• 2 Post By autopilot

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 03-01-2017, 04:49 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Question usb charger that only turns on with ignition

I want to add a dual port water proof usb charger to the handlebar for phone gps/go pro, and hide it under the fairings.

I got a 250r service manual and saw this thread: https://www.cbr300forum.com/forum/ele...b-charger.html

But I'm still confused on how exactly do I do this, I don't know much about how electrical system works...I did find videos that teach you how to add a charger straight to battery, but I want one that only turns on with ignition on. I know that I probably should add some wires to headlight, tail light or ignition switch, but how exactly do I do those? I don't really understand fuses/relays other than knowing fuses protect the electrical system when current gets too high and relays connect/disconnect electricity. I can read a very basic electrical diagram but not much beyond that. I know how to strip/connect wires but don't know which wires to cut...

I thought about using a power bank but still want to add a usb charger if that's not too hard to do...

Is there a step by step guide/video on how to do this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 03-01-2017, 06:45 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Garage
Using something like this will prevent having to cut wires:

https://www.amazon.com/d/p/B008XNRUY...vert-amazon-20

I used one of these to power a battery monitor. The black sheath is removed and the wires cut in the middle. Splice in what you want to power and plug in to headlight. Make sure the polarity is correct.

2015 HONDA CBR300R
2009 HONDA CRF230M

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 Old 03-02-2017, 04:05 AM

Location: Black Country Its the industrial heartland of England. And where the world we have today began.
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Garage
12-24V Waterproof Motorcycle Cigarette Lighter USB Charger Socket Plug Adapter | eBay
I bought the above which eliminates the need to have it hard wired to the ignition. I hid it under the rear seat and ran an auxiliary wire under the body work to the head stock. The switch has an on off switch so will not work till you switch it on so no draw down on the battery.
I'm not a big fan of chopping wires if I can help it. Also you can remove if you ever decide to sell your bike.
Hope this helps.
CDNHONDAR and dirt road like this.

Don't let the bastards grind you down!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page