LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 09-28-2015, 10:56 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Lightbulb LED Headlight Installed

Hi everyone, this isn't exactly a write up since I forgot to take pictures of the process of taking apart the headlight assembly. This is more of a journal documenting my experience with an LED Headlight. This is the first time I've installed one. It was not difficult at all, it was pretty straight forward.

There are 4 bolts and two plastic rivets, once removed the headlight separates from the housing. Remove the rubber seal on the headlight, release the lock and remove the old bulb, insert the new one, lock, rubber, and its done.

I had to cut a slit on the boot to slide it over the heat sink on the back of the bulb, I don't think I've compromised the waterproofing and if I notice any moisture in my headlight I will figure something else out, until then it seals pretty well.

I wasn't paid to do a review so I'm not going to name drop which bulb I bought, but it was advertised to be rated at 3500 Lumens and 40 Watts. It's color temperature is 6500k. The light is very bright, way brighter than the stock headlight. Similar to putting an HID in regular housing, the cutoff is nonexistent. Aka very bad. The lowbeam LED outputs a similar amount of light to the stock halogen on High.

Lots of pics so I uploaded them all to a gallery.

It was still daytime outside so until it gets darker it's just garage pics, sorry. I haven't seen how it looks on the street yet.

Here are the pics.

Let me know if you guys have any questions!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4JgZkRa.jpg (516.2 KB, 125 views)
Treve82 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 09-29-2015, 09:14 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
There's so much glare it projects the shape of the headlight housing, check it out!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (579.7 KB, 132 views)
tperraut likes this.
post #3 of 15 Old 09-30-2015, 02:31 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage
What you see is the general problem with replacing a bulb with another where the location of the source of the light is in a different position.

As long as you do not drive at night, that's not a problem. But at night, you will likely dangerously pi$$ off the drivers in front of you. As other wrote about lights, too bright a front light might prevent the car drivers from seeing your turn signals.

That said, thanks for sharing the info, photos... That's nice, and the light is clearly "stronger", although 40W for LED seems quite high. That would be the equivalent of 150W halogen, something like that. So I would guess that either the light is not efficient, or the Chinese manufacturer is quoting the total for 2 bulbs? The last option is that your light is really equivalent of 150W halogen lights (roughly 3 times what you had before). :-)
mikal likes this.

post #4 of 15 Old 07-06-2016, 09:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage
I have the cbr300r and yesterday I decided to switch my headlights to the led bulb as well.
the only problem was the base of the bulb was huge and the rubber gasket for the housing and that spring clip just barely went back on to hold the new bulb in. now I need to figure out a way to secure the wires hanging out and keep the housing from getting moisture in it...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160706_093243.jpg (541.3 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg 20160706_093255.jpg (499.5 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg 20160705_194755.jpg (31.7 KB, 93 views)
atown8605 likes this.
post #5 of 15 Old 07-06-2016, 12:31 PM

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 787 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukeofbjorbon View Post
Hi everyone, this isn't exactly a write up since I forgot to take pictures of the process of taking apart the headlight assembly. This is more of a journal documenting my experience with an LED Headlight. This is the first time I've installed one. It was not difficult at all, it was pretty straight forward.

There are 4 bolts and two plastic rivets, once removed the headlight separates from the housing. Remove the rubber seal on the headlight, release the lock and remove the old bulb, insert the new one, lock, rubber, and its done.

I had to cut a slit on the boot to slide it over the heat sink on the back of the bulb, I don't think I've compromised the waterproofing and if I notice any moisture in my headlight I will figure something else out, until then it seals pretty well.

I wasn't paid to do a review so I'm not going to name drop which bulb I bought, but it was advertised to be rated at 3500 Lumens and 40 Watts. It's color temperature is 6500k. The light is very bright, way brighter than the stock headlight. Similar to putting an HID in regular housing, the cutoff is nonexistent. Aka very bad. The lowbeam LED outputs a similar amount of light to the stock halogen on High.

Lots of pics so I uploaded them all to a gallery.

It was still daytime outside so until it gets darker it's just garage pics, sorry. I haven't seen how it looks on the street yet.

Here are the pics.

