LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 Old 01-15-2014, 11:39 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
305cc Big Bore Kit for the CBR250R

I've seen a few of them being mentioned on 250.net

Which ones are good and how much does it usually cost? What sort of power do people see? Tried looking but it seems like its not a popular option so not too much info.

I've read that the 305cc Takegawa bore kit with an exhaust and a tune can add an extra 10hp.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 01-15-2014, 01:46 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
That sounds like a pretty nice boost in power. Is it an expensive package to buy?

I'm not sure that I would be able to install it myself. I think I would take it somewhere to have them show me how, maybe then I can do it next time...

i think the first step to look into this would be to figure out where you buy it. That would likely give you a lot more info than we can. Unless someone on our forum has actually already bought and installed one.
post #3 of 34 Old 01-15-2014, 02:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Nice!
I know some people have a number of mods done to their CBR250R's or bought 2013 models. Good thing to do if you can't part with your 250.

post #4 of 34 Old 01-17-2014, 08:51 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I'm not entirely sure how much it would cost to do this to a 250

I was just curious since the 250s might be going for so cheap once the 300 comes out

Figured you could probably save some money and just bore out your 250 to a 300 for a cheaper price than buying a 300.
post #5 of 34 Old 01-18-2014, 02:41 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
I think the fact not many people have done it is indicator enough...
post #6 of 34 Old 01-20-2014, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cropper View Post
I think the fact not many people have done it is indicator enough...
Good point. Plus anyone who has been keeping up with motorcycle news will start to consider selling their 250 and buying a 300, it doesn't even have to be a Honda, could be a Suzuki or even Kawasaki.
post #7 of 34 Old 01-21-2014, 11:03 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Well to be fair the CBR250 is relatively new as well. (I believe the latest version came out in 2011. And most riders are happy with the power on the CBR250 or they would have gotten a larger displacement instead.
post #8 of 34 Old 01-21-2014, 03:35 PM

That's true, even right now you can get a CBR250 brand new. Just depends when you bought yours, of course you'd want to make a sound decision here. There will always be people happy with their current CBR250 and those looking for a bit more and something newer that have the money to upgrade and can justify it.
post #9 of 34 Old 01-21-2014, 03:51 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Would it make sense to sell the CBR 250 early before the CBR 300 is around so that you get some more money for it? Or has that ship sailed already?

I think a lot of people are going to be excited to buy used CBR 250s once the CBR 300 is around.
post #10 of 34 Old 01-22-2014, 11:33 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 841 Post(s)
The Takegawa 305cc kit sells for about $300 USD. In addition to the cost of the kit, you would need a good aftermarket programable fuel controller, as well as a quality aftermarket exhaust to take full advantage of the larger displacement of the 305cc kit. Then, after everything is installed you'd want to have the bike dyno tuned to get it all working together. When it's all said and done, you'd easily have spent over $1000 (not including labor) to get that extra 8-10 horsepower... so it's not a cheap proposition. I think most CBR250R owners, myself included, just don't see themselves putting that kind of money into a small bike for several reasons... one major reason being that it doesn't increase the resale value, so you'd never get that money back when you do go to sell it. For me, if I want more power I'll just move up to a more powerful bike... it's a much less costly proposition to get into a bigger bike.

I doubt you will see very many CBR250R owners selling or trading in their bikes for the 300R. There just is not enough of a difference between the two bikes to justify the cost. Besides that, most who move on from the CBR250R after a year or two are moving up to larger displacement motorcycles, at least 500 or 600cc. The CBR300R won't change that... just like the 250R, the 300R will still be considered a entry level sport bike.

There are plenty of brand new 2013 CBR250R's in U.S. dealer inventories right now, as well as in the American Honda Motor Co. distribution warehouses. Some Honda dealers still have a few brand new 2012 CBR250R's (with full factory warranty) available at significantly reduced prices... I've heard of prices as low as $3200 USD for a non-ABS '12 CBR250R. That's an amazing price for a brand new motorcycle.

I know that many of you guys are eagerly waiting for American Honda (and Honda Canada) to make an official announcement regarding the release date for the CBR300R. The latest word on the street is that they won't be available until late spring or early summer, at the earliest. I believe that this is due in part to the current inventory levels of CBR250R's... Honda dealers (and AHMC) want to sell through some of the current inventory before adding the CBR300R to the showroom floors. It only makes sense to do that.

“Machines never lie.
Success will always come if they’re really good.
So let’s show the world what we’ve done.
Then they can see the real Honda!”

- Founder Soichiro Honda at the inception of the Honda Collection Hall.

Former Factory Test Rider/Technician

Last edited by MotoMike; 01-22-2014 at 11:38 AM.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page