LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 06-27-2019, 09:26 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Brand new rider

Hi all, I'm a new Honda rider, just got a 2017 CB300F back in April, brand new in the crate. Unfortunately its having some troubles lately so that's why I signed up here. Going to start a thread on that one separately.
Gwaihir and Zeke like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 06-28-2019, 10:01 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 1023 Post(s)
Welcome!
Kyle Claisse likes this.

ďMachines never lie.
Success will always come if theyíre really good.
So letís show the world what weíve done.
Then they can see the real Honda!Ē

- Founder Soichiro Honda at the inception of the Honda Collection Hall.

Former Factory Test Rider/Technician
post #3 of 22 Old 06-28-2019, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Thanks! Glad to be here. My last motorcycle was an old 1990 EX500 but I haven't ridden in over 5 years so I decided to start small again with the 300. Its been an amazing bike so far but it ran out of oil on the road this past Monday and the whole engine ground to a halt. I had just had my 600 mile service done by the dealer only 1400 miles ago so I'm hoping Honda is going to cover it. I've just OK'd them to tear down the motor but I'm getting this feeling from both the dealer and the honda factory reps that lack of oil isn't going to be covered unless there's some special mitigating circumstances like a clear defect (in other words if they open it up and just find it ran out of oil they'll say to pound sand). I hope that's incorrect and I just misinterpreted the information I've been given. I will know more later today after the dealer finishes tearing it down.

Other than that its been such a fun little bike. I am hoping I can get this covered and back up and running. I can't afford a $1k+ repair bill but I have been doing some searching and think I can get a used motor for under $1k.

View from the road near Crystal Lake in Southern California. Its too bad people have decided to tag the ground but the view is spectacular still.
https://i.imgur.com/zXMUF10.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/KpDV5Vv.jpg
CDNHONDAR and King CobRa like this.

post #4 of 22 Old 06-29-2019, 10:25 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Welcome from Oregon, nice looking dog!
Kyle Claisse likes this.
post #5 of 22 Old 06-29-2019, 05:08 PM

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1762 Post(s)
Welcome, nice part of the country you live in by the looks.

That's a shame about the motor but if you hadn't been checking the oil for the previous 1400 miles then that will give them a 'get out' as it's generally listed in the owners manual under the pre ride inspection list.
I've got into the habit over the years of glancing at the oil sight glass (and the coolant bottle) before every ride. It can save you a mishap.
Good luck and let us know how you get on.

2014 CBR300 (sold)
2018 Ninja 400
post #6 of 22 Old 06-29-2019, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JACoH View Post
Welcome from Oregon, nice looking dog!
Thanks! That's our basset hound MacDougal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi rider View Post
Welcome, nice part of the country you live in by the looks.

That's a shame about the motor but if you hadn't been checking the oil for the previous 1400 miles then that will give them a 'get out' as it's generally listed in the owners manual under the pre ride inspection list.
I've got into the habit over the years of glancing at the oil sight glass (and the coolant bottle) before every ride. It can save you a mishap.
Good luck and let us know how you get on.
That's what I'm afraid of but I am praying they will do it on their own goodwill. I will know more next week after honda has time to review the dealer's findings. One thing's for sure, I'm going to check that oil window every time I ride from now on.
kiwi rider and CDNHONDAR like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 22 Old 06-30-2019, 01:06 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Just my 2 cents here, but Hondas do not burn oil, and if leaking 2 quarts you would have noticed it. In 1400 miles with a bike that just had been serviced by a dealer, I'd say the dealer didn't put oil in it. It's on him, not American Honda.
Gromit likes this.
post #8 of 22 Old 06-30-2019, 03:00 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Garage
Very odd to be sure. Mine uses no oil.

2015 CB300F
purchased 2,390 mi // currently 9.1k+ mi
post #9 of 22 Old 06-30-2019, 05:31 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Next time you go to your Honda Dealership's, take MacDougal with you. Maybe put on one of those mean-looking, studded collars, too. Just so's they'll know.. You, and your enforcer, mean business.

To ride or not to ride? What a stupid question.
post #10 of 22 Old 07-02-2019, 05:19 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JACoH View Post
Just my 2 cents here, but Hondas do not burn oil, and if leaking 2 quarts you would have noticed it. In 1400 miles with a bike that just had been serviced by a dealer, I'd say the dealer didn't put oil in it. It's on him, not American Honda.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
Very odd to be sure. Mine uses no oil.
That was my initial reaction as well, although from further reading I'm thinking my driving style may have lead to increased burn. I commute around 80 MPH which is in the higher end of the rpm range. But I've also read that's total bs and even at higher RPM it shouldn't burn that much oil. I was worried my break-in procedure was the culprit but the dealer seems to think It was fine and that it wouldn't be the cause anyway. They are still disassembling the engine but I'm hoping to hear from them in the next few days with final word on whether or not Honda is ultimately going to cover the damage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by airhead83 View Post
Next time you go to your Honda Dealership's, take MacDougal with you. Maybe put on one of those mean-looking, studded collars, too. Just so's they'll know.. You, and your enforcer, mean business.
That's an awesome idea! She may look cute but she's one tough cookie. I'm sure they'll start scrambling to get the bike fixed before she gets to the door. I'll bring along her son Rascal too, just in-case they think one little basset isn't cause for alarm: https://i.imgur.com/b2aJkhN.jpg They'll rue the day they denied my claim when they are covered in dog hair and slobber.
Zeke, King CobRa and airhead83 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page