LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 20 Old 02-21-2018, 12:14 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1023 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkazzed View Post
Shoei helmets with internal sun shades are not Snell rated. HJC does have Snell helmets -- CL-17 (up to 2XL) and FG-17 (all sizes).
I hadn't looked at Shoei's website before posting that... I see that they now do offer some helmets which do not have Snell certification.

ďMachines never lie.
Success will always come if theyíre really good.
So letís show the world what weíve done.
Then they can see the real Honda!Ē

- Founder Soichiro Honda at the inception of the Honda Collection Hall.

Former Factory Test Rider/Technician
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 Old 02-22-2018, 06:56 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMike View Post
I hadn't looked at Shoei's website before posting that... I see that they now do offer some helmets which do not have Snell certification.

Itís the sun shade thatís done it, for people whoíll give up a little bit of safety for convenience. Iíd personally go for a transitional pin lock insert instead, or Arai which has this external flip down shade. I have an Arai head, not a Shoei head.

2015 Honda CB300F
post #13 of 20 Old 02-25-2018, 01:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkazzed View Post
Shoei helmets with internal sun shades are not Snell rated. HJC does have Snell helmets -- CL-17 (up to 2XL) and FG-17 (all sizes).
Like some others, I believe that if it fits, and meets standards, it's good. However, more expensive helmets often have, as noted, better quality materials. Liners may last longer, resist odour better, and may be more adjustable for fit. Also, ventilation may be better. These are all things you won't know until you use it for a while. That said, my last two helmets have been HJC. Snell Approved, good fit, and my CL-17 came with a pinlock shield for under $200 CDN. If my budget were less restricted, I would probably be inclined to look at Arai helmets, as I have had one in the past and loved it. Sadly, I fell down and went boom in a race. That was the end of that.

post #14 of 20 Old 02-28-2018, 09:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The only difference I have really seen between my two helmets (a 100 dollar bilt force helmet and a 670 dollar shoei GT air) is the level of refinement. The bilt is slightly more comfortable, has all the same features and has an ECE and DOT rating, whereas the shoei is just DOT, however the GT is waaaay better in a lot of areas. It never fogs, which the bilt does if you just glance at it. The shoei ventilation is so much better, it buffets significantly less at highway speed, is quieter and doesn't feel like it is going to twist my head off when I do a shoulder check to change lanes. I feel that both are about as safe (the bilt may actually be a bit better honestly) but the shoei is more pleasant to use.
Hi-Viz-Honda and King CobRa like this.
post #15 of 20 Old 10-06-2018, 02:18 PM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tier1 View Post
If it's rated and fits well then that's what works for you.

I personally got a Fly Three.4 helmet (DOT, ECE 22.05 and SNELL2010 rated) as my first helmet from when I originally took motorcycle school and it actually fit me really well, but it's expired now. I then got a Scorpion R710 which is my new daily, fairly cheap (sub $200 when I bought it) fit decently and DOT, ECE 22.05, and SNELL 2015 rated.

For when I'm riding 2 up (not very often, maybe 3 times a season) I just got a Thor Sector which is only DOT and ECE rated and the lining leaves something to be desired but it was like $130 CAD which I can't complain about at all.

tl;dr: As long as it's rated and fits well the rest of it is a combination of; marketing, brand name, comfort, and noise.

BTW: I think like 80-90% of helmets out there are OEMed by a handful of manufacturers. HJC and Z1R are supposed to be 2 of the biggest OEM's out there. Supposedly even AGV doesn't own it's own manufacturing facility and gives the specs to an OEM to make the helmets for them.

All the Bilt helmets are actually made by Z1R and they are the same helmets as Speed and Strength but have been rebadged. What I mean is that if you buy Speed and Strength brand it is the same as a Bilt helmet just that it has fancier graphics and colors. So if you only care about price go with the Bilt helmets from Cycle Gear. I tried one on and it was actually pretty comfortable. But the local store did not have my size in color Solid White so I ended up with a AFX FX-95 helmet. Do an internet search for that model, you can get it for $35 in certain colors and its originally a 100$ helmet. Check this out:

https://www.powersportsuperstore.com...ice_min_to_max

and this:

https://www.denniskirk.com/search/fx-95.q/priceasc.srt

2016 CB300F - 6500 miles - 100% stock config
post #16 of 20 Old 10-07-2018, 01:38 AM

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Garage
At least here in European Union, all helmets must comply to safety standards. As long as you don't buy really cheap fake products, saftety should be o.k.
However, weight and long term quality and spare parts may be an issue. I have a cheap "emergency spare helmet". The visor is no pin lock, so I get condensation on wet weather. The helmet shivers at high speeds. The fixture of some parts like spoilers is really simple, they can break off very easily.

