Would like to know how to stop the bike ?? - Honda CBR 300 Forum
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 09-02-2019, 10:06 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Would like to know how to stop the bike ??

This is my third day of owning a new 2019 CB300R. I didnít test ride before purchase. Although Iím very happy with my decision. I would have bought it anyway, even with my below complaint. Given my advancing age and need for a lightweight easy to maneuver bike having nice features, appearance and value. This is a fantastic bike.

HOWEVER: Iíve never experienced a bike with such short-protruding shift and brake pedals. When I first rode out of the dealership with my riding boots on, I couldnít find the shifter because the end of it is so close to the case. But as time progresses Iím getting a little better with the shifter as I learn to keep more a pigeon-toed stance on the footrest.

BUT, Iím continuing to have real trouble with the short protruding length of the rear brake pedal. When I had to make a quick braking decision yesterday, my right foot missed the rear brake pedal entirely. That and the fact that ABS comes standard in Canada, and you have to stand doubly hard on it to get decent braking force, and the fact that downshifting gives you about zero braking force on this bike: I need to be able to hit that rear brake pedal without having to think very long about how to do it.

Has anyone encountered this problem/issue? What modifications can be made, or what rearsets can be retrofitted for the OEM ones, in order to get sufficiently protruding pedals (ala Triumph, Yamaha). ? Iím tempted to just bend the brake pedal outwards but donít want to bust anythingÖ

All comments appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 300R short pedals.jpg (282.1 KB, 11 views)

1967 Yamaha YR-1, 1977 Yamaha 650, 2014 Triumph Bonneville
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 09-05-2019, 03:41 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1033 Post(s)
Try riding with the balls of your feet on the foot pegs, and just move them forward when you want to shift or brake. Also worth mentioning is that both the shift and brake pedals are height adjustable to suit a particular riders ergonomics.

As for lack of braking performance, get use to using the front brake more. It has way more stopping power than the rear brake.

ďMachines never lie.
Success will always come if theyíre really good.
So letís show the world what weíve done.
Then they can see the real Honda!Ē

- Founder Soichiro Honda at the inception of the Honda Collection Hall.

Former Factory Test Rider/Technician
post #3 of 17 Old 09-05-2019, 04:24 PM

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1788 Post(s)
The rear brake pedal is made from steel rather than aluminium so you would be able to bend it a little if it helps. Best to remove it and do it in a vice rather than on the bike and stress the pivot bolt.
shisoshin and GimmeeBrake like this.

2014 CBR300 (sold)
2018 Ninja 400

post #4 of 17 Old 09-05-2019, 05:29 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMike View Post
As for lack of braking performance, get use to using the front brake more. It has way more stopping power than the rear brake.
According to the (MSF) Motorcycle Safety Foundation...as much as 70% of the motorcycle's potential stopping power is supplied by the front brakes. Hard to believe, but they've done a lot more testing than I have.

To ride or not to ride? What a stupid question.
post #5 of 17 Old 09-05-2019, 06:55 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
any coordinated specific foot etc action requires repetition and deliberate practice.. 3 days is barely better than nothing here.. sliding foot directly forward from peg to brake should be easy and effective,, starting with ball of foot on peg as mm notes..
even skilled racers must learn new slight adjustments,, ie, teach their brains and joints the same but slightly adjusted skills..
specific motorcycle boots designed for riding would also help here..

rear brake is not your main brake on a motorcycle, as brake sizes demonstrate.. marquez entering corner from high speed braking on front wheel demonstrates;

whatever mods you do, the secret imo lies in specific practice sessions..
slide forward from ball of foot to lever without turning ankle or knee etc, is an idiot proof simple direct effective braking action, which still requires practice as a separate brain training skill.. find a quiet road or car park and introduce your brain to this new brake..
kiwi rider and GimmeeBrake like this.

Last edited by shisoshin; 09-05-2019 at 07:02 PM.
post #6 of 17 Old 09-07-2019, 08:59 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Good advice. Thanks. My (old) brain might start getting the idea but it'll take a while.

In the meantime I'm looking at these rear brake pedal extenders. Fit KTM and Husk, I'd like to see if I can attach them to existing 300R rear brake pedal end:

https://slavensracing.com/shop/16-18...s-clean-speed/

post #7 of 17 Old 09-08-2019, 10:15 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Garage
you have to keep this in mind-- little bikes are for little people--there are a few things you can do for us full size people-what I did to my F is bar raisers- peg lowers lengthen the shift lever- lengthen the seat and level it all these mods makes the cockpit the same size as the 500F-- I really like the CB300R and preordered one 6/18 the bike was delayed 2 months so I bought an F all good -but I can see a 300R in my future-for me the only thing I think the R needs right now is the shift lenghtened
post #8 of 17 Old 09-09-2019, 08:15 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I tried keeping the heel of my right riding boot (size 9-1/2) on the footrest. Found that I can react much quicker and more accurately on the brake lever when I'm positioned that way ! (could be that older people just don't react as well when needing to move one's foot forward) This although unorthodox might just solve my problem.

Next I think I'll try raising the gearshift pedal height a little. Right now it feels creepy especially when upshifting out of first while doing a left turn.

I might get accustomed to it after a while. Hard to teach an old dog new tricks.
airhead83 likes this.

post #9 of 17 Old 09-09-2019, 08:24 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GimmeeBrake View Post
I might get accustomed to it after a while. Hard to teach an old dog new tricks.
Maybe.. But as long as the "old dog" is still chasing cars. it's hard to keep them on the porch. From one old dog to another.. we need to keep chasing those cars, even if we can't remember why we're chasing 'em!! Enjoy and Ride Safe.
kiwi rider and shisoshin like this.

To ride or not to ride? What a stupid question.
post #10 of 17 Old 09-09-2019, 09:48 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Garage
The problem may also be your boots. They make boots that are a lot more narrow at the toe.

I once had to return a set of Internet boots because the toe box was "too tall" and made my foot stretched out and tilted downward angle (uncomfortable)

2016 CB300F - 8000 miles - 100% stock config

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page