Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

How to: CBR300 coolant drain

5K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  lightningfrog27 
#1 ·
Just finished my 7th video in the series...less than 3 minutes long - check it out and let me know what you think!

https://youtu.be/6BB7Ad8q9Zs

#5 ·
I use Evans Waterless Coolant in my CBR300. Used it previously in my Deauville (NT650) and it is a fit and forget job. (Except for checking the level occassionally). You have to flush the system with the preparation solution to remove all traces of water then fill with the coolant. Much more efficient cooling and it has a higher boiling point. It doesn't need replacing every so often as does standard coolant.
Evans Waterless engine coolants | United Kingdom for anyone interested in info.

#7 · (Edited)
The schematic below shows the parts, and OEM part numbers. Part #s 20 and 24 should be what you're asking for. But verify before ordering. All reputable vendors will use the same OEM part numbers. You probably don't need, and I'd be comfortable using the old one. But, it's a cheap replacement either way.
Save up to 25% on 2016 Honda CB300F OEM Parts | MotoSport
If you wanted to wait until you drain the fluid, and have bolt in hand.. I'd be willing to bet any automotive store like NAPA, Advance, O'Reilly.. (Possibly even a hardware store) would have a proper gasket to match the bolt.

#9 ·
How do folks feel about the necessity of flushing the cooling system with distilled water before adding the new coolant? I've seen folks do this in videos, but my service manual did not say to flush it, so I didn't do it. It did say to rinse out the reserve tank, but I decided not to do that either... Could the bit of old coolant residue really be much of an issue? I went 4 years with the OEM coolant in there before changing (vs. the recommended 2 years). The hot engine indicator never came on, but figured I should finally get around to it so swapped it out yesterday.

#10 ·
As far as i understand it, the primary goal of flushing out the coolant passages is to pick up and wash out products of corrosion that have may have developed inside the coolant system, and create a non-zero risk of blocking coolant passages.

My opinion is that if you keep your bike clean and dry, it's less likely to experience galvanic corrosion, and therefore not a lot of value in flushing auxiliary flushing. I guess the same is probably true for bikes that are unavoidably stored outdoors...when you drain the coolant, you're going to wash out MOST of the crud anyhow without the hassle of a bonus flush.

In summary: i dont pre-flush with distilled water, but it cant hurt if you really want to do it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.