My "good" helmet is a Schubert (German brand).
post #17 of 20 Old 10-07-2018, 03:31 AM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
also, serious helmet designers include type of use
when considering say, visor opening shape and levels,
[shade eyes with flat hand sitting up normally, then
keep[ing hand in position, lean torso forward
notice top of view opening drops, obscuring vision..

just an eg of design differences, here intended for road racing
or riding a bike with low flat bars 'sports style'..
easy solution is to bend your neck upwards,,
which will result in discomfort or pain..
not to mention training a poor upright posture
encoueaging 'goose neck' or a 'widows hump'..

this comes under size and fit, personal head shape,
and intended or typical riding style..
things like replacable cheek pads and other linings
can redically change levels of fit and comfort..
ie, eg, people have different head shapes and sizes,
but also have different facial and jaw profiles etc..

ultimately it comes down to what you want
and can afford to pay for..
check out your insurance for helmet replacement..
mine [aami] includes replacement of the same of
closest helmet after a crash [they assume the helmet
took impact and is thus finished - having saved
your brain and face etc.
my nice shark r did its job, and aami replaced it
with the nearest helmet available, a shark r carbon,
a high end and very nice helmet..
post #18 of 20 Old 10-09-2018, 04:25 PM

To answer the original question : YES, the brand does matter. And I had to learn the HARD WAY. I want to reverse my previous post about AFX FX-95, it is an "okay" helmet but I decided to return it because the level of "refinement" is very obvious.

I mean if you put on an Icon Airmada after wearing the AFX or any other $100 or less MSRP helmet you will certainly feel the difference in comfort and airflow. And its worth the money to spend a little bit extra. I think we could break down the price into 3 categories:

1) Cheap helmets under $100 MSRP (Not worth it, spartan helmets that barely get the job done)
2) Medium range helmets from $100 - $300 (thats the sweet spot in my opinion where you get the most bang for your buck)
3) Premium helmets $300 and up (The best of the best but you reach a point of diminishing returns very soon)

Im a big fan-boy of Icon. Love their graphics and the way the helmets feel. Love the skeleton and "scary monster" designs. Totally bad-ass. If you where a metal-head in High School and a rocker you will probably love them too.
Hi-Viz-Honda likes this.

post #19 of 20 Old 10-09-2018, 08:48 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Besides the cheapo helmet I wore at the MSF class, the only other helmet I ever tried on was the Shoei RF1200 I bought from Revzilla. I lucked out as it fits perfect. The venting and padding is great and the shield pops right off. I'm afraid I won't be satisfied if I replace it with something other than another Shoei or perhaps an Arai or AGV.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 18010162_10209020402052904_7212017629151455219_n.jpg (91.3 KB, 5 views)
King CobRa likes this.

2016 CBR300R
post #20 of 20 Old 10-18-2018, 09:57 AM

Disregard my negative comment about the AFX FX-95. Its actually a good helmet. Just needed a day or 2 to break in but now I am very happy with it and tried 5 different brands and models and was most happy with this one after buying the size recommended in the chart for me 55 cm = XS. Before I had tried on the size Small and I was not too much impressed but the smaller size down fits snug and the snug cheek padding really keeps out alot of road noise. And the ventilation is comfortable as well as the visor is easy to move up and down. There is no built in sun visor so you would need sunglasses but I almost never wear sunglasses even in my car.

Its a good helmet, I ended up keeping it as my main helmet for the time being.

I tried 3 different helmets that had a built in sun visor and I did not care for it, it was uncomfortable to see out of and the vision was warped.

So this is the helmet I ended up getting:

What I really want is a solid white helmet so the cars can see me. So What I am going to do is to use white reflective tape to cover up the red and blue stripes. This way during the day it will be a solid white helmet and at night its going to reflect LIKE CRAZY. So I think this will be very safe and I am going to save some money because I see most solid white helmets are more expensive than other colors. Its hard to find one on sale at a deep discount.

So I bought this white reflective tape on Amazon for $3.50:

Its going to take over 2 weeks to arrive from China (the reflective tape) so I will update the thread or better yet I may create a new thread with more before and after photos and a photo at night also. Stay tuned.

Here is the link to buy the helmet if you want to copy along. The helmets are around $42 shipped. It is normally a $100 helmet made in Taiwan. I have had good results with things from Taiwan.

https://www.powersportsuperstore.com...factory-helmet

At night I am hoping to get an effect such as this:

Hi-Viz-Honda likes this.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page