Let me know if you guys have any questions!
I do agree 40watts for a LED bulb is quite high. Does it have little Chip LED's on each bulb? How many? I thought LED's didn't get that hot? Have you felt the heat sink after having the light on for a bit? Just wondering if the heat sink gets real hot if the rubber seal over it can withstand the heat
post #6 of 15 Old 07-06-2016, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikal View Post
I do agree 40watts for a LED bulb is quite high. Does it have little Chip LED's on each bulb? How many? I thought LED's didn't get that hot? Have you felt the heat sink after having the light on for a bit? Just wondering if the heat sink gets real hot if the rubber seal over it can withstand the heat
Completely forgot to mention there's a fan at the back of the heatsink and it's always on and kinda loud.
mikal likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 15 Old 07-06-2016, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Completely forgot to mention there's a fan at the back of the heatsink and it's always on and kinda loud.
Oh cool then I guess 40watts does sound reasonable
post #8 of 15 Old 05-29-2017, 09:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
The light is very bright, way brighter than the stock headlight. Similar to putting an HID in regular housing, the cutoff is nonexistent. Aka very bad. The lowbeam LED outputs a similar amount of light to the stock halogen on High.
I did a bit of reading up on other people's experiences with replacing halogens with LEDs earlier so I managed to find one that has the LED emitters located in about the same places as the filaments of a halogen, and include the little reflector cups under the front emitters too. This is for my wife's CB300FA which uses a single H4 headlight.

I actually purchased two pairs of these headlights since we have a few bikes to put these into, I already did a brief writeup at another bike forum but here are the pictures for the CB300FA. Each pair was about USD$30 shipped, so the price was right.

First picture shows the bulbs we purchased. Box says 8000 lumens for the pair so it should be 4000 lumens each. I'm guessing these are Chinese lumens but the bulb is no doubt brighter than the stock halogen. Based on the product code, I'm guessing these bulbs run 25W, but I don't know if that is for the pair or for each bulb.

Next two are the stock halogen low and high beams.

The two after that are the LED low and high beams. The beam patterns and cutoffs are fairly similar by my eye, but I had my camera flash on which produced some artifacts with the capture. The LED is definitely brighter than the stock halogen, and much more white.

Next two are a close-up of the installed LED, and a shot of the bike with the electricals on. Looks good. Next I just need a LED flasher relay and some replacement LED bulbs for those indicators... are they BAUS15 sockets?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 01-bulb.jpg (159.6 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg 02-stock-lowbeam.jpg (199.5 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg 03-stock-highbeam.jpg (194.6 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg 04-nighteye-lowbeam.jpg (199.9 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg 05-nighteye-highbeam.jpg (195.6 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg 06-bulb-closeup.jpg (228.9 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg 07-nighteye-on.jpg (238.8 KB, 55 views)
post #9 of 15 Old 06-16-2017, 02:56 AM

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1732 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gctkaz View Post
I did a bit of reading up on other people's experiences with replacing halogens with LEDs earlier so I managed to find one that has the LED emitters located in about the same places as the filaments of a halogen, and include the little reflector cups under the front emitters too. This is for my wife's CB300FA which uses a single H4 headlight.

I actually purchased two pairs of these headlights since we have a few bikes to put these into, I already did a brief writeup at another bike forum but here are the pictures for the CB300FA. Each pair was about USD$30 shipped, so the price was right.

First picture shows the bulbs we purchased. Box says 8000 lumens for the pair so it should be 4000 lumens each. I'm guessing these are Chinese lumens but the bulb is no doubt brighter than the stock halogen. Based on the product code, I'm guessing these bulbs run 25W, but I don't know if that is for the pair or for each bulb.

The two after that are the LED low and high beams. The beam patterns and cutoffs are fairly similar by my eye, but I had my camera flash on which produced some artifacts with the capture. The LED is definitely brighter than the stock halogen, and much more white.

Next two are a close-up of the installed LED, and a shot of the bike with the electricals on. Looks good. Next I just need a LED flasher relay and some replacement LED bulbs for those indicators... are they BAUS15 sockets?
I'm replying to this post to 'bump' it to the top as it got lost in the approval required issue we had recently.
dirt road likes this.

2014 CBR300 (sold)
2018 Ninja 400
post #10 of 15 Old 06-16-2017, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gctkaz View Post

Instead of just replacing the stock bulb in the turn signals why don't you just buy a new set of led signals? IMO the leds are brighter and look better as there are usually 8-15 leds in 1 signal.

I put a HID system with Morimoto projectors on my R and the cutoff is perfect. They sell projectors for HID and the stock Halogens, but not sure if they have projectors for LED's. I am actually just putting my bike together because I opened up my headlights to put new angel COB LED angel eyes in.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page