Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

Ran out of gas on the Highway

5K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Zeke 
#1 ·
Had the scare of my life today, I was on the Highway going 85 mph when the bike started to jerk and lurch and i was on Florida Turnpike where there are not many exits, sometimes you have to go 20 miles before the next exit.

I remember getting over all the way to the emergency shoulder and I was praying to God that I would not end up stopped with cars whizzing by me at 90 mph and above.

Somehow i managed to make it to the next exit and find a gas station. And here was the reading:

I must have miscalculated the miles on my trip meter after the Winter storage. But WOW! was that ever a terrifying experience, My heart must have been beating over 200 bpm. Then when I get to the gas station I discover I had left my wallet at home. Somehow by some tremendous good fortune I found a $10 bill in my motorcycle jacket pocket.

Now recommend others to hide a $20 bill in a secret place on the motorcycle (just in case) to have as emergency money.

I generally fill a large gas can with 6 gallons and that is good enough for 2 fill-ups of the moto. I have been getting about 75 mpg and ride to 225 on the trip meter. But will change that to only 215 from now on or maybe even 210. No need to take such risks.

See less See more
#4 ·
Great Idea!!! I’m going to start doing this!!

Reactions: King CobRa
#7 ·
I do miss the days of the reserve on the fuel petcock. When the bike starts sputtering, calmly reach down and turn the lever.....instant 30 miles left reminder...... of course I still ran out sometimes.....

Math is hard......

#11 ·
CB300F does indeed have a gauge, where it starts to flash when you're at the last bar. I freaked out the first time I ran the bike this low — I was in Michigan's upper peninsula, at night, miles and miles from the nearest gas stations (which ended up being closed), and I putted along the side of the road at low speeds with the occasional cager confused/blowing by me. Agree with others re: the physicality of the petcock giving you much more assurance than a nebulous blinking light.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.