40Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 30 Old 08-21-2019, 02:38 PM

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1788 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by King CobRa View Post

So is that the consensus that I need to replace it? Now that you see the extra photographs? I feel stupid to ask but since i bought the bike used I have no idea what a proper shift lever is supposed to look like.
It's a little bent but not crazy bad. looking straight down the shift lever should be more parallel with the foot peg.
Those CBR pedals/levers are made from steel so you can easily bend them a bit without snapping like aluminium is prone too.
I would remove it from the bike and hold it in a vice by the pivot section (clamp it so the two cylindrical ends are covered by the jaws) and then whack the inside of the pedal with a solid rubber hammer or a steel hammer with a block of wood inbetween the two to prevent damage.
Tap it round until you think it's right then check on bike and give it more if necessary. Small amounts is best.
Will save you some $$. Otherwise it looks in good condition, rubber is hardly worn etc.

2014 CBR300 (sold)
2018 Ninja 400
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 30 Old 08-21-2019, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Thanks guys. Im sure I am over-reacting but just in general I am very leery of any vehicle that has been in a wreck and now that i see this evidence it makes me fear the worst: That the bike was involved in a wreck.

When I buy a used car if I see it was in a wreck I dont buy it regardless of the price. Because you never know what issues will arise further down the road when a vehicle has been crashed.

For example in this same thread when speaking of the symptoms of "does not click on downshift" people thought it had to do with the clutch lever freeplay but now since LEARNING that the bike was involved in an accident we see bent shift lever.

I remember asking the motorcycle mechanic point blank "Do you see evidence that this bike was involved in a major accident" and he said "I dont think so.
Those handlebars can get bent just from a stationary drop."

But now the evidence is starting to pile up that it was not just a stationary drop. Sigh. I have only myself to blame due to my own ignorance. I probably could have gotten the bike for $2000 instead of $2400. The seller was asking $2700 and I offered him $2400 and he said "Okay"

I did not make an offer of $2000 because I thought it would be insulting. I just hope the bike is going to be okay, i dont know how much abuse the poor motorcycles can absorb from being crashed. i wonder also if the seller changed the exhaust because the exhaust had not even a scratch on it.

The brake lever was completely bent to **** (which is on the right side of the bike) and the right bar end was scratched up. But now if the shift lever on the left side of the bike is bent then it really is confusing to me to recreate what events transpired. 2 different drops? Yikes.

Sorry for venting my anger but what kind of stupid idiot drops a bike twice in under 1900 miles? (Im not talking about stationary drops) I hope that moron never rides a motorcycle again, he is obviously unfit to ride a motorcycle. What a clown.

Sorry for the emotional outburst, I am on my period.
Hi-Viz-Honda and airhead83 like this.

2016 CB300F - 8000 miles - 100% stock config
post #23 of 30 Old 08-21-2019, 07:34 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
could easily have been two or more drops at any impact level..
side drops and slow speed drops maneuvering, underestimating tight turns etc, are common generally with new bikes/novice riders, but also generally.. hand and foot levers work according to how they're held and how feet align with levers/end toe contact points..
eg, try making fists quickly with extended arm/s, for as long as its easy,, then repeat [after rest] with arm to shoulder joints relaxed, with relaxed wrists, elbows and shoulders.. relaxed arms/hands make more better fists - analogous to efficiency/effectiveness..
same/similar for ankles/feet on foot levers,, if foot is well aligned [snug] to lever and toe contact point, mechanical advantage is available, compared to 'penguin feet' out at an angle thus likely to make less effective contact, thus movement, thru lever..
novices often assume like 'its just a lever' thus they can easily use it, without [perhaps] learning good specific alignments thus skills..

not to say shifting etc is highly technical or difficult, yet it is another specific relationship requiring coordinated movements, all of which benefit from basic efficiency and repetition of the skill..
- thus benefits of instruction and practice of the skills -
[my son learned to ride away from me, so first tight roundabout he went off into a ditch, not knowing about counter steering and such as too fast entry speed etc.. first time i rode behind him, first thing obvious was 'pelican feet' out and down at angles, close to the road surface cornering.. etc.. even just simple feedback and a few hints made his riding better/safer]
point here being bent levers etc may amplify poor technique, or good technique may allow better use of equipment/tools...

post #24 of 30 Old 08-22-2019, 05:13 AM

Quote:
... The brake lever was completely bent to **** (which is on the right side of the bike) and the right bar end was scratched up. But now if the shift lever on the left side of the bike is bent then it really is confusing to me to recreate what events transpired. 2 different drops? Yikes.
A brake lever bent around is a sign of a stationary drop. If you drop the bike at speed on the right hand side it tends to either snap it right off or more commonly grind the end of it down on the road surface. I'm speaking from first hand experience of both types of crash here unfortunately!

