• 1 Post By motorboy

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 12-30-2018, 02:17 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Rebuilt motor now it doesn’t run

I got a 2016 cbr300r with 7k miles on it over the summer. It now was just over 9k miles. Then while riding it lost compression or something but it stayed running and started knocking. Turned it off and back on it continued to run but the knocking was sever No warranty or anything so I was out of luck. I took it all apart and replacing everything from the piston on up. Piston, piston pin, piston clips, cylinder, both intake and exhaust valves, all 4 inner and outer springs, and spark plug. Now my MIL light is flashing it cranks but doesn’t start. It’s been apart since November 22.

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-30-2018, 02:15 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Garage
you sure the knocking wasn't the defective crankshaft in the recall-- as far as not starting it could be a dozen things-- but being the check engine light is on I'm thinking you might have one or more wires plugged in wrong
shisoshin likes this.
post #3 of 9 Old 12-30-2018, 07:30 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Yes, I would start with checking the VIN with Honda to see if it is on the recall list. Just replacing the top end components is not "rebuilt"; did any of those parts look bad? Piston to cylinder wall clearance check out OK? Valves leaking? The recall can still be done if needed, at no charge from Honda.
shisoshin likes this.

post #4 of 9 Old 12-31-2018, 04:48 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JACoH View Post
Yes, I would start with checking the VIN with Honda to see if it is on the recall list. Just replacing the top end components is not "rebuilt"; did any of those parts look bad? Piston to cylinder wall clearance check out OK? Valves leaking? The recall can still be done if needed, at no charge from Honda.
The crank bearing was replaced already. It ran before I took it all apart.

I’m going back into it today or tomorrow to make sure all the plugs are connected. I’m pretty sure I got them all though.

Does anyone know who to clear the codes on the 300? Also reset the tip sensor?
post #5 of 9 Old 12-31-2018, 04:49 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorboy View Post
you sure the knocking wasn't the defective crankshaft in the recall-- as far as not starting it could be a dozen things-- but being the check engine light is on I'm thinking you might have one or more wires plugged in wrong
Don’t the plugs only go into one spot? I didn’t think it would allow you to mix the plugs.
post #6 of 9 Old 01-01-2019, 09:55 AM

Garage
If the crank was changed as you said- did you find out what was making the knocking noise before changing the top end parts-might not have been the top end-- reason I ask is the way Honda warranted the crank some bikes did have a knock after change--- long story why has to do with crankcase bearings and or cam chain tension
post #7 of 9 Old 01-01-2019, 09:16 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
There was no noise after the replacement. It started while riding. Took it apart and the entire piston and cylinder wall was scratched.. I got the engine light to go away but I’m not getting spark now. Any one know if and where the relay for the coil is? I’m not getting spark for the coil cap when I disconnected it from the plug and I put a plug in it and that still has no spark. My guess is bad coil but I wanna make sure it’s just not a relay
post #8 of 9 Old 01-01-2019, 11:30 PM

Garage
Being it ran before you took it apart I don't think the coil is bad--I still think it's a wiring problem--things to check-clutch switch-kickstand switch- on off switch on right handle bar and every plug under the tank--also no coil reply
Shiny Ride likes this.

It's not a big motorcycle just groovy little motor bike
post #9 of 9 Old 01-08-2019, 01:53 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorboy View Post
Being it ran before you took it apart I don't think the coil is bad--I still think it's a wiring problem--things to check-clutch switch-kickstand switch- on off switch on right handle bar and every plug under the tank--also no coil reply

The fact you mentioned there was a kickstand switch saved me a lot of confusion when I started up my CBR fine in neutral this morning then tried to shift into first (before putting the kick stand up) and the thing died for no apparent reason. Of course its a useful safety feature...sorry for the off topic

Faster is not always better...!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page