Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

Installing new throttle tube?

7K views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  mikal 
#1 ·
Hey, I ordered new grips but didn't like any of the regular rubber slip on grips. So I ordered some aluminum grips that also come with an aluminum throttle tube with 3 different size adjusters. I have the option of using the tube or not. I kind of want to use the new tube and use a larger diameter end that the cables attach to. Instead of a 1/4 turn to WOT it can go down to 1/6 turn to WOT. Has anyone replaced their tube yet? I assume it's as easy as loosening the slack on the cables, taking the switch piece apart. It opens in half, and then simply swap the cables onto the new tube end. But if anyone has any tricks or knows my method wont work...help? Lol. Someone said to take off the whole bar but I think that's way overkill. May be easier with clip ons but I don't have mine yet, still stock bars.

#2 ·
Shouldn't have to remove the bars for any reason. I swapped CBR250R controls onto an 88 NX250 and it was very easy to do. Remove the two screws holding the plastic where the start & kill switches are. (Make sure not to lose the nuts, I think they can fall once the screws are removed.) It may help to disconnect the cables from the throttle body, but that may not be required. Separate the two halves and you'll see where the cables connect to the throttle grip. Use some needle nose pliers to twist the wire into the release channel and slide them out. Remove the bar end and slide off the grip.

#4 ·
Ok, just swapped my handle bars so have a bit more insight now. You will need to either disconnect the throttle cables from the throttle body or remove the handle bar. Even with all the extra slack in my cables I couldn't get the ends out of the tube. If you take the handlebar off you can slide it out of tube and get things separated which in my opinion is easier than removing fairings to get to the throttle body. It does take a LOT of leverage to get the handlebar screw loose though; I had to use a cheater bar on an allen wrench to get it.

#5 ·
Actually I loosened the throttle cable right at the switch box all the way so the threads were off. Then twisted the throttle all the way and used pliers to push it out and lift at the same time. Took literally 3 minutes. Very simple. Now I have about 1/6 throttle turn to WOT like the r6. It was very touchy at first but you learn it fast. Very smooth, I like the idea of an aluminum throttle tube than the cheap plastic OEM one.

#7 ·
I bought them on ebay and I just checked they aren't up there anymore. They are aluminum Rizoma grips with an aluminum throttle tube. Came with bar ends that are removable but they don't look as good with my other ones so I kept them on. But it comes with 3 different 'gears?'
1. only 1 throttle cable hole
2. a larger diameter 2 hole throttle cable 'gear'
3. original OEM size 'gear'
So I used the larger gear and it fits perfectly in the switch box. Larger the cable gear equals less turn of the grip to hit WOT. Thing is it is so so touchy, it's constantly throwing me back when I let off totally the go back on it. Guess it's gonna take a while to get use to.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.