Id say your bike is structurally fine (frame, swing arm etc) it's just been dropped a couple of times by a novice. It still sounds like a reasonable buy to me - $2400 for a bike with less than 2K miles on it, so I wouldn't get too down about your purchase.

2014 CBR300 (sold)
2018 Ninja 400
post #25 of 30 Old 08-22-2019, 10:17 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the words of cheering up. Its true that I have not really had any major problems with the bike. If I was to write a 1 year ownership report I would list problems as:

* Replaced bent handlebars
* Replaced bent brake lever
* Replaced side mirror (stationary drop of mine) from parking in sand

And that is no fault of Honda. So the bike has been 100% reliable. Then there are my upgrades:

* Led headlamp bulb
* Led tailight bulb
* Fraam highway blaster horn (High)
* Cellular phone mount

The good news I see about the price is that these bikes seem to stay at $2500 or above so long as they are not wrecked or missing/salvage title. I mean even if it had 80,000 miles (130,000 km) on it I have not seen one for less than $2500

post #26 of 30 Old 08-22-2019, 06:46 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
one way to test for normal alignments etc, after being taken out or a drop with any impact is to ride hands off bars [not, in traffic etc], where aside from road camber, bike will track without subconscious corrections we typically make mainly thru bars..

if it goes down including sliding but without tumbling etc, basic alignments, frame etc, should stand up to it..
as kiwi notes, replaceable parts that touch down are designed to bend or otherwise take the impact, including bar ends, mirrors, blinkers and footpegs..

side drops are not uncommon in a bikes life, so dont read too much into lever ends or suchlike..
kiwi rider and King CobRa like this.
post #27 of 30 Old 08-22-2019, 10:15 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Quote:
The good news I see about the price is that these bikes seem to stay at $2500 or above so long as they are not wrecked or missing/salvage title. I mean even if it had 80,000 miles (130,000 km) on it I have not seen one for less than $2500
I'll sell mine when it has cost me <$100/month to own it. Right now it's at $195 so 3 more years to go before I sell for that $2500.
King CobRa likes this.

2016 CBR300R non-ABS
post #28 of 30 Old 08-22-2019, 10:30 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi-Viz-Honda View Post
I'll sell mine when it has cost me <$100/month to own it. Right now it's at $195 so 3 more years to go before I sell for that $2500.
i hear you but I am also jelous of you because I would prefer the CBR300 instead of my naked version. The fairings cut thru the wind on the highway much better and make for a more comfortable ride. My next bike is going to be a CBR500

But since I cannot be without a moto it means that I have to save up the $5000 in cash to buy the CBR500 used so thats going to take me about 2-3 years and I have 3 more oil filters of CB300F so that should work out perfect.

Yes, you poor blokes will have to put up with me on this forum for another 3 years. But the temptation to upgrade is very strong. Especially these 2019 models of Kawasaki and Suzuki. I enjoy watching the review videos on YouTube for all these middleweight bikes.
Hi-Viz-Honda and airhead83 like this.

post #29 of 30 Old 08-22-2019, 11:05 PM

Quote:
...so thats going to take me about 2-3 years and I have 3 more oil filters of CB300F so that should work out perfect.

Yes, you poor blokes will have to put up with me on this forum for another 3 years.
Wot?? Three more years!
5a6c2283a90edd21c8815cf3c80c924b.gif

Quick, someone hide those oil filters
King CobRa and airhead83 like this.

2014 CBR300 (sold)
2018 Ninja 400
post #30 of 30 Old 09-02-2019, 08:15 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Garage
That shift pedal doesnt look bent to me?

whens the last time you did an oil change? having recently pulled my engine allllllllll the way apart, (including the transmission!) i can tell you that manually actuating it through the gears was much easier after i took it all apart and greased up the sliding parts. If it's been a while since your last oil change, or maybe if you're using an atypical motor oil, i can imagine it contribute to occasional poor transmission performance...
King CobRa and airhead83 like this.

2015 CBR300R with engine problems...making videos about how to fix:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page