LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 03-11-2019, 11:31 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Coolant level low

I searched the forum but heard people saying their CB300 had green coolant?

But mine has red coolant. The level is pretty close to the "low" level line on the reservoir. Should I

a) Add distilled water to bring the level up an inch
b) Add more coolant\

or
c) Drain out all coolant and refill once again?

I have a jug of Prestone AF-2100

https://www.autozone.com/antifreeze-...ant/391379_0_0

But the bottle does not say what color the coolant is. Bottle insists it can be added to any other color of coolant but I still dont trust that so wanted to confirm with other members here.

2016 CB300F - 8000 miles - 100% stock config
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-12-2019, 03:10 AM

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1797 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by King CobRa View Post
I searched the forum but heard people saying their CB300 had green coolant?

But mine has red coolant. The level is pretty close to the "low" level line on the reservoir. Should I

a) Add distilled water to bring the level up an inch
b) Add more coolant\

or
c) Drain out all coolant and refill once again?

I have a jug of Prestone AF-2100

https://www.autozone.com/antifreeze-...ant/391379_0_0

But the bottle does not say what color the coolant is. Bottle insists it can be added to any other color of coolant but I still dont trust that so wanted to confirm with other members here.
Option a)

2014 CBR300 (sold)
2018 Ninja 400
post #3 of 12 Old 03-12-2019, 11:21 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Garage
Spare coolant is something good to have- just drop by your local Honda dealer a pickup a small bottle than you'll know it's right

post #4 of 12 Old 03-12-2019, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Thanks,

I made a mistake, I was looking at the level with the bike on the side-stand (foolish mistake).

Sorry for the error.

post #5 of 12 Old 10-05-2019, 08:07 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
I made that post back when I was a newbie. I was actually looking at the reservoir of the brake when I had said the color was red! >>Face-Palm<<

Anyways,

The coolant that was in there was actually blue. I went ahead and drained it today and refilled it according to the instructions on the service manual. Even with my Naked CB300F I had to dismantle the middle cowl and take off the 2 pieces of the rear seat. Was a real pain in the buns and I refilled it with

Valvoline Zerex Blue for Asian Cars from Walmart I think it was $15

I did flush that COMPLETELY with distilled water, made sure I did it until the water ran clear. The manual says to do this every 3 years. Seems to me it could have probably gone 5 years but better to be safe than sorry I guess. I should have measured the Ph but I forgot to do it. Also my reservoir was super low probably due to evaporation.

Can you imagine if I had added water to the brake fluid reservoir? Wowzers. Goes to show how important it is to read the manual and be 100% sure (regardless of your past mechanical training or experience). I was helping my neighbor who has a scooter to flush his coolant a few weeks ago. He is an old man that is very stubborn and refuses to read the manual or any instructions. So it took a very long time even to dismantle the scooter fairings since he refused to read the instructions and was doing it by trial and error. Then he gets so mad and starts ranting and raving and throwing the tools against the wall.....Well when I saw how worked up he was getting I left him alone because I dont like to be around people like that.

Long story short it took him hours and then after he drains the old fluid he refuses to run any water thru it, instead says "That is good enough, we will add the new coolant" which he did and then when he out the scooter back together he realized he forgot to put the cap on the radiator so then he had to completely take the complicated fairings off ONCE AGAIN and he was cursing and swearing and "God Dammit!!!!!" and so forth. THen he busted his knuckles at one point and was bleeding real bad and it happened because he was so angry.

Then finally he has it all put together and goes out for a test drive and the temperature skyrockets to HIGH! Can you guess why? Its because he did not bleed out the air bubbles so then he starts swearing and yelling once again. Dude, I wish I had filmed this maniac so I could put it on YouTube and I would have gotten a lot of views. So once again instead of reading the manual he starts taking the fairings off AGAIN and keep telling him "relax, why dont you just stop and watch some YouTube tutorials or see if we can download the serive manual.." But he is so stubborn he wants to keep at it. And by this time it is dusk and the Florida mosquitos have come out and are eating us alive so I said "Im going inside" and left him. But he was working at night with a flashlight and I could hear him yelling and swearing and "taking the Lords name in vain" pretty much.

Anyways the next day he was riding around and finally had gotten the air bubbles out (maybe overnight they just floated to the top with gravity) but my point is this old guy is stubborn as a mule and turned a 1 hour job into a 8 hour hissy fit.

post #6 of 12 Old 10-06-2019, 12:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to bheezy27403
Lesson learned. Next time he needs help you have prior obligations!
airhead83 likes this.
post #7 of 12 Old 10-07-2019, 12:38 AM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
but mate, thats probably his way of venting.. you could have joined him and had a joint venting session.. or just had a joint and be done with it..
bheezy27403 likes this.
post #8 of 12 Old 10-07-2019, 04:51 AM

Cant help your neighbors eh - literally!
Could be worse, I've got bogans across the road from me that play doff doff music loud and long into the night. I start work at 7am so it hacks me off.
I rather have a scooter rider that has the odd hissy fit as a neighbor.

2014 CBR300 (sold)
2018 Ninja 400
post #9 of 12 Old 10-07-2019, 09:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to bheezy27403
Bogans and doff doff music eh? I gotta catch up on my Kiwi language comprehension.
Zeke likes this.
post #10 of 12 Old 10-07-2019, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bheezy27403 View Post
Bogans and doff doff music eh? I gotta catch up on my Kiwi language comprehension.
This may help: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bogan
airhead83 likes this.

2014 CBR300 (sold)
2018 Ninja 400

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page