CB300F - A review of my surprisingly capable little bike - Page 2 - Honda CBR 300 Forum
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 14 Old 06-30-2018, 01:14 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimShortz View Post
Hi Tier1, the brakes seem reasonably fine to me, but maybe I've just not got used to something better - easily pleased, lol... I also don't find that I get an excessive amount of dive when braking, BUT I certainly did on my CBR250. I cured that by the addition of 10ml fluid to each leg.
Interesting...

To start, I don't consider myself a fatty, I'm only ~75kg with all my gear on and supposedly the stock suspension is designed for people around that weight.

I'm not gonna claim that I'm some suspension guru since I'm not but I do know what I like and I have experience with plush as **** mountain bike suspension that just floats over gnar. Right off the bat sitting on and riding off with the 300, the suspension felt like it was weak sauce and just felt off (obviously I'm not gonna be running 30-35% sag on a street bike because it's not a shred sled, but for a street bike the stock settings just feel "off"). I could never shake that feeling even after owning it for 2 and a half seasons, but on the other hand I don't want to dump too much into the bike. Maybe this is why I feel like I need to get a CRF450L to turn into a Sumo and get the suspension dialled in just right because then I'll have the travel that I "think" I need for the street.

I've heard of people putting in 170mL of 15 wt. fluid in the forks to help with the dampening which is what I was going to do but then I'd have to balance it out with some stronger springs so that the rebound isn't slowed down too much. That said, I've decided what I'm going to do WRT the fork, and I'm on the fence about this sort of half janky thing I saw on CBR250.net about fitting an OEM R6 shock on the CBR...

READY TO >> RACE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 Old 06-30-2018, 05:14 PM

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1762 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tier1 View Post

I've heard of people putting in 170mL of 15 wt. fluid in the forks to help with the dampening which is what I was going to do but then I'd have to balance it out with some stronger springs so that the rebound isn't slowed down too much. That said, I've decided what I'm going to do WRT the fork, and I'm on the fence about this sort of half janky thing I saw on CBR250.net about fitting an OEM R6 shock on the CBR...
In the last couple of years I've had to learn a bit more about suspension for my racing hobby. Here's what i know: A smaller air gap ie. adding more fork fluid stops the fork bottoming out so far down the stroke as fluid is not compressible like air. Changing to a thicker oil is a good trick for slowing down the action and could potentially stop some of that pogoing the CBR front end is known for.
Fitting emulators only provides adjustment for compression damping, the rebound stroke can only be controlled by different oil viscosities. For example I run conventional forks on My SV with racetech springs and emulators but use 20W oil to get the correct damping for my light weight.

If you dont want to splash out on a whole new set of internals with comp and rebound adjustment then just changing your spring rate is the best option. A set of racetech springs in say .75kg/mm will set you back a bit over $100 and would be money well spent. Standard spring rate is .49kg/mm which is woeful.

https://www.solomotoparts.com/Race-T...for-CBR250-11/

The rear shock is a sealed unit so there's not much you can do there unless you want to throw serious cash at it and replace. Yep, that R6 rear shock conversion sounds interesting, looked at that too. Potentially the spring rate may be a bit stiff though for the CBR. Would be a bugger to buy a second hand shock and then find you needed to swap the spring out... more $$$

2014 CBR300 (sold)
2018 Ninja 400
post #13 of 14 Old 06-30-2018, 10:58 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tier1 View Post
Interesting...

To start, I don't consider myself a fatty, I'm only ~75kg with all my gear on and supposedly the stock suspension is designed for people around that weight.
I've also ridden quality full suspension mountain bikes and their suspension kicks ass, but they have so little bike weight to deal with... I don't think you can expect a bike targeted at asphalt use to get anywhere near that kind of comfort/dealing with bumps, especially at this price point. If that's what you are after a high spec dirt bike may indeed be the answer.

I'm 80kg and find that with just me on board I need the suspension on it's lowest preload setting. It seems to have been designed with a fattening world in mind! It sure isn't the most refined suspension ever, but I find it serviceable... If you find ways to improve it without too much expense please share. I would love to follow you!

ďNever argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.Ē George Carlin

post #14 of 14 Old 08-23-2018, 05:47 PM

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1762 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimShortz View Post
I'm looking at your bike list and seeing the Ninja 400 - if I do "go large" that would be my choice too, or perhaps even the Z400 that I believe will be coming soon. I do like a naked bike... Either one is nice and light, just more power, lol! How do you like it?
Yep, it looks like you were onto it:

https://www.visordown.com/motorcycle...00-coming-2019

Naked Ninja 400 for 2019.

2014 CBR300 (sold)
2018 Ninja 400

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page