27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 10-17-2019, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Almost time to put her to rest for the winter...

Temps have been in the 40s (single digits for you reasonable people using celsius) the past few weeks here in Minneapolis, with a few nicer days hitting 50. My commute to campus is less than 10 minutes, with a short excursion on the highway, so I've still been taking Suzuka, but we're getting flurries some days and it's about time to put the snows on the car and store the bike for the winter. I've been seeing fewer and fewer bikes out, although the scooter college kids are still roughing it around town. (And some bicyclists in this city go year-round, snow and all!)

So the topic for conversation: How long is your biking season? How far do you push it through cold/wet/bad weather?

2015 CB300F
purchased 2,390 mi // currently 9.7k+ mi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 10-17-2019, 05:01 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Garage
I don't ride now if the temperature is near freezing or we have salt on the roads but other than that if it is dry I will go out. I did all the riding in snow etc years ago and being long retired, only go out for pleasure now.
shisoshin, Sam R. and airhead83 like this.

Don't worry about old age - it doesn't last that long.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2016 CBR300RA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 Old 10-17-2019, 08:50 PM

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1790 Post(s)
With global warming/climate change/fake news/woteva we are now getting less harsh winters here in NZ so I'm finding I can still sneak in the odd short ride in the winter months (June - August) now. Has to be the right sort of day with full sun out and good road conditions but can be done and it's good to give the bike a run as you know.

Like Gromit I did my fair share of winter riding when I was young and keen. Have surrendered gracefully now.
I'm a recreational rider, not a commuter.
shisoshin, Gromit, Sam R. and 1 others like this.

2014 CBR300 (sold)
2018 Ninja 400

post #4 of 18 Old 10-17-2019, 09:12 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
My bike sleeps outside until I put it in storage. I'm putting it away by Halloween. We had 50 mph gusts of wind today and it knocked my bike over. I came home from work in my car and when I saw the bike on its side I almost lost my mind. First drop ever and it wasn't even my fault. The mirror, bar-end weight, middle fairing, exhaust bracket are all scratched up and need to be replaced. The worst damage is the crankcase cover is a bit dented. I'm hoping nothing bad happens when I try to start it up after this insane wind goes away. I literally hate fall/winter in NJ. I have to find a way to move to SoCal or something.

2016 CBR300R non-ABS
post #5 of 18 Old 10-17-2019, 11:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
The coldest it gets in the Bay Area is maybe mid 30s on some days, so my riding season is all year. I commute to work everyday except for in rain since I don't have the right gear for it.
Sam R. likes this.
post #6 of 18 Old 10-18-2019, 02:29 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Well, I’m a bit north of geronimo, but the climate is surprisingly similar. However, I do have rain gear, so I will commute as long as traction allows. Below zero or snow, I take the bus. Otherwise, I press on regardless. The OP has no choice but to park it; I used to live in Winnipeg, so I know whereof he speaks.
Zeke and Sam R. like this.
post #7 of 18 Old 10-18-2019, 12:59 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Garage
Here in the deep south winter is anything under 60 degrees -today is sunny 70 degrees so I'm off for ride-I have found out cold and age go hand in hand- 30-40 years ago low 30's was ok now fast forward I don't get out under 60 with sun
Sam R. and airhead83 like this.
post #8 of 18 Old 10-18-2019, 06:26 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Garage
Like others have written here, I once rode in frigid weather, tolerating brain freeze in the days of pre full face helmets, those days are gone. We're due 50+F this Sunday, I plan to take the bike out on any remaining similar days then moth ball it for the winter.
post #9 of 18 Old 10-18-2019, 11:38 PM

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
In Miami we have a 2 week period where it drops under 55 F and I dont ride for those 2 weeks. In fact you see very few people on the street compared to usual on those 2 weeks.

But if I was up North I could probably push it to 30 F but that would be the limit. I remember being in Chicago when it was 20F and my teeth where chattering (literally)
airhead83 likes this.

2016 CB300F - 8000 miles - 100% stock config
post #10 of 18 Old 10-19-2019, 10:37 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
It feels like we didn't get a proper Fall season. Was 75F last week. Right now it's 45. Im not riding today. Putting the bike away next weekend.

2016 CBR300R non-ABS

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page