Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

New Honda CBR250RR

73K views 471 replies 50 participants last post by  bheezy27403 
#1 ·
See less See more
#3 ·
It looks great but the concept images always do. Often the final product is a lot more watered down the concept. I noticed this when I was following the birth of the R3 and the KTM RC390.

Yes, I would be interested in buying something like this but I'd be a little reluctant to go back to a 250cc engine size.

#5 ·
I understand what you are saying Wings and many perhaps feel the same way. But for me the 500 R is a nice bike but its weight kind of turns me off. (Same when I look in the mirror) For me the appeal is a light weight sport (ish) bike that is easily moved around and easily flick-able...that is a really good handling machine.

So even if the new 250 RR was priced close to the 500R I would rather buy the 250 RR...but for outside of Asia.......Honda please make it a least a 300 RR or even better a 350 RR. :)

#9 ·
Me too. I guess I would prefer 300 ccs too or maybe a little more since I wouldn't really want a bike that was set up for competitive racing mostly. Something along the lines of the Ninja 300 or CBR300r but with 4 cylinders would work for me. A lot of these bikes start out as looking like race bikes, but then the reality of the market kicks in and they decide to make the bikes appeal to a broader group that includes street riders. 4 cylinders would be key. Aprilia riders have been begging Aprilia to come out with a 4-cylinder small race bike for a long time to no avail.

#10 ·
The 300cc market is well established in Thailand so can't see them bringing in a 250.If it was an inline four the price would be doubled but the 300 would have more power.You would only be paying for the sound.
Just put some clip ons and rearsets on the 300 and you have an RR.

#11 ·
......If it was an inline four the price would be doubled but the 300 would have more power......
Probably not. The 300 is in a low state of tune and so a 250/4 could easily be designed to make more power. Power is largely a function of rpm, and a high-spec four could comfortably rev to 15,000rpm or more.

Torque might be an issue though.

#12 ·
While it's likely that Honda is working on a new engine to compete with the other 300+cc twin cylinder motors in the small sport bike segment, I really doubt it will be a an inline four cylinder motor. Why? The cost to manufacture an all new inline four cylinder motor would put the retail price of such a bike way outside the established price range for this market segment. Would anyone really be willing to pay close to $10,000 USD for such a bike, when for a couple thousand more you'd be able to ride away on a CBR600RR?

I'm pretty confident that any new 300+cc sport bike from Honda will be a an inline twin, with a carbon steel frame and non-adjustable suspension, as well as an MSRP in line with the Kawasaki Ninja 300 and the Yamaha R3.

If what you desire in a sport bike is all the trick stuff like an aluminum frame, fully adjustable inverted front forks and rear shock, big dual disc brakes up front, and an inline four cylinder power plant, you are in luck... Honda dealers have CBR600RR's ready to go. Take a cue from Fanatic: buy one and never look back.

#25 ·
^ That looks hot! Too bad I'm not as familiar since my motorcycling hobby initiated only recently...

If what you desire in a sport bike is all the trick stuff like an aluminum frame, fully adjustable inverted front forks and rear shock, big dual disc brakes up front, and an inline four cylinder power plant, you are in luck... Honda dealers have CBR600RR's ready to go. Take a cue from Fanatic: buy one and never look back.
Life isn't as short as it may seem - there's plenty of opportunity and reason to look back. :D

Reactions: kiwi rider
#15 · (Edited)
As MotoMike points out, the problem with making a real sportsbike under 600cc is that it would cost pretty much the same to manufacture as the larger bike, and that's before you start to think about the development costs.

The only way such a thing might work would be if it was way lighter than the 600, lighter even than the 300. That would be an attractive proposition in my mind, and a bloody good trackday bike for those who enjoy honing technique and carving the tighter sections. Good riders would probably humiliate big-bore bike riders in the twisty sections, which is always a good thing. As such, it would probably be bought as a toy, for track use only.

The demand would be small, too small for Honda anyway, so a non-starter.

A daft idea. Isn't going to happen.

I want one.

Reactions: Zeke
#17 ·
I also think, if a 250 'supersport' really was built, it would most likely be a twin, because this permits a narrower bike overall, more in line with the concept of a small, lightweight and nimble machine.

Or perhaps a 250cc Vee-Four? :D

#18 ·
Honda and all other Japanese manufacturers are so conservative on their releases, it's silly while making it a challenge to believe until it's actually "official" from their own mouth.

As mentioned before, I still say it's wise to opt for the gold that is existing within models which are already current and shining in front of us.

Reactions: CDNHONDAR
#20 ·
oddly enough I think there would actually be a market for another 250 inline 4. Although the price would increase there will always be someone willing to pay more for the most hp in a small lams approved bike. despite older and wiser now even I would be tempted to pay a little extra just for that high rpm howl. (not that I could afford it).

#21 ·
....Although the price would increase there will always be someone willing to pay more for the most hp in a small lams approved bike......
QLD LAMS rules exclude high-performance 250s such as the Suzuki RGV250, so I imagine a properly powerful CBR250RR would also be banned.

#23 ·
Beautiful bike.... to bad they were considered gutless. In fact this is the model that for me started my passion for motorcycles. I saw one in 1972 for the 1st time (in the flesh) and instantly fell in love. At the time my bedroom walls were full of motorcycle posters.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_CB350F

After reading above it makes me question the CBR 300/CB 300 's state of "High Performance" tune.

#24 · (Edited)
I see it only had a model life of three years so cant have been a big seller. Interestingly it has the exact same dry weight as my GSXR400 but nearly half the horsepower! Still pulled 98mph though, not bad for an old bike.

I was pumping for a new vee twin lightweight but none of the manufacturers seem interested in that engine configuration so now I'm putting my balls in the inline four camp.
That high RPM wail is pretty addictive! :D

JNO's idea of a vee four makes a lot of sense tho, narrow width and awesome sound/vibe.
Anyone remember the VF400??

#29 ·
I think you're right, the side cowl graphic certainly appears to be a representation of what the engine looks like behind the cowl.

Interesting too, that despite all the presumption of this being a "CBR250RR", Honda themselves have not let on to what the actual displacement of the motor is. If this bike is ultimately intended to be for the global market, my guess is that it will be in the 320cc to 350cc range. Of course they could also create a sleeved down, 250cc version of the same motor for those Asian markets that have displacement restrictions.

#32 ·
Lovely looking thing and most likely to be a parallel twin.
A more sporty riding position wouldn't suit my ageing body��

Isn't it easy though to get sucked into the "more power so it must be better" state of mind. My CBR300R does everything I need, is great fun and costs peanuts to run.
Great luck to anyone who changes their machine for this or any other more powerful machine but I am very happy with the CBR300R and will stick with it

#33 ·
Well to quote Motomike....this is computer generated pic...notice CBR 650 exhaust.. and caption says..."Light Weight Super Sport rendering"

I must admit it does look really nice and as Kiwi said...another 100cc's please.

#37 ·
This super sports bike might be coming soon. Because they have discounted the 300r's now to sell.
we will have to see. If the price is high on these new bikes i don't think i will worry about getting one. There is talk about a 250rr or 300rr or even a 350rr. But at the moment it's just talk. So if you are thinking of buying a 250rr don't rush. Just wait it out for 6 or 12 months.

#38 ·
I'm ready to buy, I don't get overly attached to my bikes, I like to move with technology. Having said that I'm prepared (and expecting) to wait another 12 months or more for something to be available that spins my wheels.
One of the beauties of these small bikes is that it's not such a huge financial commitment to upgrade.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.