LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 08-05-2019, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
2019 hollow frame to save 30 lbs

I was watching this review:

And he mentions how the weight savings on the 2019 CB300R is achieved by using a hollow frame rather then the solid frame of the earlier models.

But I wonder if the newer 2019 is therefore less rugged than the older model and I'm thinking it will take on more damage in the event of a collision (compared to the older frame) and probably get more bent-up from a drop.

In your opinion then .......was this an improvement or a "step backwards' to go with the hollow frame on the new 2019?

Extra weight is not always the enemy of speed or efficiency. For example I have a 15 year old (maybe older) Specialized brand mountain bike with a solid steel frame (Its HEAVY) and my mountain bike is actually faster than many of the new carbon fiber models that are featherweights.

You remember that large slide at the fair where you ride down on a potato sack? The fat kid would always win that race down the slide. i will post a picture because I dont know if these exist in Australia or NZ:

http://dadoralive.com/wp-content/upl...-the-slide.jpg
Hi-Viz-Honda and airhead83 like this.

2016 CB300F - 7000 miles - 100% stock config
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 08-05-2019, 05:36 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
My fixed-gear steel-frame bicycle weighs <20 lbs. I prefer steel over aluminum.
King CobRa likes this.

2016 CBR300R
post #3 of 16 Old 08-05-2019, 06:20 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by King CobRa View Post
I was watching this review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJA4qQeeRQQ

And he mentions how the weight savings on the 2019 CB300R is achieved by using a hollow frame rather then the solid frame of the earlier models.

But I wonder if the newer 2019 is therefore less rugged than the older model and I'm thinking it will take on more damage in the event of a collision (compared to the older frame) and probably get more bent-up from a drop.

In your opinion then .......was this an improvement or a "step backwards' to go with the hollow frame on the new 2019?

Extra weight is not always the enemy of speed or efficiency. For example I have a 15 year old (maybe older) Specialized brand mountain bike with a solid steel frame (Its HEAVY) and my mountain bike is actually faster than many of the new carbon fiber models that are featherweights...
Previous models - CBR250R; CBR300R; CB300F - all have tubular chromoly steel frames, just as your Specialized mtn bike has a tubular chromoly steel frame. No idea where the youtuber got the idea that they had solid steel frames... clearly they don't. For that matter, not even Harley Davidson would use solid round stock to build a bike frame.

“Machines never lie.
Success will always come if they’re really good.
So let’s show the world what we’ve done.
Then they can see the real Honda!”

- Founder Soichiro Honda at the inception of the Honda Collection Hall.

Former Factory Test Rider/Technician

post #4 of 16 Old 08-05-2019, 08:21 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
The gospel according to YouTube.

I've spent most of my money on women, motorcycles, and beer.
The rest of it I just wasted.
post #5 of 16 Old 08-05-2019, 09:04 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
he mentions weight saving as from the cat incorporated into its muffler..
physics of sliding down a low friction slide differ from pushing a vehicle on high friction surfaces, ie, rubber tyres over cement or asphelt = rolling resistance,, otherwise dragsters etc would be heavy rather than light..

[my honda cb72, cb450 and cb750's also had tube frames]
MotoMike, CDNHONDAR and King CobRa like this.
post #6 of 16 Old 08-06-2019, 07:45 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Nice video and review. Thanks for sharing it. Is it just me, or has anyone else wondered why Honda still uses a removeable fuel cap? Versus a hinged assembly you just slide back to fuel, then relock when finished? Just saying.

To ride or not to ride? What a stupid question.
post #7 of 16 Old 08-06-2019, 12:15 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by airhead83 View Post
Nice video and review. Thanks for sharing it. Is it just me, or has anyone else wondered why Honda still uses a removeable fuel cap? Versus a hinged assembly you just slide back to fuel, then relock when finished? Just saying.
I am not sure why so many people dislike the removable gas cap. For me it makes it easier to fill up when using a 5 gallon gas can (Jerry can).

I actually prefer the removable one.

post #8 of 16 Old 08-06-2019, 02:29 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by King CobRa View Post
I am not sure why so many people dislike the removable gas cap. For me it makes it easier to fill up when using a 5 gallon gas can (Jerry can).

I actually prefer the removable one.
I am a mental and physical KLUTZ! I can fuel up with my helmet still on, remove my gloves, retrieve wallet and payment card, pump fuel.. But for the life of me, when I have an unattached fuel cap to deal with... Do I place it somewhere on the bike? but if falls off, it may scratch the bike's paint, or worse I'll not find where it rolled off to. OR put it atop the fuel pump? For me to forget in 2 minutes time where I put the d***ed thing? I'd rather just unlock a hinged fuel cap, fuel, relock, remove key, insert key.. Simple and orderly. Cause now days, anything else is more than my feeble mind can deal with. Sorry, to sound so basic, but I know my limits. I'm sure you can deal with the pressure better than I can.
The_Bachelor likes this.

To ride or not to ride? What a stupid question.
post #9 of 16 Old 08-06-2019, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by airhead83 View Post
I am a mental and physical KLUTZ! I can fuel up with my helmet still on, remove my gloves, retrieve wallet and payment card, pump fuel.. But for the life of me, when I have an unattached fuel cap to deal with... Do I place it somewhere on the bike? but if falls off, it may scratch the bike's paint, or worse I'll not find where it rolled off to. OR put it atop the fuel pump? For me to forget in 2 minutes time where I put the d***ed thing? I'd rather just unlock a hinged fuel cap, fuel, relock, remove key, insert key.. Simple and orderly. Cause now days, anything else is more than my feeble mind can deal with. Sorry, to sound so basic, but I know my limits. I'm sure you can deal with the pressure better than I can.
I myself am very absent-minded. Even in my car there are a couple times I paid for gas and then drove away (forgot to pump the gas). I drove my sister's car that has FAST key (transmitter in your pocket) and I would misplace that transmitter all the time. I def stay away from push button start cars.

With the CB300F however the key stays stuck inside the cap while it is out........... so because of that I am unable to drive away without putting the cap back on. In my case i just lay it on the ground upside-down while I pump the gas. But I own a 5 gallon gas can that actually holds 6 gallons so I usually fill up from that. I go to the gas station in my car and then fill the 6 gallon jug so I can pour the gas into the motorcycle when I get home. Thats good for 2 fill-ups at 210 miles each (70 mpg)

post #10 of 16 Old 08-06-2019, 05:20 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
I stay on the bike to refuel. Cap goes on the pump upside down, key inserted. I'm used to it and don't require a hinged cap.
CDNHONDAR and airhead83 like this.

2016 CBR300R

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page