LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 04-14-2018, 08:02 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Won't start with kickstand up and in gear

So this just started happening 2 days ago but my bike when in gear with the kickstand up and clutch in won't start at all but if I put it into neutral (kickstand up or down) starts right up the first time it cranks.

I've done a bit of research and it seems that theres some sort of "safety switch" in the clutch lever but doesn't seem like there's broken wires or anything (wild guess but, pinched wire maybe or oxidation on the contacts of the clutch safety switch??). The only thing I can think of is that it's been raining a lot where I live and I did ride the bike to work the last couple of days and it got wet but honestly I think a bit of water shouldn't be an issue here.

Anyone have any ideas what else to check for?

READY TO >> RACE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-15-2018, 02:06 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1038 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tier1 View Post
So this just started happening 2 days ago but my bike when in gear with the kickstand up and clutch in won't start at all but if I put it into neutral (kickstand up or down) starts right up the first time it cranks...
What you're describing would indicate that either the side stand switch or the clutch lever switch is faulty (more than likely it's your side stand switch that's faulty).

Both of those two switches need to complete the ignition circuit whenever the transmission is in gear. Whereas when the transmission is in neutral, it's the neutral safety switch which is completing the ignition circuit, thereby overriding the side stand & clutch lever switches and allowing the starter motor to crank/start engine.
Hi-Viz-Honda and AKABooMBiP like this.

“Machines never lie.
Success will always come if they’re really good.
So let’s show the world what we’ve done.
Then they can see the real Honda!”

- Founder Soichiro Honda at the inception of the Honda Collection Hall.

Former Factory Test Rider/Technician
post #3 of 5 Old 04-15-2018, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMike View Post
What you're describing would indicate that either the side stand switch or the clutch lever switch is faulty (more than likely it's your side stand switch that's faulty).

Both of those two switches need to complete the ignition circuit whenever the transmission is in gear. Whereas when the transmission is in neutral, it's the neutral safety switch which is completing the ignition circuit, thereby overriding the side stand & clutch lever switches and allowing the starter motor to crank/start engine.
Well I took a look at it further and couldn't find anything. Ended up putting it on a stand and spraying some APC (Simple Green) in the general area of the kick stand pivot then rinsing it off with a garden hose. That's what did the trick and it starts up without issue now when I'm in gear with kickstand up and clutch pulled in. At this point I'm not sure if it was some crud getting in the side stand switch area or something else but it works now.

tl;dr my issue was with my kick stand safety switch. That said, if it was the kickstand safety switch that was causing the issue wouldn't it have died right away as I put it in gear since the electronics were "detecting" the kickstand being down?

READY TO >> RACE

post #4 of 5 Old 04-15-2018, 10:23 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1038 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tier1 View Post
Well I took a look at it further and couldn't find anything. Ended up putting it on a stand and spraying some APC (Simple Green) in the general area of the kick stand pivot then rinsing it off with a garden hose. That's what did the trick and it starts up without issue now when I'm in gear with kickstand up and clutch pulled in. At this point I'm not sure if it was some crud getting in the side stand switch area or something else but it works now.

tl;dr my issue was with my kick stand safety switch. That said, if it was the kickstand safety switch that was causing the issue wouldn't it have died right away as I put it in gear since the electronics were "detecting" the kickstand being down?
That's how the switch is designed to work. In the up position, the switch is "closed", or in other words it is completing the starter motor circuit. Likewise, when the clutch lever is pulled in, that switch is also "closed" and completing the starter motor circuit. And both of those switches need to be closed in order to shift the transmission into gear from neutral.

As for the problem you were experiencing, it's certainly possible for some road crud (it likely wouldn't take much) to temporarily cause the side stand switch to malfunction with the side stand in the up position, and thereby not allow the engine to start with the transmission in gear.

“Machines never lie.
Success will always come if they’re really good.
So let’s show the world what we’ve done.
Then they can see the real Honda!”

- Founder Soichiro Honda at the inception of the Honda Collection Hall.

Former Factory Test Rider/Technician
post #5 of 5 Old 04-16-2018, 01:26 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMike View Post
That's how the switch is designed to work. In the up position, the switch is "closed", or in other words it is completing the starter motor circuit. Likewise, when the clutch lever is pulled in, that switch is also "closed" and completing the starter motor circuit. And both of those switches need to be closed in order to shift the transmission into gear from neutral.

As for the problem you were experiencing, it's certainly possible for some road crud (it likely wouldn't take much) to temporarily cause the side stand switch to malfunction with the side stand in the up position, and thereby not allow the engine to start with the transmission in gear.
The weird thing is that this happened first while I was at work and after I started it in neutral, with clutch in and kickstand up I then managed to get it in gear and ride home and didn't do any of that weirdness while shifting up and down after it was on.

Timeline of events:

1. Got off work, got onto the bike, in gear, kickstand up, clutch in and it didn't start.
2. Checked the on/off (fuel pump was making noise), lights are on and not a flat battery. Looked at a few other things and contemplated calling a tow.
3. Eventually tried to start the bike neutral, kickstand up and clutch in and it fired right up. Put kickstand up, put bike in gear and rode off home.

I'm going to write it off as crud in the kickstand safety switch assembly that got dislodged when I hit it with the APC, but it's odd that I was able to get it started in neutral with kickstand up and clutch in and it didn't die after I put it into gear and I was able to get home.

READY TO >> RACE

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page