Potentially more efi tuning options. - Honda CBR 300 Forum
 15Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 43 Old 07-21-2016, 12:27 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Just_ace's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Perth Western Australia
Posts: 256
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Potentially more efi tuning options.

So, the grom destroys all in terms of people expending many times the original purchase price on modding. As such there's a ton more people researching all options etc.

I started looking at the grom as they have the same 33pin keihin ecu as our cbr300r. Ive downloaded the service manuals for both, and most of the wires go to the same pins. All the ones that fuel controllers intercept do at least.

As such ive purchased a grom pcv. It has a patch loom which plugs inbetween stock ecu and harness. As long as all wires are patched across and it intercepts the fuel inj, 2 crank wires, tps, ign. It should work.

The grom inj has the same imp and voltage.

The grom also has the same issue with the stock ecu controlling afrs 0-60% throttle. The 2 things they do to work around it is the dunojet wideband 2. It can simulate a modified narrow band signal to your stock ecu to give a 13.5afr.

The other is even cheaper. An EFIE which is stand alone and intercepts and modifies the O2 signal. O2 sensor on the Grom and piggyback tuners - Page 9

As the stock ecu runs rich enough in open loop +80% just putting in the EFIE will richen up your afrs in the closed loop area. Tho you'd need a wideband to know how much etc and set it up correctly.

One more thing. They have found the stock ecu is quite capable of running a larger inj. It will adjust to pull your afrs back done.

Anyhow. Wish me luck with the pcv. I want ign control.
dukeofbjorbon likes this.
Just_ace is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 43 Old 07-21-2016, 01:52 AM
Senior Member
 
dukeofbjorbon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 270
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_ace View Post
So, the grom destroys all in terms of people expending many times the original purchase price on modding. As such there's a ton more people researching all options etc.

I started looking at the grom as they have the same 33pin keihin ecu as our cbr300r. Ive downloaded the service manuals for both, and most of the wires go to the same pins. All the ones that fuel controllers intercept do at least.

As such ive purchased a grom pcv. It has a patch loom which plugs inbetween stock ecu and harness. As long as all wires are patched across and it intercepts the fuel inj, 2 crank wires, tps, ign. It should work.

The grom inj has the same imp and voltage.

The grom also has the same issue with the stock ecu controlling afrs 0-60% throttle. The 2 things they do to work around it is the dunojet wideband 2. It can simulate a modified narrow band signal to your stock ecu to give a 13.5afr.

The other is even cheaper. An EFIE which is stand alone and intercepts and modifies the O2 signal. O2 sensor on the Grom and piggyback tuners - Page 9

As the stock ecu runs rich enough in open loop +80% just putting in the EFIE will richen up your afrs in the closed loop area. Tho you'd need a wideband to know how much etc and set it up correctly.

One more thing. They have found the stock ecu is quite capable of running a larger inj. It will adjust to pull your afrs back done.

Anyhow. Wish me luck with the pcv. I want ign control.
Not easy being a pioneer, we're all counting on you, good luck.
mikal likes this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dukeofbjorbon is offline  
post #3 of 43 Old 07-21-2016, 07:32 AM
Senior Member
 
mikal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Venice, Florida
Posts: 1,931
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 732 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_ace View Post
So, the grom destroys all in terms of people expending many times the original purchase price on modding. As such there's a ton more people researching all options etc.

I started looking at the grom as they have the same 33pin keihin ecu as our cbr300r. Ive downloaded the service manuals for both, and most of the wires go to the same pins. All the ones that fuel controllers intercept do at least.

As such ive purchased a grom pcv. It has a patch loom which plugs inbetween stock ecu and harness. As long as all wires are patched across and it intercepts the fuel inj, 2 crank wires, tps, ign. It should work.

The grom inj has the same imp and voltage.

The grom also has the same issue with the stock ecu controlling afrs 0-60% throttle. The 2 things they do to work around it is the dunojet wideband 2. It can simulate a modified narrow band signal to your stock ecu to give a 13.5afr.

The other is even cheaper. An EFIE which is stand alone and intercepts and modifies the O2 signal. O2 sensor on the Grom and piggyback tuners - Page 9

As the stock ecu runs rich enough in open loop +80% just putting in the EFIE will richen up your afrs in the closed loop area. Tho you'd need a wideband to know how much etc and set it up correctly.

One more thing. They have found the stock ecu is quite capable of running a larger inj. It will adjust to pull your afrs back done.

Anyhow. Wish me luck with the pcv. I want ign control.
Am I missing something? Why did you go for the Grom PCV instead of one for the 300's? Is it my understanding that the Grom PC is a simple piggyback verse our PC has to be connected to all the sensors separately? There are some people on the CRF forum that use a CB400 injector
mikal is offline  
 
post #4 of 43 Old 07-21-2016, 08:11 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Just_ace's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Perth Western Australia
Posts: 256
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
There is no pcv for the cbr250/300r except the limited production that jettuning did but dont do anymore, despite their website listing them still.

PcVs are and always have been piggybacks. How they intercept the signals varies from bike to bike. Some intercept at the sensors, the grom one intercepts via apatch loom at the ecu like most car intercept ecus. Ie greddy emanage.

The only thing dynojet offers for our bikes is the fc which is a fuel controller only.

All ejk, aftrplus, bazzaz zfi, pcV, dfc, two bros are piggyback systems. How they intercept and alter the stock ecu signals varies.

