post #1 of 11 Old 08-29-2019, 02:55 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
"Flipped" handlebars?

Hey all!

I recently came across a CB500F at my local bike shop* that looked especially sharp... When reading the details, they said the bars have been "flipped over". And yes, on closer inspection, that is the case:

I haven't adjusted my handlebars (outside of the windscreen install) because the overall ergonomics on my CB300F as-is are OK, but my nagging complaint with the bike is that I'm too upright during slogs on the highway / spirited riding.** It's great when navigating the city streets at low speed, but I tend to have to consciously tuck down at higher speeds and when cornering. And it feels somewhat unnatural, like I should be more tucked but the bike is like "huh, why? I'm just a starter steed!"

For those who haven't followed along***, I'm pretty set on a Suzuki SV650X with the clip-ons for a next mount, for the slightly more aggressive tuck, V-twin, and all that jazz. In the interim, I'm thinking about options for the CB300F for a slightly more tucked-in posture. But I'm not wholly set on spending more $$$ on the 300 (see my previous thread about rearsets... ). Tonight doing various internet searches, I'm coming up with a lot of irrelevant results. So: what are your collective thoughts on this (admittedly cheapskate) mod? I'll play around with the available adjustment with the bars right-side up and get back to you all, but I have an itch to try this out... Probably just a late night, inebriated itch, but nonetheless...

* (still get a kick out of that, since I still relate LBS as slang for local bicycle shop..)
** (I can, of course, tuck down when thinking about it / my cornering posture that I'm working on.)
*** (I think we're all friends here.. You're probably aware)

2015 CB300F
purchased 2,390 mi // currently 9.7k+ mi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-29-2019, 06:21 AM

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1788 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
Hey all!

I recently came across a CB500F at my local bike shop* that looked especially sharp... When reading the details, they said the bars have been "flipped over". And yes, on closer inspection, that is the case:

...what are your collective thoughts on this
Despite looking similar to a long horn cattle beast from some angles it kinda works.
I'm a tucker from way back. One of my first mods on any bike I buy is lower clip ons. I hate cutting wind and I like the more direct feedback the sportier position provides when hard cornering.
So it's a 'yes' from me.
shisoshin likes this.

2014 CBR300 (sold)
2018 Ninja 400
post #3 of 11 Old 08-29-2019, 11:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
It sometimes works quite well; my SR500 flat tracker had a “Superbike style” alloy handlebar on it. When I took it road racing, I flipped the bars and did just fine. I tried clip-ons, but I’m a big galoot, and they were just too close together for my gibbon frame. Went back to the flip. Without a bunch of fiddle measuring, the only way to tell if it will work is to try it. At least it only costs time!
kiwi rider likes this.

post #4 of 11 Old 08-30-2019, 12:15 AM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
this has been a fairly common mod [in australia at least] for ages..
another mod for tilting forward is to pivot riding position upwards from below, such as yoshi rear set plates with 2 upward and rearward options..
this allows for better ergos without roaching lower back etc..
advantage of lifting feet/toes away from road surface..
kiwi rider likes this.
post #5 of 11 Old 09-02-2019, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
I've already arranged my bottom-half to be as up and to the rear as my feet can be on the stock pegs, which I've decided to stay with for the time being.

So I finally received and installed the lith-ion battery (wow, so light, wow) and adjusted the bars downward. I'm surprised and pleased to say the controls do not hit the tank at full crank. Also, with adjusting the cables and my fleabay adjustable levers, my clutch action into neutral has become superb! Very easy to find from 1st and 2nd. So I'm quite pleased with the bike and will be going for a nice ride later today.

2015 CB300F
purchased 2,390 mi // currently 9.7k+ mi
post #6 of 11 Old 09-03-2019, 03:46 AM

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1788 Post(s)
Thumbs up

Looks good! Works for me. Yeah those batteries are crazy light.

2014 CBR300 (sold)
2018 Ninja 400
post #7 of 11 Old 09-03-2019, 09:31 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
My whole thing is to try to have a neutral pressure on my palms at 50mph. I’ve switched bars constantly till I get this. Like Dan, I’m pretty big, so my big ol parachute body and the CBR300R match up pretty good.
The bike I had before this was a cruiser style and I had to go to drag bars to get the neutral feel.

Brad Bachelor
"Marrying an old bachelor is like buying second-hand furniture." - Helen Rowland

Current: 2018 CBR300

Former Rides: 1971 Honda CT90, 1973 Honda CB175, 1978 Yamaha XS650, 1981 Honda CM200T, 1983 Yamaha XJ650 Turbo,1983 Honda VF750S, 1985 Kawasaki GPZ550, 1989 CBR600F1, 2006 Yamaha TW200, 2006 Suzuki GZ250, 2014 Honda CTX700N
post #8 of 11 Old 09-04-2019, 10:46 AM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
getting ergos for comfort and brain/body training and the right relationship with body to aerodynamics [compare 'flying' in skydiving to a parachute] make all the difference for any ride but especially long fast rides...
it really is worthwhile tailoring your bike to you/your body..
even down to gloves and boots [etc] for the ride..
post #9 of 11 Old 09-04-2019, 01:00 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Here is a mod I did to my last bike. Again.... it was for neutral position at 50 mph. These were $25 Drag Bars off eBay

Be very careful lock to lock when you swing the bars. I had thought I measured carefully before I bought em, but I still had to adjust them up so they wouldn't hit the tank.

I ended up really happy with the way they turned out. If I coulda made my legs as happy as my arms, I still would probably own the bike.
kiwi rider likes this.

Brad Bachelor
"Marrying an old bachelor is like buying second-hand furniture." - Helen Rowland

Current: 2018 CBR300

Former Rides: 1971 Honda CT90, 1973 Honda CB175, 1978 Yamaha XS650, 1981 Honda CM200T, 1983 Yamaha XJ650 Turbo,1983 Honda VF750S, 1985 Kawasaki GPZ550, 1989 CBR600F1, 2006 Yamaha TW200, 2006 Suzuki GZ250, 2014 Honda CTX700N
post #10 of 11 Old 09-05-2019, 03:31 AM

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Bachelor View Post

Be very careful lock to lock when you swing the bars. I had thought I measured carefully before I bought em, but I still had to adjust them up so they wouldn't hit the tank.
Yeah, now that you mention it, my SR500 had to have stops to keep the controls away from the tank. Partly because the tank was “percussion modified” to allow the fork tubes to swing farther. Flat track needs lock.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page