31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 112 Old 10-10-2014, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
CB300F issues, quirks, problems

I have about 600 miles on the CB300F now so I thought it would be helpful to mention a couple of issues with the new bike. These aren't really problems as much as annoyances, but I don't know if it is just my bike or all the CB300Fs

1. First, that chain stretched very quickly. By 40 miles mine was sagging and way out of specs. I did do a hard break-in so I'm sure that contributed. The good news is that since I adjusted the chain, it has stayed in specs for over 500 miles now. I think you can expect the chain to stretch early.

2. It's hard to get into 1st from N when you are stopped. This is a fairly common issue with bikes. The good news is, the bike is so light you can just roll it forward or backward a couple of inches and it will slip into first.

3. The kickstand keeps the bike more upright than with other motorcycles. I might even worry about parking in a strong wind. It helps to turn the bike to the left as you would do to lock the bike. That gives it a little more lean, but the issue I have is that I always get on and off a bike with the kickstand down. Getting on is no problem since the seat is low, but getting off is harder than any other bike I have ever owned because instead of just sliding off on the left side, you have to work at both scooting off and not allowing the bike to get even more upright. Hard to explain any better than that and I am getting used to it. I think this will be a bigger issue with shorter riders.

4. One other issue has to do with riding in 1st gear as you would around a gas station or parking lot. First gear is really jumpy. As an experienced rider, I have no problem since I know how to handle the throttle and clutch, but I can see a new rider losing balance as the bike jumps. I would call this issue poor throttle control in 1st gear.

5. When I ride aggressively and completely let off the throttle, I get this rattling sound. It doesn't do it if I slowly release the throttle or if I am shifting gears at the lower range. If you don't ride like I do, you might never even notice it. Or it might not be present on your bike. I can do it in any gear. I see there is a rattling noise some have reported with the CBR250R at about 5000 rpms, but I don't think this is the same thing since I can make it occur in any gear at all higher rpms.

Does anyone else have any of these issues? If not do you have any other issues.
atown8605 likes this.

Last edited by AJ Nin; 10-10-2014 at 06:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 112 Old 10-10-2014, 07:52 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Have you had the chance to contact the dealer about these to see what they have to say and can do about it??
post #3 of 112 Old 10-10-2014, 10:25 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
No, but I already know the answer to that. Nothing. Nothing is actually wrong with the bike. These are quirks of the bike itself...the design and manufacture.... and many people will have these same issues, If the rider is a new rider, they wouldn't even notice them as anything out of the ordinary, probably. Well, maybe the rattling would get their attention, but new riders don't ride like I ride anyway and so may not expose the rattle. Once we get a few more bike owners, they will have these same issues. It's a mass produced bike. All the kickstands will be too upright. All the chains will stretch quickly. All the bikes will run jerky in 1st gear. All will be a little hard to get into 1st gear from neutral from a stop.

post #4 of 112 Old 10-11-2014, 01:56 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Im a new rider, but i have the R. I have noticed the rattle a few times and never could figure out what it was. First gear is very jerky and not smooth at all, it aggravates me the most going down my driveway which is gravel, i usually get into seconcd so im more comfortable going slower. Or sometimes i just let the bike idle in first because it will still roll without giving it gas but it is definately annoying that its not smooth at all if you want to turn the throttle some.
post #5 of 112 Old 10-11-2014, 05:42 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
I recommend the 15T front sprocket. For less than $20 it greatly improved my whole my riding experience plus it makes 1st gear usable.

PBI - 382-15 - Steel Front Sprocket, 15T
greensailor88 and atown8605 like this.

Last edited by Jkilla71; 10-11-2014 at 05:46 PM.
post #6 of 112 Old 10-12-2014, 11:24 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
I've noticed the same issues with rattling/vibrations and, as a new rider, I've had some trouble with 1st gear. I've adapted though, it's jumpy initially but I'm ready and will feather the clutch if I'm worried.

Sometimes with the clutch all the way in, I get a grinding noise when down shifting into first above 12MPH, is that typical? Sometimes I miss neutral and hit first and hear it. Not sure what causes it.
post #7 of 112 Old 10-13-2014, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Not sure, but if you hit neutral instead of 1st when downshifting, and coast, then try to go either into 2nd or 1st you get a loud clunk. Not sure why, but that has been the case in every bike I've owned. If you actually miss a gear and go in between gears (not neutral) there will be a grinding noise as the gear teeth slide against each other. I have managed not to do that so far with the CB300F. Other than getting into 1st from N when stopped, the bike seems to shift smoothly. New riders seem to grind gears when they don't use the gear shift foot lever with enough force. I owned a Triumph Street Triple r that was a fantastic bike, but about once a month, I would miss a gear. I don't think it was me, but it was always when I tried to shift quickly. Eventually, that will wear out the gear.
post #8 of 112 Old 10-14-2014, 02:46 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Similar things to you in 1-4 but don't have issue 5.

Regarding the hard to get into first from neutral..try releasing the clutch a bit. Works for me. If its all the way in makes it hard to engage 1st.. release and it will go straight in.
post #9 of 112 Old 10-14-2014, 04:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
So, it's NOT just me, who thinks this bike is too upright on the kickstand! Thanks for confirming it for me, AJ Nin (Ninja). I had the opposite problem on my CTX700N, so I'm hoping there will be a kickstand from another Honda model out there, that's just a tad shorter than this one, that I can swap out for the one that came with my CB300F.

~ BJ ~
2015 Honda CB300F
Central Virginia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 112 Old 10-14-2014, 04:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShedFarm View Post
So, it's NOT just me, who thinks this bike is too upright on the kickstand! Thanks for confirming it for me, AJ Nin (Ninja). I had the opposite problem on my CTX700N, so I'm hoping there will be a kickstand from another Honda model out there, that's just a tad shorter than this one, that I can swap out for the one that came with my CB300F.
Keep us posted on when you do get one.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page