Last edited by Just_ace; 07-22-2016 at 01:17 AM.
Just_ace is offline  
post #5 of 43 Old 07-22-2016, 04:03 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Just_ace's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Perth Western Australia
Posts: 256
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Also, i think the throttle body could do with enlarging. There are a few that do tjis to your stock TB. How much bigger we can get ours i dont know yet. Ill have to buy a spare and see how much meat there is. Max bore quote 135usd free shipping. 240ish aud from efi hardware in aus.

Both custom make the butterfly once theyve bored out your throttle body.

Heres some quick figures.

Crf250l 36mm TB 20hp
Take kit 28hp you can see how restricted the crf is. Unless factory ecm is also super restrictive

Cbr250r 38mm TB 25hp
Take kit 35hp

Crf250r 46mm TB 40hp 11000rpm obv has bigger valves and cam specs.
Just_ace is offline  
post #6 of 43 Old 07-22-2016, 04:28 AM
Senior Member
 
mikal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Venice, Florida
Posts: 1,931
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 732 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_ace View Post
There is no pcv for the cbr250/300r except the limited production that jettuning did but dont do anymore, despite their website listing them still.

PcVs are and always have been piggybacks. How they intercept the signals varies from bike to bike. Some intercept at the sensors, the grom one intercepts via apatch loom at the ecu like most car intercept ecus. Ie greddy emanage.

The only thing dynojet offers for our bikes is the fc which is a fuel controller only.

All ejk, aftrplus, bazzaz zfi, pcV, dfc, two bros are piggyback systems. How they intercept and alter the stock ecu signals varies.
I was simply asking if the Grom version was only a PGM-FI ECU piggyback? Versus the other PC that piggy backs to all sensors except the 1 spliced TPS wire. Bazzaz has an ECU only piggyback and EJK has a Fuel Injector only piggyback. I have all the PDF's for different brand FC's for the 300 so I know how they install. That's all I was asking as to why you went with the Grom PCV.
I thought I had seen it for sale back when I as looking for FC's but you're saying they don't make them anymore for the 300? I have a friend in my riding group with a PCV on his 300f, he loves it
*edit I see some sites do say discontinued on the PCV but I have found some sites with it still in stock(or so they say)
Was there an issue they had? Why did they discontinue them?
This site says in stock $276 + free shipping(us only maybe?)
https://www.maniacmotorsport.com/pro...g-CRoCtubw_wcB

Last edited by mikal; 07-22-2016 at 05:03 AM.
mikal is offline  
post #7 of 43 Old 07-22-2016, 05:15 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Just_ace's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Perth Western Australia
Posts: 256
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
The pcV for the cbr250/300r was only ever available through jettuning. Not even direct from dynojet.

So are you asking what sensors the grom pcv intercepts at the ecu?

As the grom pcv does fuel and ign, it would intercept/monitor the fuel injector, tps, coil, and crank sensors.

Pcvs all piggy back of the same sensors, it doesnt matter if it intercept the wires just before they get to the ecu or just after the sensors, the end result is the same.

The bazzaz doesnt do ign timing. And its a mess to install compared to the plug and play of the pcv.

Initially i looked at the crf250r version but their tb has seperate sensors for map and tps, and the crank sensor is 6 wire plug.
Just_ace is offline  
post #8 of 43 Old 07-22-2016, 05:59 AM
Senior Member
 
mikal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Venice, Florida
Posts: 1,931
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 732 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_ace View Post
The pcV for the cbr250/300r was only ever available through jettuning. Not even direct from dynojet.

So are you asking what sensors the grom pcv intercepts at the ecu?

As the grom pcv does fuel and ign, it would intercept/monitor the fuel injector, tps, coil, and crank sensors.

Pcvs all piggy back of the same sensors, it doesnt matter if it intercept the wires just before they get to the ecu or just after the sensors, the end result is the same.

The bazzaz doesnt do ign timing. And its a mess to install compared to the plug and play of the pcv.

Initially i looked at the crf250r version but their tb has seperate sensors for map and tps, and the crank sensor is 6 wire plug.

Have you looked for the PCV from any other vendor? Unless there was an issue with it as to why you wouldn't want it? there are still some available here in the states. Probably leftover supply but they are still selling it. Did you see the link I gave? Is that the PCV or regular PCFC? The part # is 16-024
Jet Tuning says it's only available exclusively through them but many other sites sell them

Here's another U.S. vendor
https://www.kmsperformance.com/shop/...aspx?task=view

Last edited by mikal; 07-22-2016 at 06:25 AM.
mikal is offline  
post #9 of 43 Old 07-22-2016, 06:18 AM
Senior Member
 
mikal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Venice, Florida
Posts: 1,931
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 732 Post(s)
Does your Grom PCV have the wiring harness like the picture on the left or the picture on the right?

Oh I see, on the Grom you remove the entire PGM-FI unit and piggy back from there. The PCV for 250r you only remove the ECU Card and piggy back from that

Last edited by mikal; 02-26-2017 at 02:54 PM.
mikal is offline  
post #10 of 43 Old 07-22-2016, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Just_ace's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Perth Western Australia
Posts: 256
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
16024 is the pcfc and i think youll find that is all those online places have. Its not a pcv

Power Commander Motorcycle Fuel Injection Tuning Module

Those 2 pictures are both of patch harness type connections. You unplug the ecu, then one plug connects to the wiring loom and the other back into you ecu.
Just_ace is offline  
Reply

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome