post #1 of 4 Old 08-18-2019, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Unhappy 2015 cbr300r abs

Hey dudes and dudets,

Preface this by saying my mechanical skills are lacking.
I was riding on the highway yesterday in 6th gear at about 8k RPM's when suddenly my RPM's dropped to 4-5k and I believe my front tire locked up. It stayed like that for a few seconds and started rolling again.
The reason I say I believe is because the second the tire locked up I almost low sided into the semi beside me so my attention was elsewhere. There is now a ticking noise emanating from my engine from what I believe is the cam chain tension spring.

Has anyone replaced their cam chain spring thing and did you use a manual cam tension-er. Also how much will it damage my bike riding while this is going on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-18-2019, 06:46 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
I'd be extremely careful riding until you have this problem diagnosed. The bike may have thrown a diagnostic error code that you Honda dealer can pull up from it's ECM that would help solve the mystery. Some bikes have a stronger "engine brake".. when the throttle is released, the fuel injectors cut out. And, IMO, that's what happened, not a wheel lockup. If the bike shut off fuel injection, (through no fault or action of or by you) riding at 8k RPM, even for a few seconds, that could cause a real helmet to tank slapper of a ride. It could certainly have felt like something locked up, and it may have. But unless you feel or hear something odd coming from the front wheel, my bet's on the engine arbitrarily cutting out for a second. And I'll say this again, For safety's sake, have your favorite mechanic diagnose and repair the bike. The last thing any of us need is a bike that's going to do something we don't expect.
King CobRa and Sam R. like this.

To ride or not to ride? What a stupid question.
post #3 of 4 Old 08-19-2019, 10:54 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Garage
If your right about the front tire locking up and not the back it's not your engine-It's your front brake causing the problem- I have seen this before-if to much air gets into the system heat will expand it causing the brake to lock up-again if not the rear wheel locking up you need to dismantle the caliber and clean it out and change the fluid with dot4- to check this out ride slow and watch how much play you have at the brake lever-you should have a little as things heat up play goes away and the brake starts to apply itself- I would not ride far or fast till you find the source of the problem
King CobRa and Sam R. like this.

post #4 of 4 Old 08-19-2019, 11:58 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
agree, front wheel locking without input on abs bike needs expert analysis..
if a camchain mechanism fault it would effect the rear wheel..
[hint - dont ride alongside a semi]

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page