Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

Caberg Levo (Levante) Modular Helmet ECE 22.05 Non-DOT

4K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  Stichill 
#1 · (Edited)
See less See more
#5 ·
My understanding is that modular helmets won't meet Snell Memorial Foundation test standards either. And, unlike the U.S. DOT self-certification, only helmets submitted to Snell for actual testing have a chance for Snell approval.

#19 ·
I used to think Snell was a must-have certification. However that thinking changed when I learned more about the SHARP helmet safety scheme in the UK. The problem with Snell is that it is oriented toward racing. As such, the EPS liner needs to be stiffer to absorb more violent impacts at greater speeds. Sounds good at first, until you realize that the G-forces needed to compress the EPS liner are so high that there could still be serious brain trauma. Worse, if you crash at lower speeds (more likely on the street), you get very little G-force reduction from harder foam. I read somewhere, can't find the reference at the moment, that the most likely object for the helmet to strike in a crash is the ground. That means the most likely impact scenario is your head falling from the level where you ride to the ground. That's not really a huge impact, so a softer EPS that delivers lower G-forces would be safer in the real world.

#6 ·
Even though it doesn’t get a lot of attention here in the U.S., the ECE standard motorcycle helmet certification, R22.05, is actually the most widely used in the world; it is recognized by over 50 countries and every major racing organization you can think of.
ECE testing is the most rigorous and most up-to-date. It is in many ways a combination of elements of both DOT and Snell procedures, with a few extras added in. ECE testing involves:

• Impact absorption by dropping helmet onto a flat anvil
  • Testing chin strap buckle for slippage
  • Chin strap material is tested for tension failure at over 670 lbs. of force
  • Testing for abrasion resistance
  • Shell is tested for deformation under weight of nearly 150 lbs.
  • Visor is tested as an integral part of the helmet
While DOT is done on the honor system and Snell is optional allowing many helmets to fall through the testing cracks, the ECE standard requires that helmets be tested before the model can hit the market.
To gain ECE certification, a manufacturer must send a batch of 50 production versions of the helmet for independent testing. The testing is done in a third party lab with witnesses from both the manufacturer and the ECE in order to grant certification.
SHARP test - https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/

A great value carbon fibre/composite sports touring helmet

Shoei Neotec II: a sports touring flip-up helmet that owners love

HJC C70: Lower price polycarbonate all-rounder full face helmet.

SHARP 5 star sportsbike helmet on a budget anyone?

AGV Compact ST: one of the safest modular helmets around?

Simpson Venom: whatever next, a mean and practical streetfighter helmet?!

Budget SHARP 4 Star safety rated modular… but there’s a problem

Review of the Arai QV-Pro (Arai Signet-X in the US): street/sports...

AGV Sport Modular – a Flip-up Helmet for Sports Bikes

Caberg Duke II Modular Crash Helmet Review

Reactions: airhead83
#10 ·
Even though it doesn’t get a lot of attention here in the U.S., the ECE standard motorcycle helmet certification, R22.05, is actually the most widely used in the world; it is recognized by over 50 countries and every major racing organization you can think of.
ECE testing is the most rigorous and most up-to-date. It is in many ways a combination of elements of both DOT and Snell procedures, with a few extras added in. ECE testing involves:

• Impact absorption by dropping helmet onto a flat anvil
  • Testing chin strap buckle for slippage
  • Chin strap material is tested for tension failure at over 670 lbs. of force
  • Testing for abrasion resistance
  • Shell is tested for deformation under weight of nearly 150 lbs.
  • Visor is tested as an integral part of the helmet
While DOT is done on the honor system and Snell is optional allowing many helmets to fall through the testing cracks, the ECE standard requires that helmets be tested before the model can hit the market.
To gain ECE certification, a manufacturer must send a batch of 50 production versions of the helmet for independent testing. The testing is done in a third party lab with witnesses from both the manufacturer and the ECE in order to grant certification.
SHARP test - https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/
The ECE R22.05 must have some sort of exclusion for which types of helmets qualify for sanctioned race events. For example, I can't imagine Lewis Hamilton showing up on an F1 grid with a modular helmet and one of those magnetic clasps on the chin strap, and thinking he can race with such a helmet. Whether it's the FIA, FIM, or the AMA in the here in the US, race helmets must have a full-face singular shell construction, and a traditional 'D-Ring' chin strap closure.

#7 ·
I’ll tell you. I bought a modular helmet last year for the first time and love it!! I’m not much of a sunglasses wearer, so the flipdown sunshield is awesome. Plus it makes it easier to adjust earbuds etc.

If it’s really hot and I’m in city traffic, the ability to lift the chin bar to cool off is a game changer!!

I bought a cheaper DOT approved helmet to try it out, so my next helmet will be a higher quality modular.

