LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 01-30-2017, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
pvb

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Tail light confusion!

My tail light is out, but comes on when front brake is depressed. Brake light does not come on when rear brake is depressed. Rear turn signals work, but do not stay on for running lights. I checked fuses, all okay. Rear bulb is okay. turn signal bulbs are okay. Does it have to do with the brake light not coming on when freer brake is depressed. I'm so confused...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-30-2017, 06:22 PM

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1732 Post(s)
Firstly I would replace that tail light bulb to eliminate it as they are cheap and the filament for the tail light may be broken. Also I'm guessing the rear brake light activator switch down by the rear pedal needs adjusting so that when you push the pedal down it works the switch fully. It has an adjustable thread on it. See how you go with that.
mikal and dsimmo like this.

2014 CBR300 (sold)
2018 Ninja 400
post #3 of 7 Old 01-30-2017, 07:24 PM
JNO

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
If the BRAKE LIGHT comes on when you squeeze the front brake lever then the bulb and associated wiring is OK. I would check operation of the rear brake pedal switch. It might be dead, require adjustment or have a poor connection.

Are you also saying that the TAIL LIGHT (running light) is out? This should be on whenever the front lights are on. If the front lights come on OK but the tail light does not, then it's likely the bulb, as Kiwi said. If no running lights come on when they should, then it's likely a fuse or the light switch, though it could be a wiring issue, which could be tricky to track down.

Good luck!

I propose to live forever. So far, so good.

To date: Honda C70 Super Cub, Honda CB100, MZ125, MZ250, Suzuki GSX1100F, Yamaha XJ900, Kawasaki ZZR1100, Yamaha XJR1300SP, Honda NSA700, Honda CBR300R

Last edited by JNO; 01-30-2017 at 07:27 PM.

post #4 of 7 Old 01-30-2017, 07:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Turn signals do not function as running lights. That part is as it should be. Well, not as it should be IMO, but as Honda designed it.
post #5 of 7 Old 01-31-2017, 06:36 PM

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 787 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi rider View Post
Firstly I would replace that tail light bulb to eliminate it as they are cheap and the filament for the tail light may be broken. Also I'm guessing the rear brake light activator switch down by the rear pedal needs adjusting so that when you push the pedal down it works the switch fully. It has an adjustable thread on it. See how you go with that.
Like I said, I hated that cheap stock plastic brake switch lol
post #6 of 7 Old 01-31-2017, 06:40 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan German View Post
Turn signals do not function as running lights. That part is as it should be. Well, not as it should be IMO, but as Honda designed it.
Correct, rear turn signals are not supposed to function as running lights, whereas the front turn signals do have running light filaments... however that's not a fault of Honda's design, but rather a US DOT requirement.

To the OP, as others have said it sounds like you've got a simple case of 1) a burned out tail light bulb filament, and 2) your rear brake light switch being adjusted too low on the switch bracket. Easy to adjust, just rotate the knurled nut on the switch so as to raise the switch on the bracket. Don't go too high, or the brake light will be on all the time... you want it adjusted so that the brake light comes on just after the rear brake pedal is slightly depressed.
dsimmo likes this.

“Machines never lie.
Success will always come if they’re really good.
So let’s show the world what we’ve done.
Then they can see the real Honda!”

- Founder Soichiro Honda at the inception of the Honda Collection Hall.

Former Factory Test Rider/Technician
post #7 of 7 Old 02-05-2017, 12:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMike View Post
Correct, rear turn signals are not supposed to function as running lights, whereas the front turn signals do have running light filaments... however that's not a fault of Honda's design, but rather a US DOT requirement.
Ah. Should have known that was the case. Any guesses as to what the reasoning is? I fail to see how having the rears work as running lights as well as signals harms anything, and more lights behind me seems like a good thing.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page