LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 18 Old 04-14-2019, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorboy View Post
How old can you be or is it how you feel-- I see 70 right in front of me been riding 56 years 51 bikes can't see stopping now-- first no large 1000cc bikes than nothing over 400lbs-- that's where I'm at right now -these 300's are a flash back to the mid 60's forgot how much fun they are- down the line I could see a small trike-- time will tell
You have about 5 years on me, and many more bikes. Any day I can throw a leg across my bike without needing a step stool is the beginning of a good ride. And you're right, these 300 class bikes are awesome and affordable fun.

To ride or not to ride? What a stupid question.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 Old 04-14-2019, 11:33 PM

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by airhead83 View Post
My family would tell you I'm old, and have no mind at all. That's true. But, I rode an 1983 R80RT BMW. It had an air-cooled boxer engine (2 cylinders with heads opposed at 90 degrees). Over the years, BMW introduced an oil-cooled, then water-cooled engine. So, the older engine became known as an "airhead". I rode the bike for 34 years, and sold it 2 years ago. Thus, "airhead83".

As I suspected. I used to ride an '85 R80 G/S, and was an early member of the Airheads Beemer Club (member #74 ).
airhead83 likes this.
post #13 of 18 Old 04-15-2019, 03:27 AM

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Welcome Airhead, I too had an air-cooled Beemer once. A black '81 model R65 when I lived in the UK. I was in my mid twenties at the time and rode the wheels off that thing - literally. I crashed it on the isle of man circuit at windy corner. After repairs I rode it around Europe over a period of four months and it was an ideal touring mount. Nice bike, liked the beat and sound of the motor but the handling was not great. Very spindly forks and the rear shocks were attached to a weak sub frame I think from memory. It also lacked ground clearance.
To be fair to the bike I probably wasn't riding it in the manner it was designed for!
airhead83 likes this.

2014 CBR300 (sold)
2018 Ninja 400

Last edited by kiwi rider; 04-15-2019 at 03:35 AM.

post #14 of 18 Old 04-15-2019, 08:05 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi rider View Post
Welcome Airhead, I too had an air-cooled Beemer once. A black '81 model R65 when I lived in the UK. I was in my mid twenties at the time and rode the wheels off that thing - literally. I crashed it on the isle of man circuit at windy corner. After repairs I rode it around Europe over a period of four months and it was an ideal touring mount. Nice bike, liked the beat and sound of the motor but the handling was not great. Very spindly forks and the rear shocks were attached to a weak sub frame I think from memory. It also lacked ground clearance.
To be fair to the bike I probably wasn't riding it in the manner it was designed for!
Thanks for the welcome. You're right about the Beemer. You'll never wear them out, but you can't relax while you're trying to ride and hold her steady. Poor suspension and brakes from the factory were a constant. I finally decided to let mine go for 2 reasons. I got tired of trying to find a mechanic that "knew how" for an '83. And I had a hard time refreshing the tires when needed. Outdated sizes that had been in someone's warehouse for 5 years collecting dust before I got them. So, some nice memories, but glad she's gone. HUHM, Sounds familiar. But, she wasn't a bike!
kiwi rider likes this.

post #15 of 18 Old 04-15-2019, 08:27 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Hi Airhead83,

If you do buy the CBR300 are you going to keep the R3 or or you going to trade it in to the dealer or are you going to sell it on craigslist?

If it where me I def would not trade it in, the Dealer wont pay you very much for it and those 300's sell like hotcakes on craigslist and Offerup.

When I sold my 50cc scooter on craigslist I literally had it sold within 2 hours of posting the listing.

I know you said you want to buy new but if its a motorcycle that you are "not really sure" about you may be safer to buy it used and then dont fill out the title yet......I mean ride the moto for a week or 2 and make sure you like it before wasting the money on registration and title transfer.

One time I bought a Yamaha cruiser 250 (Virago I think its called) and within 3 weeks I wanted to sell the dog-goned thing, it had less torque than my Ninja 250 and struggled on the Highway even at 70 mph. That was my first and last cruiser. Im just not a cruiser guy it turns out.

But if I had been smart I would not have ran to the tag agency to register it in my name because I lost $500 in the registration and title transfer taxes and fees. Luckily I was able to sell it for the same price I paid to some bearded hillbilly. But I lost the $500 and learned that lesson to wait at least 3 days before registering it in my name.

I saw a listing this same weekend for a CBR 600 used 2008 for only $1500. I piddled around for hours watching YouTube videos about CBR 600 and reading the forums but in the end I decided not to buy it. In Florida we dont have to buy insurance on motorcycles so it is very tempting to own 2 or 3 bikes here but once you start down that rabbit hole.....

The main thing that stopped me from buying that CBR 600 is that it is actually the most STOLEN bike of the year. What a dubious distinction.....the thieves steal the **** out of them. I would not be able to relax
kiwi rider and airhead83 like this.

2016 CB300F - 5200 miles - 100% stock config
post #16 of 18 Old 04-15-2019, 08:33 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by King CobRa View Post
Hi Airhead83,

If you do buy the CBR300 are you going to keep the R3 or or you going to trade it in to the dealer or are you going to sell it on craigslist?

If it where me I def would not trade it in, the Dealer wont pay you very much for it and those 300's sell like hotcakes on craigslist and Offerup.

When I sold my 50cc scooter on craigslist I literally had it sold within 2 hours of posting the listing.
I'm still undecided, but you're right the dealer can't offer enough for me to trade it. Thanks for the tip.

post #17 of 18 Old 04-15-2019, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airhead83 View Post
I'm still undecided, but you're right the dealer can't offer enough for me to trade it. Thanks for the tip.
What are the specifics of your R3? What is your target number for trade in value?
post #18 of 18 Old 04-15-2019, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by insertnamehere24 View Post
What are the specifics of your R3? What is your target number for trade in value?
I haven't decided what I'm going to do yet, so, I haven't thought of a price I would expect for the R3.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page