4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 05-14-2017, 01:07 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Sprockets and chain replacement

I'm trying to change out both my sprockets and chain for my 2015 cbr300r. I've bought the service manual cd but won't be here until next week. Was wondering if anyone knew the torque specs for the front and rear sprockets??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-14-2017, 02:38 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 1360 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyannnasaur View Post
I'm trying to change out both my sprockets and chain for my 2015 cbr300r. I've bought the service manual cd but won't be here until next week. Was wondering if anyone knew the torque specs for the front and rear sprockets??
I dont but someone on here will. Having done this job twice my advice would be dont get too carried away tightening the front bolts as they are only a 6mm thread. The locking plate that goes underneath the two securing bolts only goes on one way and the OEM rear sprocket bolts will be real tight to get undone. Mine had loctite on the threads.
Just holler if you have any probs/questions.

2014 CBR300
2004 XR250
SV 650 track bike

"Knees in the breeze is my only disease"
post #3 of 11 Old 05-14-2017, 03:17 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
My signature is my youtube link and I have plenty of how to videos on the CB/CBR300
Dryden-Tdub likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 Old 05-15-2017, 12:02 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi rider View Post
I dont but someone on here will. Having done this job twice my advice would be dont get too carried away tightening the front bolts as they are only a 6mm thread. The locking plate that goes underneath the two securing bolts only goes on one way and the OEM rear sprocket bolts will be real tight to get undone. Mine had loctite on the threads.
Just holler if you have any probs/questions.
Thanks! I just finished it today, had a little trouble with the rear sprocket torque because the nut stripped a little so we did it as tight as we could. Front sprocket, I set it at 7 ft lbs like what was recommended and worked out fine. Definitely was enjoyable learning how to work on my own bike and can feel the difference in torque. I didn't take care of my chains because I wasn't aware you had to (I know, poor user habits) but now I know and I'm glad it has more lower end power now? Or at least that's what it feels like.
post #5 of 11 Old 05-15-2017, 03:16 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Thanks! I just finished it today, had a little trouble with the rear sprocket torque because the nut stripped a little so we did it as tight as we could. Front sprocket, I set it at 7 ft lbs like what was recommended and worked out fine. Definitely was enjoyable learning how to work on my own bike and can feel the difference in torque. I didn't take care of my chains because I wasn't aware you had to (I know, poor user habits) but now I know and I'm glad it has more lower end power now? Or at least that's what it feels like.
Ok that's good you got it done. So you changed to a different size sprocket? How many miles did you get out of your chain?

2014 CBR300
2004 XR250
SV 650 track bike

post #6 of 11 Old 05-15-2017, 04:07 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
No, I stuck with the original sprocket sizes of 14/36 for now because I'm not too knowledgable about the sprocket size changes and their benefits. I only got about 8.5K miles on the original chain because I hadn't maintained it AT ALL. (I didn't know any better.. First time owner, never had a bicycle either. LOL.)
post #7 of 11 Old 05-15-2017, 08:26 PM
Super Moderator

Purely as a matter of interest I've just had a quick look in the owners manual to see if there is anything in there about chain maintenance. There is, but hey who ever reads the manual when they get a new thing??

2014 CBR300
2004 XR250
SV 650 track bike

post #8 of 11 Old 05-15-2017, 10:15 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi rider View Post
Purely as a matter of interest I've just had a quick look in the owners manual to see if there is anything in there about chain maintenance. There is, but hey who ever reads the manual when they get a new thing??
Oh, it's definitely there and I definitely am not one of those people. Live and learn?? Lol.
kiwi rider likes this.
post #9 of 11 Old 05-16-2017, 10:16 AM

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 732 Post(s)
Quote:
No, I stuck with the original sprocket sizes of 14/36 for now because I'm not too knowledgable about the sprocket size changes and their benefits. I only got about 8.5K miles on the original chain because I hadn't maintained it AT ALL. (I didn't know any better.. First time owner, never had a bicycle either. LOL.)
You kept the stock sprocket sizes but you feel that the bike has more low end torque? You'll only get the faster acceleration feeling if you lower/raise your sprockets. Example 13/38.
Did you change the chain too? From how you describe the condition of the stock chain if you put a new chain on you may feel a bit more 'get up and go'
post #10 of 11 Old 05-16-2017, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikal View Post
You kept the stock sprocket sizes but you feel that the bike has more low end torque? You'll only get the faster acceleration feeling if you lower/raise your sprockets. Example 13/38.
Did you change the chain too? From how you describe the condition of the stock chain if you put a new chain on you may feel a bit more 'get up and go'
I changed both sprockets and chains, it might be the "get up and go" feeling then because my chains were worn and lose before and now I feel it has that UMPH, more than before. Perhaps I'm not using the proper terms?
mikal likes this.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page