LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 07-09-2019, 10:11 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Very dirty oil after +3650 miles

My last oil change was Jan 4th 2019 @ 2900 miles

I had been seeing small puddles of oil on the ground and I remembered that I had reused the old crush washer so I decided to change the oil today.

In the sight glass i noticed the oil looked very dark. When I performed the oil change today @ 6550 miles (that is +3650 miles since the previous oil change of 6 months ago) the oil was very black and dark.

This is with Walmart conventional SuperTech 10w40 oil. I think I may switch to the Rotella oil its only about $5 more and with the Rotella I would feel comfortable to go the full 8000 miles

Do you think I should be concerned about the dark color of the oil?

If you read my post below you can see that YES I used car oil:

https://www.cbr300forum.com/forum/wa...tml#post327312

I know this is very controversial and some people may get angry. I used conventional car oil 10w40 that is NOT energy-conserving. On a separate motorcycle forum many members swear by that particular oil and have gone many miles with no ill effects. I certainly did not feel any problems with the clutch or shifting.

EDIT: Dog-gone it. I think the "oil leak" i was worried about was chain lube! Dang it!!! I really should have known better then to fall for this trick since I have been a member of this forum for 6 months.

The problem is that I use CVT gearbox oil as a chain lube so when I say some drops on the ground and dipped my fingers in it and looked at it: It looks and feels like oil. Then i smelled it: It smells like oil.

So I basically changed the oil with only 6 months and 3650 miles on it and I did so by mistake.

Its very tricky because today I literally saw a drop of oil on the oil drain bolt so if the chain lube actually has the ability to drip down on that exact spot....It was enough to deceive me into doing an un-necessary oil change.

2016 CB300F - 6500 miles - 100% stock config
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 07-10-2019, 03:22 AM

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1762 Post(s)
Ah the old chain lube on the floor scare eh.
I change my oil around the 3K miles mark and it's generally fairly discolored, but to know accurately how broken down the oils properties are you would have to get a sample analysed.

Everyone has their own take on it but to me 8K miles seems like a too longer change interval unless you are using a full synth.
2 liters of semi synth + a filter costs me $28 ($18 USD) and I can do it myself, so why wouldn't ya?
MotoMike and King CobRa like this.

2014 CBR300 (sold)
2018 Ninja 400
post #3 of 21 Old 07-10-2019, 09:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
correct me if i'm wrong but doesn't it take 10w30 oil???
King CobRa likes this.

post #4 of 21 Old 07-10-2019, 09:36 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Yes the manual says 10w30 but that weight is not common to find where I live. 10w40 is not much different. Im also in a very hot climate and we never get any snow, only gets down to 50F degrees in the winter (thats 10C)

I researched the heck out of this topic and i decided to move forward with using the SuperTech car oil. It doesnt contain friction modifiers. The main scare was that it may affect the wet clutch. I was ready to keep an eye on it and if i noticed any unpleasant shifting then I was ready to dump the oil immediately and switch back to the Honda OEM.

But the results of my experiment where that this particular Walmart oil performed same as motorcycle oil. It may be that the companies have to pay money to get the JASO or MA certification (sorry but i dont recall the exact name) and thus that Walmart decided to forgo paying the money to get the certification even though the oil meets the same standard.

The bottom line is that for those who change the oil in 5000 miles or less I think the Walmart oil is probably fine. But stay tuned....on this oil change of yesterday I once again filled up with the Walmart stuff. If I have any problems I will certainly let the forum know about it.

i think the oils with friction modifiers will say ENERGY CONSERVING or ENERGY SAVING on the back in that little circle

post #5 of 21 Old 07-10-2019, 10:41 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
I have taken my bike to the dealer for an oil change once per year for the last 3 years (the first one was at 730 miles for the recall so it was free) and I just had the 3rd one done last week at 5,400 miles on the clock. I checked the sight glass when I got to the dealer and the oil was black as night. This was after 12 months and around 2,000 miles or so. I'd like to change the oil every 6 months and the filter every 12, but I am technically not allowed to change oil in the parking lot and the dealer is expensive at around $130
King CobRa likes this.

2016 CBR300R
post #6 of 21 Old 07-10-2019, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi-Viz-Honda View Post
I have taken my bike to the dealer for an oil change once per year for the last 3 years (the first one was at 730 miles for the recall so it was free) and I just had the 3rd one done last week at 5,400 miles on the clock. I checked the sight glass when I got to the dealer and the oil was black as night. This was after 12 months and around 2,000 miles or so. I'd like to change the oil every 6 months and the filter every 12, but I am technically not allowed to change oil in the parking lot and the dealer is expensive at around $130
Thanks, that makes sense as far as the color. With such low miles I think you are fine just changing it once per year. I was planning to take this one to 6000 miles in 1 year before changing it but with the oil drips I got nervous and decided better safe then sorry.

After I lubed my chain with the gearbox oil that I have been using as a lubricant (this time) I only dried off the 3 sides of the chain, all except for the side of the chain that actually touches the sprocket teeth. But apparently this was MY mistake..... because by leaving the lube on that side of the chain without wiping any of it off ............I think that is what caused excess lube to build up inside the front sprocket cover and then begin to dribble down and I was deceived into believing that I had an oil leak.

I guess i was being lazy as well. Im trying to get it to where I can lube the chain only every 500 miles rather than every 250 but the gearbox oil as a lube only lasts 300 miles before the chain looks dry. Maybe the canned aresol lubes that most of you guys on the forum are using will last for 500 miles?

but i have been applying 80w90 CVT gearbox oil with a small paintbrush and using that as my lube (to save money)

https://www.cbr300forum.com/forum/en...hain-lube.html
Hi-Viz-Honda likes this.

post #7 of 21 Old 07-10-2019, 01:02 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Garage
Does it feel gritty? Does it smell burnt?

Your rides aren't very short, right?

I wouldn't be overly concerned. But I am a firm believer in synthetic oil (just look at how many more stars it has on the packaging! ;-) ), and I ensured that I picked up the cert people say to get for the wet clutch (e.g., Rotella).

2015 CB300F
purchased 2,390 mi // currently 9.1k+ mi

Last edited by Zeke; 07-10-2019 at 01:06 PM.
post #8 of 21 Old 07-10-2019, 03:03 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke View Post

Your rides aren't very short, right?
This is very important. I always make sure to ride/drive for a minimum of 15 minutes before shutting down the engine. It's just a habit of mine at this point. Not sure why I pick 15 as the number, but it is what it is. Like, the grocery store is 10 minutes away, so I take a longer way to get there that takes between 15-20 minutes. On my way back, I just go straight home.

2016 CBR300R
post #9 of 21 Old 07-10-2019, 03:52 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Garage
Oil and filter change at 3000 miles. Oil is Motul 7100 10/30 fully synthetic. Cost is irrelevant. There isn't a lot of it anyway. I like to be sure the engine is getting the best I can give it. Biking is my pleasure so I don't count cost on things like oil, tyres etc.

Don't worry about old age - it doesn't last that long.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2016 CBR300RA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 21 Old 07-10-2019, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I would say that >90% of my rides are over 10 minutes long. And I rarely ride for over 1 hour each way. The bulk of my errands are 15-20 minute rides.

Yes when I use up the jug of SuperTech I will switch over to Rotella. I think its worth it for an extra $5 per oil change.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page