Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

Starter Switch/Relay Recall Notice (Multiple Threads)

59K views 173 replies 54 participants last post by  mikal 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi Everyone,

Purchased my first Motorcycle yesterday (CBR300F) and scheduled to have it delivered today 7/2. Received a call from the dealer that Honda put a "HOLD ALL SALES" on the CB line of motorcycles. The Dealer gave me recall number MTB15508, saying that it has to do with the Starter Relay Switch. Stated that he cannot release the bike until the part is replaced and had no ETA when Honda will post a fix for the issue,

Just wondering if anyone else has heard of this recall yet. Hoping they didn't ruin the bike and are just buying time to fix it.

I entered the VIN number at Honda's recall page and got no alerts on any recalls.

Thoughts or advice?

Thanks,

#2 ·
"UPDATE"... Contacted Honda directly to get some clarification on the recall. The first rep I spoke with was unaware of any recall. I explained my situation and he contacted a manager. The manager did have the recall information and it does have to do with the relay switch.

Everyone I spoke with at Honda was very friendly and helpful in remedying the issue. Finally got a call from a Honda manager and they are sending the replacement part overnight to the dealer's shop. The even called and informed the dealer.

Hopefully the shop will receive it early enough and have it ready by tomorrow evening.

#6 ·
From what I was told at the dealership, the recall affects some recently manufactured CB-motorcycles from this year and unfortunately all the 300's they have in stock were affected. So i'm hoping the dealership received the replacement part Honda overnighted yesterday.

Also...

The recall doesn't seem to be on Honda's public recall database yet, as I entered my VIN# on there site, and it still shows clean.

Recall Information - Honda Powersports

#8 ·
Seems like if you are getting the smell of burning plastic, that would be a heads up that something isn't right in the meantime. Looks like a quick, relatively inexpensive fix for Honda. First I've heard about this so it doesn't seem to be widespread. It wouldn't surprise me if they narrow the replacements down to a few lot numbers and some of us never get recalls...or maybe just a look to see if there is any signs of heat damage.

#9 ·
Recall Notice

Don't know if this has been posted.

Recall Info

Year: 2015

• Category: Motorcycles
  • Sub-Category: Sport
  • Model: CBR300R
NHTSA recall Number: AWAITING#

Campaign Description: STARTER MAGNETIC SWITCH RECALL

mfr campaign id: JS9

recall date: 07/01/2015

recall status: VIN/HIN Required

Summary:

AMERICAN HONDA MOTOR CO., INC. (HONDA) IS RECALLING CERTAIN 2013-2016 MOTORCYCLES. DURING ASSEMBLY OF THE STARTER RELAY SWITCH, SEALANT MAY HAVE BEEN APPLIED INCORRECTLY WHICH COULD INCREASE RESISTANCE ACROSS THE MAIN FUSE, POTENTIALLY INTERRUPTING THE MOTORCYCLE'S BATTERY VOLTAGE TO THE ELECTRICAL SYSTEM.

SAFETY RISK:

AN INTERRUPTION OF ELECTRICAL SYSTEM BATTERY VOLTAGE COULD CAUSE THE ENGINE TO A) NOT START OR B) STALL WHILE RIDING. IN AN EXTREME CASE, THE INCREASED RESISTANCE AT THE MAIN FUSE COULD CAUSE THE STARTER RELAY SWITCH TO CATCH ON FIRE.

#10 ·
Looks like Honda is recalling about every bike they sell for the starter relay. The relay on the CB300F is under the front seat and is a pain to get to. Mine has a red plug on the top of it. There are two sets of numbers on the relay that Honda uses to tell when the relay was made. Of coarse the numbers are facing down so you have to pull the relay up to see them. One set of numbers is easy to read and the other set isn't stamped in as well. The lighter set is the number to check. I took the battery out and it is easier but still a pain. If you are going to check it yourself, disconnect the negative battery terminal. As of today Honda has no parts to fix it yet. Also found my water pump was leaking from the weep hole. Sucks.

Year: 2015Category: Motorcycles
Sub-Category: SportModel: CB300F

• Number of Potential Recalls: 1
  • Last Updated: Jul 08, 2015

NHTSA recall Number: AWAITING#

Campaign Description: STARTER MAGNETIC SWITCH RECALL

mfr campaign id: JS9

recall date: 07/01/2015

recall status: VIN/HIN Required

Summary:

AMERICAN HONDA MOTOR CO., INC. (HONDA) IS RECALLING CERTAIN 2013-2016 MOTORCYCLES. DURING ASSEMBLY OF THE STARTER RELAY SWITCH, SEALANT MAY HAVE BEEN APPLIED INCORRECTLY WHICH COULD INCREASE RESISTANCE ACROSS THE MAIN FUSE, POTENTIALLY INTERRUPTING THE MOTORCYCLE'S BATTERY VOLTAGE TO THE ELECTRICAL SYSTEM.

SAFETY RISK:

AN INTERRUPTION OF ELECTRICAL SYSTEM BATTERY VOLTAGE COULD CAUSE THE ENGINE TO A) NOT START OR B) STALL WHILE RIDING. IN AN EXTREME CASE, THE INCREASED RESISTANCE AT THE MAIN FUSE COULD CAUSE THE STARTER RELAY SWITCH TO CATCH ON FIRE.

#11 ·
The relay on the CB300F is under the front seat and is a pain to get to. Mine has a red plug on the top of it. There are two sets of numbers on the relay that Honda uses to tell when the relay was made. Of coarse the numbers are facing down so you have to pull the relay up to see them. One set of numbers is easy to read and the other set isn't stamped in as well. The lighter set is the number to check. I took the battery out and it is easier but still a pain. If you are going to check it yourself, disconnect the negative battery terminal. As of today Honda has no parts to fix it yet.

