Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

Finally upgraded from my first bike.

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  dukeofbjorbon 
#1 ·
After nearly three years of this cb300f I finally bought a new motorcycle. I’ve been test riding so many different bikes to get a feel for what I want and like. I checked out the Africa Twin, crf250 rally, CB1100, Indian Scout, Indian Dark Horse, Harley 48, Ducati Scrambler, Scrambler Cafe, and the Monster 797. I’m not a big sports bike fan, was never comfortable in that racing position.

I always preferred the standard seating position and naked bikes. The cruisers were too boring for me and I do like canyon carving so I ruled those out. Not a big Yamaha fan and the FZ’s are a dime a dozen in my area. So that ruled out the XSR. The cafe racer was really cool but after 10 minutes with those clipons my back was done.

The Africa twin was the nicest motorcycle I tested but being 5’6” I would never feel comfortable riding that thing around like I do my 300. Before I bought my 300 I wanted a Ducati Monster. I was a huuuuuge Monster fan but the newer models have lost the classic styling I think. They look too modern for me now. I fell in love with the Ducati Scramblers when they were released but I kind of just put them in the back of my mind and forgot they existed.

So I was looking at local Ducati listings on Craigslist and found an amazing deal on a new old stock 2016 flat track pro at a Ducati dealer 2 hours from me on Saturday and went for it. 🙂

I’m keeping my cb300f for now. So I’ll stick around for sure, but it feels good to finally move on to a real motorcycle.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
So what did you think of the CRF250 Rally... I'm guessing that at your 5'6" height, it was too tall?

#7 ·
Riding the Africa Twin right before the Rally ruined my impression of it. I understand they’re geared for different purposes but everything felt cheap and flimsy after that. Also the Rally shares the same gauge cluster as my cb300f but uses the cbr250r motor, so it felt like a slower but taller version of my bike. I didn’t get a chance to ride it off road and I’m sure that’s where it shines compared to everything else.

#5 ·
... hmm, I found that "real motorcyle" is not very precise. In many parts of the world, real motorcyles start at 100ccm.
When you read motorcyle forums of such countries people having a lot of fun with those bikes.
In big cruiser forums, everything below 100 cubic inches (1600 ccm) is a small bike - not real.
High end super sport bikes must have at least 200hp.
A "retro bike" must be a copy of something from the 1960-1970's, but with modern ingedriends.
For Oldtimer freaks, "real bikes" were only built before 1970.

#6 ·
After nearly three years of this cb300f I finally bought a new motorcycle [...] a new old stock 2016 flat track pro at a Ducati dealer 2 hours from me on Saturday and went for it [...] I’m keeping my cb300f for now. So I’ll stick around for sure, but it feels good to finally move on to a real motorcycle.
Congrats on the new Ducati. You probably wont have the same bulletproof reliability with it that you will with a Honda, but I understand the need for a "real" motorcycle: I traded in my CBR500R for a CBR650F last year, and while I loved my 500, it was great to finally have a bike with some real power.

#9 ·
Congrats on the new bike bud. Unfortunately the site wont let me open your photos to full size but looks good in postage stamp size. :D
Heck all the old faves are coming out in this thread eh, the CBR 3's not a real bike and Ducati's are unreliable. Ha ha.
Good thing Ducati dosent make a 300cc bike or it would be unreal AND unreliable. :laugh:
Enjoy the new mount mate.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.