Honda CBR 300 Forum

Honda CBR 300 Forum (https://www.cbr300forum.com/forum/honda-cbr-300.html)
-   CB300F General Discussion (https://www.cbr300forum.com/forum/cb300f-general-discussion/)
-   -   Downshifting does nothing (no clicks) (https://www.cbr300forum.com/forum/cb300f-general-discussion/26870-downshifting-does-nothing-no-clicks.html)

King CobRa 08-17-2019 12:42 AM

Downshifting does nothing (no clicks)

This has happened to me a few times when coming up to a red light. I downshift and "nothing happens". No clicks. Then I hold the clutch in and with force I click down, down, down, down and eventually finally I hear the clicks of downshifting.

Can anyone explain this phenomenon? I admit that I loosened the clutch freeplay a little bit looser than the 10mm - 20mm range that is recommended in the owners manual.

This has happened to me maybe 6 times total in the 5000 miles that I have been riding. On 2 occasions I had "horrible shifts" where I think that I did not click up hard enough and maybe the transmission was "in between 2 gears" or something because it made a LOUD and TERRIBLE noise and I immediately pulled in the clutch and pulled over to the side of the road and stopped, put it in Neautral and started over.

Also when I was learning "clutchless upshifting" I had a few bad shifts where the bike lurched forward because I made the mistake of "clutchless upshifting" from 2nd to 3rd gear. But with our gearbox it simply cannot handle clutchless upshifts except in gears 4,5 and 6. If you try to do it in gears 2 or 3 it will lurch forward violently.

Update: LoL, I guess nobody on this forum will ever buy my bike used now......I mean after making these admissions =)

MotoMike 08-17-2019 12:28 PM

Too much clutch free play doesn't help... adjust it back to the factory spec and you'll be fine.

King CobRa 08-17-2019 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MotoMike (Post 332064)
Too much clutch free play doesn't help... adjust it back to the factory spec and you'll be fine.

Also the mechanic told me 2 weeks ago that the shift lever was bent. Could this also be a contributing cause?

It appears the bike i bought used was involved in a pretty major accident. Bent handlebars and bent shift lever

I will post a picture of the shift lever within a day or 2

MotoMike 08-18-2019 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by King CobRa (Post 332066)
Also the mechanic told me 2 weeks ago that the shift lever was bent. Could this also be a contributing cause?

It appears the bike i bought used was involved in a pretty major accident. Bent handlebars and bent shift lever

How long have you had the bike, a year or so? Kind of surprised you've just recently noticed this stuff.

King CobRa 08-18-2019 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MotoMike (Post 332072)
How long have you had the bike, a year or so? Kind of surprised you've just recently noticed this stuff.

Its been about 9 months since I bought it. i had the handlebars replaced by mechanic about 2 weeks ago and he had adjusted the clutch freeplay tight as heck. So i loosened it back to how it was before the handlebars where replaced. I mean at the mechanics parking lot I asked mechanic to loosen it and he did.

Then the bike did not look aligned (the dash seemed like it was cocked off to the side to 11 o'clock. So I loosened the fork bolts and jumped up and down (following a YouTube tutorial) and now it seems straight once again. The mechanic had wanted to charge me $35 extra to do the fork alignment.

The last 2 days I have been riding ALOT.................. like almost 100 miles per day and I have not had any shifting problems. I normally wear motorcycle specific boots and recently had been wearing plain old sneakers and now that i went back to the boots I havent had any shifting problems so maybe that may have something to do with it as well. With the boots it takes less force to shift than it does with plain sneakers.

I will update thread after a few days. Perhaps my skills are rusty because I did not ride for almost 2 weeks. We will see. And I will tighten the clutch freeplay back to spec of max 20mm and i think I had it at 25mm (maybe 23 mm)

The mechanic is the one that had said the 25mm would be "just fine, no problem on this particular bike". So i just took his word for it.

At the mechanic shop I told him "make it as loose as possible without it harming the clutch or tranny"

motorboy 08-18-2019 10:20 AM

all my Honds's seem to like 20mm at the end of the lever and shoe,boot selection is very important for smooth clean shifts I can not wear one shoe for both bikes-every bike I buy I go throught a list of thing I do and shoe,boot selection is on the list

King CobRa 08-19-2019 07:29 PM

Just wanted to update that the downshifting issues appear to be resolved ever since the I tightened the clutch freeplay back to the recommended 19mm. I also verified this by turning the wheel all the way to left, right and to center and it is always at 19mm or under.

So it appears that the motorcycle mechanic gave me incorrect advice when he told me I could let the clutch freeplay out to 25mm. Thank you kindly to your guys on the forum that gave me the correct information.

I guess we cant expect that an indy motorcycle mechanic that works on all types of bikes (including harleys) would know all the specific facts about our bike. But this forum is where the true experts reside.

shisoshin 08-19-2019 11:43 PM

on shifting generally, think firm but gentle.. opposite of 'stomping'..
from second to neutral use a light tap down, compared to pressing into, first..
if it doesnt go easily [any gear] add light short rev with change as revs drop..
- these are just hints, or starting points for variable individual technique -
light rev pre downshift is good basic habit for developing smooth changing, and with engine braking, or not, depending on the situation..
lights will change, so best anticipate your slowing towards the red thus change down smoothly to very low speed [feet up] thus avoiding [most] stops thus foot down and starting again from first.. compare ratbags screaming thru gears then braking hard at every set of lights..

slow riding feet up best for negotiating slow traffic and [low speed] filtering to the front at lights.. just another basic riding skill..

MotoMike 08-20-2019 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by King CobRa (Post 332066)

Did you get a pic of shift pedal?

If it is bent, that can make shifting difficult as well. Speaking of the shift pedal, the post that it pivots on needs to be lubricated with grease or anti-seize compound (my preference) a least once a year.

King CobRa 08-21-2019 10:57 AM