LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 05-18-2017, 06:48 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
New Rider

Hello all,

New to the riding world here (been doing a ton of reading to try and pick up what I can online though). I haven't bought my bike yet, but I do have my license after taking the MSF class. I'm glad I did the class before the bike because before I was looking at Ninja 250's and after riding the Grom at the class I've set my sights on the naked class starting with the CB300F. Just need to convince myself to spend the money and do it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 05-19-2017, 01:47 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 1360 Post(s)
Welcome Blaze, I dont think too many people have regretted entering into the world of motorcycling.
My suggestion would be to just spend the money and do it!
tbartolo likes this.

2014 CBR300
2004 XR250
SV 650 track bike

"Knees in the breeze is my only disease"
post #3 of 23 Old 05-19-2017, 02:42 AM
JNO

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaze View Post
.......I've set my sights on the naked class starting with the CB300F. Just need to convince myself to spend the money and do it!
I like that you're obviously expecting to be bitten by the biking bug and moving up the bike chain. In that case, my advice would be (as it is to all newbies), buy secondhand. Find a good used 300F, mileage mostly immaterial if it's in good condition, use it to learn on (learning STARTS when you have your own bike) and then, if you find you do indeed want to get something bigger, you will lose less money. There are few downsides if you buy something in good condition because, if you decide a 300 is right for your needs, even a used CB300F will give you many years of good service.
tbartolo likes this.

I propose to live forever. So far, so good.

To date: Honda C70 Super Cub, Honda CB100, MZ125, MZ250, Suzuki GSX1100F, Yamaha XJ900, Kawasaki ZZR1100, Yamaha XJR1300SP, Honda NSA700, Honda CBR300R

Last edited by JNO; 05-19-2017 at 05:20 AM.

post #4 of 23 Old 05-19-2017, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I do plan on STARTING with the CB300F, with (what I think) my ultimate goal being the SV650. However, I can very easily see myself being more than pleased with the 300 and riding that till she can't take it anymore. I plan on riding it for a minimum of 2-4 years (I also want to buy a house in the near future so that will take priority over upgrading a secondary vehicle). I have tried to find a good used one, however pickings are relatively slim in my area, and generally they are priced the same as some of the new ones at the dealers, which is perplexing to me. For example, I saw one guy list his 2015 at $4500 used on craigslist, when I've been quoted $3700 out the door on a new 2016 by one dealer.
post #5 of 23 Old 05-19-2017, 09:21 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaze View Post
I do plan on STARTING with the CB300F, with (what I think) my ultimate goal being the SV650. However, I can very easily see myself being more than pleased with the 300 and riding that till she can't take it anymore. I plan on riding it for a minimum of 2-4 years (I also want to buy a house in the near future so that will take priority over upgrading a secondary vehicle). I have tried to find a good used one, however pickings are relatively slim in my area, and generally they are priced the same as some of the new ones at the dealers, which is perplexing to me. For example, I saw one guy list his 2015 at $4500 used on craigslist, when I've been quoted $3700 out the door on a new 2016 by one dealer.
Same thing is happening here, guys who paid full price earlier on (like me) are trying to re-coup some of their investment. And they wonder why they dont sell??
I paid 7K NZD for my bike and are selling it for 4.5K. You gotta be realistic.

2014 CBR300
2004 XR250
SV 650 track bike

post #6 of 23 Old 05-19-2017, 10:22 PM
JNO

I have taken my 300R off the market for the opposite reason - buyers here seem to want an enormous discount compared to new, even for an as-new bike. I got some daft and some downright insulting offers to 'take it off my hands'.

If I was desperate, or didn't like the bike any longer, I would have dropped the price, but I always said I was in two minds about selling and so would swap bikes only if I could get a fair price for the 300.

So she's staying in my garage for a while longer and I'm focusing on something else - converting my DSLR into a semi-pro video rig, which should fit nicely into the bike's panniers

To date: Honda C70 Super Cub, Honda CB100, MZ125, MZ250, Suzuki GSX1100F, Yamaha XJ900, Kawasaki ZZR1100, Yamaha XJR1300SP, Honda NSA700, Honda CBR300R
post #7 of 23 Old 05-19-2017, 11:55 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNO View Post
I have taken my 300R off the market for the opposite reason - buyers here seem to want an enormous discount compared to new, even for an as-new bike. I got some daft and some downright insulting offers to 'take it off my hands'.

If I was desperate, or didn't like the bike any longer, I would have dropped the price, but I always said I was in two minds about selling and so would swap bikes only if I could get a fair price for the 300.

So she's staying in my garage for a while longer and I'm focusing on something else - converting my DSLR into a semi-pro video rig, which should fit nicely into the bike's panniers

Yes, that's why I only do auctions now as opposed to a general listing with the sellers (my) contact details. I cant be bothered dealing with all the idiot tyre kickers and dreamers out there who are out of touch with bike prices or worse just dont care or respect a bikes value.
Dont even get me started on the ones who want to do part trades with cash their way..

2014 CBR300
2004 XR250
SV 650 track bike

post #8 of 23 Old 05-20-2017, 12:32 AM
JNO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi rider View Post
.......Don't even get me started on the ones who want to do part trades with cash their way..
Totally agree.

For instance, who sees a for sale advert for a CBR300R and thinks, "This looks like a guy who wants a fifteen year-old diesel Pajero!"

What?
kiwi rider likes this.

post #9 of 23 Old 05-20-2017, 05:46 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
I financed mine for 6 years, with an extended warranty, all told it's going to cost me over $7k USD for the 300R. There is no way in **** I'm selling it anytime soon. Maybe in 10 years, but I think I'd rather turn it into a track bike at that point.

2016 CBR300R
post #10 of 23 Old 05-20-2017, 10:17 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi rider View Post
Same thing is happening here, guys who paid full price earlier on (like me) are trying to re-coup some of their investment. And they wonder why they dont sell??
I paid 7K NZD for my bike and are selling it for 4.5K. You gotta be realistic.

My guess is that it's because of the time of year I'm shopping. I noticed the same thing when I was just looking around for Ninja 250's before I took my MSF course. Multiple listings asking more than the bike sold new, when I inquired with a few to see how they could justify that (aka: stirred the pot a bit) I was met with responses ranging from "bikes are in high demand this time of year" (like there is a shortage or something?) to "I put blah blah blah blah on it and spent $XXXXX on aftermarket parts" (which in my minds is a sunk cost, not an investment in the value of the bike, unless you happen to find the buyer who absolutely wants every upgrade you made). It didn't really bother me, because I don't HAVE to buy from those people. Being new to the world of bikes it was just amusing to me, perhaps that's more normal than I thought though.
kiwi rider likes this.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page