#15 · (Edited)
@JimmyBee : I haven't ran into any problems yet, except when a couple months back, the bike would cut off a few times and would have difficulty starting back up. Haven't had the issue repeat itself since then.

Thanks. I just put my VIN in and it stated this:

NUMBER OF OPEN RECALLS: 1
LAST UPDATED: JUL 08, 2015
NHTSA RECALL NUMBER: AWAITING#
CAMPAIGN DESCRIPTION: STARTER MAGNETIC SWITCH RECALL
MFR CAMPAIGN ID: JS9
RECALL DATE: 07/01/2015
RECALL STATUS: Recall INCOMPLETE. Remedy not yet available.
SUMMARY:
SAFETY RISK:

Reactions: shisoshin
#13 ·
Has anybody experienced any issues with this yet?

I just had my dealer tell me about this. I had my cb300f in for the 600 mile and was going to pick it up on the day this was posted by Honda. I was told I could pick it up or leave it with them until the recall was resolved. I am going to pick it up. I have not had any issues with my bike and it has performed flawlessly so far. Summer is short here in Minnesota and I think if it was serious they would advise people not to ride them. I haven't seen anything online about electrical problems but if anyone has any info to share I would appreciate it!

#16 ·
Just to clarify my understanding. There is a known issue but not recommended fix yet so if I were to take my bike the dealer they wouldn't know what to do about it and I should just wait right? Should I not be riding it? Sounds like folks still are so I should be fine just check for fire at red lights? haha

#17 · (Edited)
How can we tell if our bike was affected?

I had an interesting issue the other day after not riding for almost three weeks.. the starter kept turning over but it wouldn't start the engine. Then I gave it throttle while holding the starter and it started up but died quickly after I release the throttle (a few seconds). Started again and kept the revs up for a minute or two and it was fine. Not sure if this is related...

#18 ·
I'd get a voltmeter that can check resistance and see if from battery side to output side of the starter has a high resistance. If so, then you are probably effected by this issue. Or just take it to a local dealer and have them check it. Usually there is a VIN search function for recalls to see if your vehicle is effected, not sure if that's been implemented with this issue yet though.

If you do check and it's fine, it kind of sounds like a fuel or spark issue, I'd check the spark plugs, make sure gap is correct and that you don't have burnt tips. If spark is fine check fuel is okay. Siphon off your tank and fill her up with fresh and see if you can reproduce the issue. If you can it may be a fuel delivery issue.

#22 ·
The worst part for me is this was the day after we purchased the bike, got it to a parking lot for wife to start getting used to. Turned it off. Went to restart and it wouldn't. Couldn't bump start it, jump it off a car, or jump off the tow truck. Had to pay to tow the brand new bike home without her getting to ride it. My issue was a poorly tended battery (demo bike) combined with the starter relay BS. The dealer refused to pay for the tow, and I will be speaking with Honda Canada today. I have been tending the battery and have not had the issue again but will be getting it addressed as soon as the parts arrive. I suspect the strength of the battery charge plays a role in whether the switch works or not with regards to the recall issue.

#27 ·
As a follow up to my previous post. I spoke with Honda Canada today. They were pretty good on the phone and offered to pay for the tow (after much polite deliberation) which I could not get them to do with no invoice (BCAA member). They instead agreed to give me 125$ of credit at the dealer towards anything they offer. Better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick I guess. Would have preferred my wife be able to happily ride the bike now but this has given time to install her lowering kit, sliders, and levers. It will be when she finishes the course this weekend that the torture will begin.

#24 ·
Transport Canada Recalls CBR300R's

Transport Canada have issued a recall encompassing over 8,000 Honda motorcycles from the 2014 and 2015 model years, including the 2015 CBR300R.

Transport Canada issued the recall due to a potentially faulty starter relay switches. They claim sealant on the switchgear may have been applied incorrectly, which could potentially cause electrical shorts or force the whole system to shut down. Risks potentially incluedes fires or crashes. Contact your local dealer for further instruction.

Recall Details from Transport Canada:

On certain motorcycles, the starter relay switch may have had sealant incorrectly applied during assembly. This could result in increased resistance across the main fuse, potentially interrupting battery voltage to the electrical system. An interruption of battery voltage to the electrical system could cause the engine to either not start or stall while driving. Increased resistance at the main fuse could also cause a fire, potentially resulting in injury and/or property damage. Correction: Dealers will inspect the starter relay switch, and replace if necessary.

#26 ·

Transport Canada have issued a recall encompassing over 8,000 Honda motorcycles from the 2014 and 2015 model years, including the 2015 CBR300R.

Transport Canada issued the recall due to a potentially faulty starter relay switches. They claim sealant on the switchgear may have been applied incorrectly, which could potentially cause electrical shorts or force the whole system to shut down. Risks potentially incluedes fires or crashes. Contact your local dealer for further instruction.

Recall Details from Transport Canada:

There are already 2 threads discussing this. Please read before you post.

#31 ·
No news yet for the Uk on the recall situation. Spoke to my dealer who was aware of the info flying about on the interwebnet thing. But it would appear that nothing has filtered down on this side of the pond. he assured me that as soon as they knew something then they would be in touch. So far no probs with mine.:)

#33 ·
My bike has cut out on me half a dozen times over the last 9 months, sometimes when stationary and sometimes when moving. I assumed it was road grime affecting the kickstand sensor and have been cleaning it regularly in an attempt to troubleshoot the issue. Nice to know what the problem is...hopefully a solution is forthcoming.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.