. Sadly the first time at a very busy intersection.

It sounds like it's misfiring and then eventually dies quite suddenly. Only when hot, runs fine at startup. Also runs fine when moving. I've checked the air filter etc to make sure there's no blockage. I've currently got the battery disconnected to see if that resets anything. I'll check the spark plug and connection later.

I should add the bike is stock.

http://youtu.be/fFprtsil17U
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 05-16-2017, 10:08 PM
JNO

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
What's the history of the bike?

Is this a new problem? If it's a new thing, it could be something as simple as dodgy fuel, so a drain and refill might be in order. The odd missed beat on tickover isn't unusual. All engines do that in my experience, though it shouldn't be very often. Tickover speed looks OK - too low can cause stalling.

The principal difference between hot and cold running is of course the mixture, which is why you checked the air filter I'm guessing. Could be worth running the bike for a while, on the road to keep the speed up, then leave it to idle till it dies, then take the spark plug out and check the colour.

Fuel vaporisation? Is it hot where you are? This can happen when idling, because of course heat rises when stationary.

I propose to live forever. So far, so good.

To date: Honda C70 Super Cub, Honda CB100, MZ125, MZ250, Suzuki GSX1100F, Yamaha XJ900, Kawasaki ZZR1100, Yamaha XJR1300SP, Honda NSA700, Honda CBR300R
post #3 of 33 Old 05-16-2017, 10:19 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Im no help with the idle issue at this time, I know the basics but not enough on this motorcycle to guess. Hows the gear indicator doing for you? Is it connected to the odb / computer connector? Best of Luck

Thought Id also add, did you have the crank recall done???

Last edited by cruzinit; 05-16-2017 at 10:22 PM. Reason: Recall

post #4 of 33 Old 05-16-2017, 10:38 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the quick replies.
Unknown history but at only 6000kms it's practically new. The crank recall has been done. I've put about 1000 km on it without issue. It's about 5-10 degrees celcius cooler now, than when I purchased the bike.

There's been no missing until last night and the fuel in it is pretty fresh and has been running through over half a tank.

Gear indicator isn't even hooked up yet, just power to the display for now. It's a magnetic type so no interaction with the bike currently other than a power and ground.
post #5 of 33 Old 05-17-2017, 05:42 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 1360 Post(s)
When did you fit the gear indicator, is there any connection between the timing of powering that up and the miss/stall problem starting?
I only ask this because your issue sounds electrical / ignition related to me and also so often problems arise when we have fiddled with some other part of the bike.
mikal likes this.

2014 CBR300
2004 XR250
SV 650 track bike

"Knees in the breeze is my only disease"
post #6 of 33 Old 05-17-2017, 06:56 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I hear you and valid question. I literally soldered a 12v and ground at the headlight, nothing more. It's had a few weeks powered up, issue only started last night. In any case I'll remove it before returning for warranty check.

Could it be a vac leak?
post #7 of 33 Old 05-17-2017, 06:57 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
No change after disconnecting battery either.
post #8 of 33 Old 05-17-2017, 01:52 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 841 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draper CC View Post
I hear you and valid question. I literally soldered a 12v and ground at the headlight, nothing more. It's had a few weeks powered up, issue only started last night. In any case I'll remove it before returning for warranty check.

Could it be a vac leak?
Being that the bike is fuel injected, the cause of this 'dies at idle' problem could be any one of number of things related to the EFI system. I seriously doubt it's a fuel quality issue, as you say it ran fine for the first half tank of fuel.

As you say, your bike is still under warranty so the obvious and correct thing to do would be get it back to the dealer and have them sort it out. First thing they would/should check for is if there is a fault code stored.
kiwi rider likes this.

“Machines never lie.
Success will always come if they’re really good.
So let’s show the world what we’ve done.
Then they can see the real Honda!”

- Founder Soichiro Honda at the inception of the Honda Collection Hall.

Former Factory Test Rider/Technician
post #9 of 33 Old 05-17-2017, 04:26 PM

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 732 Post(s)
Yah, if you can, check the computer codes. I'm thinking the IACV. The computer should give you a code for that. Sometimes they get gooped up and stuck. Don't know if it would necessary cause the bike to stall, but it would make the bike have a pretty crappy idle. Simple to pull out and see if there's crud on it. If so you can clean it off an drop it back in.
post #10 of 33 Old 05-20-2017, 03:21 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Iacv looks good. While the tank was off I noticed the spark plug lead didn't look seated correctly. Pulled it and it's wrapped in a about a metre of black electrical tape, is badly fatigued from heat. I've removed it, I hope that was not a factory item, seems suss to me. Lead now goes home all the way.

I'll reassemble tomorrow when sober hehe and test. Off it's not that, back it goes.

No fault codes either.
mikal and atown8605 like this.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page