• 4 Post By Tier1

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 05-15-2019, 10:59 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Internal engine modifications

Post any aftermarket parts you know of, please!

Crower cams - https://danielcrowerracing.com/i-905...t-2011-18.html

42mm TB - https://www.steadygarage.com/store/t...300r-rebel-300

Aftermarket ECU - https://www.steadygarage.com/store/t...ntroller-tuner

I know the 3rd one isn't an internal mod, but I haven't seen anything like it. All other fuel tuners piggyback onto the OEM ECU, so this is interesting.

Is there anything else unique out there, like a piston made specifically for 300s?
CDNHONDAR and Zeke like this.

2016 CBR300R non-ABS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-16-2019, 02:12 PM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Nice post.... thanks. Although I question the cost of doing these mods and others..over the cost of just trading and getting a different size/make of bike. But I know some love to tinker.
Hi-Viz-Honda likes this.

The problem with bikes aimed at first time riders is that first time riders buy them..
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Epic statement...from crazyjackcsa
post #3 of 5 Old 05-16-2019, 04:38 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1038 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDNHONDAR View Post
Nice post.... thanks. Although I question the cost of doing these mods and others..over the cost of just trading and getting a different size/make of bike. But I know some love to tinker.
I've always said that there are a number of factors to consider, aside from the relatively high $$ cost for what amount to small power gains, when contemplating internal engine modifications.

An obvious one is to what extent will reliability be affected? Or better, how much am I willing to sacrifice reliability based on my intended use for the vehicle, such as everyday riding.

Drivability is another... will I sacrifice too much of the low & mid range power/torque for a HP gain at the top of the power band?

Given that increasing the engines compression ratio, along with timing & fuel ratio adjustments is often the easiest way to more power, the octane level of the gasoline will also become a factor. Tweek an engine far enough in search for HP and premium grade pump gas won't cut it. That's when $10 to $15 per gallon for race gas from VP or Sunoco becomes another ongoing cost factor.
kiwi rider and CDNHONDAR like this.

“Machines never lie.
Success will always come if they’re really good.
So let’s show the world what we’ve done.
Then they can see the real Honda!”

- Founder Soichiro Honda at the inception of the Honda Collection Hall.

Former Factory Test Rider/Technician

post #4 of 5 Old 05-16-2019, 06:25 PM

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1797 Post(s)
I gained four RWHP by fitting an aftermarket slip on to my Ninja and then changed the fuel maps to suit that pipe by flashing the ECU. We also tweaked the ignition map too.
All up it cost me $1600 NZD ($1030 USD) so $400 per horse power!
As someone who changes bikes regularly I'm not prepared to chuck any more money at engine HP gain mods now.
CDNHONDAR likes this.

2014 CBR300 (sold)
2018 Ninja 400
post #5 of 5 Old 05-18-2019, 09:00 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDNHONDAR View Post

Yeah, pretty much I'm done with mods after the Akra slipon, racetech springs and R6 shock mod (i2i and stroke length are very similar and it's pretty much a direct bolt on without having to spend Ohlins or Nitron money). I'm going to ride this bike until I *really* feel the need to get something else (CC-itis is a real disease just like Parked Motorcycle Syndrome in the wintertime).

Like MotoMike says, why spend money and tinker with reliability when you can just get something else from the factory that's not only reliable but cheaper than doing janky mods. I'm still super excited to potentially pick up a CRF450 (my grail bike) but with that said I am really liking the CB650 Hornet and at $9K CAD for a brand new one off the floor it's much better than messing around with suspension, ECU's, intakes, exhausts, etc.

READY TO >> RACE

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page