• 1 Post By kiwi rider

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 08-20-2016, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 787 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
TST Industries LED Flasher Relay Install

I bought this new relay from TST($19.99 + $4.95 shipping) so I can do away with my 4 HOT HOT resistors. Very simple install and it's specifically made for our 9 pin flasher relay, plug and play.
The relay comes with 3 wires, white(LED circuit) and 2 black wires, 1 piggybacked off the other.
You remove the Grey and Black wires out of the stock harness.
Plug the white wire on the new relay into the grey wire and put some shrink tube on the connection.
Plug the black wire on the relay onto the black wire from the harness and shrink tube the connection.
Take the other piggybacked black wire on the relay and reinsert the pin into the stock harness.
Then just zip-tie the new relay anywhere you like and you're done! No more HOT resistors.
It's a 15 minute job if you have some experience taking off fairings.
They also have a YouTube video showing the complete install from removal of the fairing to wiring the relay, and putting the fairings back on..they actually use a cbr300r for the install too

You can also adjust the flash rate on the relay, faster or slower, but it comes set at the stock flash rate.

btw I did use heat shrink tubing on all the connections and then wrapped electrical tape around it all just to be extra safe. (I'm OCD like that!)
kiwi rider likes this.

Last edited by mikal; 02-26-2017 at 02:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-20-2016, 05:55 PM

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1732 Post(s)
Thumbs up

Tidy job mate and good info.
I'm looking forward to getting a bike with all LED lighting standard, like the new 250RR has.
mikal likes this.

2014 CBR300 (sold)
2018 Ninja 400
post #3 of 7 Old 08-20-2016, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
The whole purpose of LED lights is to conserve electricity. When using resistors on all 4 flashers it's just drawing the same amount as if it had the stock bulbs. With the relay now all 4 turn signals draw very minimal electricity.

post #4 of 7 Old 08-20-2016, 11:36 PM

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1732 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikal View Post
The whole purpose of LED lights is to conserve electricity. When using resistors on all 4 flashers it's just drawing the same amount as if it had the stock bulbs. With the relay now all 4 turn signals draw very minimal electricity.
Not sure about overseas markets but here in NZ our headlights are hard wired on by law. Not a good scenario for doing a cold start with a battery low on charge. This will be another benefit of getting a bike with full LED lighting.

2014 CBR300 (sold)
2018 Ninja 400
post #5 of 7 Old 08-21-2016, 07:08 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi rider View Post
Not sure about overseas markets but here in NZ our headlights are hard wired on by law. Not a good scenario for doing a cold start with a battery low on charge. This will be another benefit of getting a bike with full LED lighting.
Yah our 300's single headlight plus 2 front drivers/turn signal lights are hard wired on all the time also. They did that with cars here for a while 'daytime driving lights' but that fad went away pretty fast
post #6 of 7 Old 08-21-2016, 01:26 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Garage
In Germany, head light is also hard wired. I installed LED indicators with relay. Head light would be difficult, because I must have a certified light including reflector. Just replacing the bulb is not permitted.
post #7 of 7 Old 08-22-2016, 07:42 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwaihir View Post
In Germany, head light is also hard wired. I installed LED indicators with relay. Head light would be difficult, because I must have a certified light including reflector. Just replacing the bulb is not permitted.

Did you use a generic relay? That sux that some countries are so strict on mods. You would think the U.S. with its umpteen million regulations would the strictest. Florida is by far the most lenient State, though. No safety or emissions inspections. If a cop pulled you over he may get you for something but only if he's really pissed at you lol. But fortunately, our cops are very laid back as well. Geez I think just about every mod/farkle on my bike is illegal

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page