#9 ·
I changed over to a modular back around 2002 and have never gone back. This summer while in Europe the rental was a full face and it just isn't as convenient or comfy. Noisy? yes perhaps but I wear earplugs either way. I have always made sure my Modular's have metal clips and are ECE rated as well as DOT and check Sharp Rating too before choosing. But you are correct, BHeezy, that in general I have forfeited a bit of safety for comfort.

#12 ·
My post on helmets was just an information one. They were not my words but it may help with an understanding of the rules here in Europe. I've copied a bit more for info.

Every helmet sold in the UK must be tested to ECE 22.05. This involves abrasion, impact, penetration, deformation and retention testing, as well the field of view from the visor. This standard is accepted throughout Europe across 47 countries.
You might find your lid also has a ‘Snell’ marking – this testing is voluntary, and is often used by manufacturers in the development of helmets.
Another marking you might see is ‘DOT’, which is an American standard. This does not replace ECE in Europe and the UK – your helmet must also be tested to ECE 22.05, but it does mean you could legally wear it in the US too. DOT testing is carried out by the manufacturer, and one area it differs to ECE 22.05 is that a DOT helmet can transfer a lot more energy to the wearer’s head in a crash than an ECE lid can.
You might also find a gold ACU sticker – this is the governing body for motorcycle sport, and while no further testing is carried out, only helmets that have been submitted by the manufacturer and awarded this sticker can be used in racing. Off-road racing requires a silver ACU sticker. You should wear an ACU-approved helmet on public track days, though it’s unusual to see helmets in good condition being turned down for use, and with stickers easily bought, a scrutineer would need to have a very good knowledge of helmets to know if one hadn’t been approved by the ACU.

Your helmet will either have a ‘double-D’ fastener, or a ‘micro-metric ratchet’. You can’t choose – it’ll depend on the model.
Double-D is the choice of racers and gives a very secure fit every time you put the lid on, with a really simple mechanism. But it’s hard to use if you have your gloves on.
Most touring lids have a micrometric ratchet – with this, you set the strap to the size you want at first, then it gives around an inch of adjustment every time you put the helmet on, which means you should still get a secure fit. Some people don’t like the fact that it depends on moving parts, but it’s a very secure and simple self-locking design, and a vast improvement on the old seat-belt buckle types that were set to one length only, so tended to work loose.

#13 ·
Another great feature of the modular helmet I bought is that micro-metric ratchet. Soooooo much nicer than the D-rings I’ve been accustomed to. Some days buckling the d-rings went as smooth as silk. Other days, it was exercise in frustration. Now I’m older and the fingers aren’t as nimble, I can see a definite advantage to the ratchet.

#14 ·
When I was first choosing a helmet I saw so many YouTube videos and articles online saying to stay away from modular helmets and that they where not safe. In fact the scare tactics worked so well against me that I ordered a modular helmet and then I cancelled the order at midnight before it could ship out in the morning.

I can see the convenience factor of modular and especially for cigarette smokers so that they can smoke without taking off the helmet. In the end sometimes you dont know who to believe since so many opinions are imparted on the Internet and oftentimes people are saying stuff that is not accurate and they are speeking only of their "feelings about modular helmets".

#16 · (Edited)
I've always had the idea that ANY helmet is better than none. But a recent snippet I read in Reader Digest has given me a reason to rethink. The country of Nigeria, West Africa recently passed a "helmet law" in hopes of reducing head injuries for motorbike/cycle riders.. Turns out not so many moto riders thought so.. Nigeria grows and has access to a wealth of agriculture products.. One of these veggies is a type of largish Gourd that can be dried, painted, and serves as a perfectly acceptable "motorcycle helmet"... No DOT, ECE, or Snell certification required! :D

#18 ·
no doubt a market must exist for flip-up helmets.. my main smash long ago was low speed him doing a u-turn from parked, no blinkers, no front wheel turn out, nothing, just chucked a u turn right in front of me.. did a superman act over him onto the road ahead, face first, wearing an open face helmet.. snapped lower mandible [jaw], depressed fractures of left cheek and left lower forehead [later epileptic seizures as a result].. unconsciousa..
first thing after wire sewing my jaws together removed [3 months] was to go out and buy a nolan full face..

this was at low speed [under 40mph], no traffic around, just one parked ute ahead..
nice day, no hurry, probably the sort of day you might lift up your modular face..
anyway, that three months jaw wired shut was the worste injury ive had, including fractures etc,
in 50 yrs of lifetime motorcycling.. wouldnt risk it to smoke something or feel wind on my face..
[on D rings, my shark race r carbon has strong D rings including a small red canvas tab from on ring, making it easy to separate rings etc.. also well padded strap with strong effective magnet strap closure, doesnt move]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.