16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 45 Old 04-21-2017, 08:31 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
I have a couple of sets of Honda bike tool kits, 1 from 80's and other from 90's. Can't upload pics as camera takes 16m pix.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 45 Old 07-25-2017, 04:30 AM

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1798 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt road View Post
Actually, the more advanced technology means that my Acura will probably go 200,000 miles without any major repair expenses. Cars built in the 50's, 60's, and '70's were likely to see the junkyard before they saw 100,000 miles. I'll admit that I am old and already pretty worn out, but I expect my CBR300R to last longer than I do. Modern vehicles should give prospective buyers greater confidence that mechanical skills won't be a requirement for ownership. Heck, my bike didn't even come with a tool kit That should tell you something.
The Australian and New Zealand models do come with a tool kit so that tells me either of the following:

a) They send all the 'seconds' off the assembly line to Australasia and they expect them to break down.
b) They dont think you guys in North America have got the smarts to use a tool kit

or (more likely) c) They dont want any liability issues arising from you guys using tools provided by Honda.

2014 CBR300 (sold)
2018 Ninja 400
post #33 of 45 Old 07-25-2017, 09:04 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt road View Post
Actually, the more advanced technology means that my Acura will probably go 200,000 miles without any major repair expenses. Cars built in the 50's, 60's, and '70's were likely to see the junkyard before they saw 100,000 miles. I'll admit that I am old and already pretty worn out, but I expect my CBR300R to last longer than I do. Modern vehicles should give prospective buyers greater confidence that mechanical skills won't be a requirement for ownership. Heck, my bike didn't even come with a tool kit That should tell you something.
Wait a minute - if you're talking about your CB300R not coming with a tool kit, it sounds strange. My (Canadian) CB300F came with a tool kit. It's under the pillion seat.

post #34 of 45 Old 07-25-2017, 12:10 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael B. View Post
Wait a minute - if you're talking about your CB300R not coming with a tool kit, it sounds strange. My (Canadian) CB300F came with a tool kit. It's under the pillion seat.
Yeah, I can't believe they would put them in our Canadian bikes, and not the American ones. Of course, the first thing I did when I got home was put the soft cheese Honda tools in a drawer and replace them with a tool roll filled with actual metal ones...
post #35 of 45 Old 07-25-2017, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan German View Post
Yeah, I can't believe they would put them in our Canadian bikes, and not the American ones. Of course, the first thing I did when I got home was put the soft cheese Honda tools in a drawer and replace them with a tool roll filled with actual metal ones...
I'm guessing for liability reasons.

2014 CBR300 (sold)
2018 Ninja 400
post #36 of 45 Old 07-26-2017, 05:32 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi rider View Post
The Australian and New Zealand models do come with a tool kit so that tells me either of the following:

a) They send all the 'seconds' off the assembly line to Australasia and they expect them to break down.
b) They dont think you guys in North America have got the smarts to use a tool kit

or (more likely) c) They dont want any liability issues arising from you guys using tools provided by Honda.
Same in the UK, all bikes and cars come with a basic tool kit (cheap and nasty) but handy in an emergency. I use the pliers for squishing lead weights when I go fishing - handy for that. I have put quality tools and confined the old ones to the shed, will put back in the bike if I sell it and transfer my decent sets to the next bike/car.
post #37 of 45 Old 07-26-2017, 03:00 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1039 Post(s)
The so-called tool kit as supplied with the CBR300R & CB300F in some markets is really nothing more than a hold over from a bygone era when motorcycles were simpler and less advanced. Take a close at the fasteners used on the 300R & F.... how often would you have use for the flat or phillips head screwdriver? Same question for the pliers? I will say that the factory Honda spark plug socket is well worth having, as there are relatively few standard deep spark plug sockets that will reach down to the spark plug hex and at the same time have clearance with the cylinder head wall.

To gain access to the battery and fuses, all you need is the supplied hex key (or "allen wrench"). On an EFI bike, if it suddenly dies out on the road and after checking the fuses, and it's not a simple blown fuse issue, what sort of repair do you think you could undertake on the side of the road? Change the spark plug on the side of the road?... if you think so, you obviously have never attempted to access the spark plug on the CBR300R/CB300F. And if the problem lies with the fuel injection system, needless to say that there is nothing in that factory tool kit that is going to help you diagnose an EFI issue.

Like I said, the "tool kit" that some of you got with your non-US CBR300R's & CB300F's is for the most part from a bygone era, when motorcycles were carbureted and didn't require much more than simple tools and some knowhow to effect a repair.

“Machines never lie.
Success will always come if they’re really good.
So let’s show the world what we’ve done.
Then they can see the real Honda!”

- Founder Soichiro Honda at the inception of the Honda Collection Hall.

Former Factory Test Rider/Technician
post #38 of 45 Old 07-26-2017, 03:05 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1039 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsimmo View Post
Same in the UK, all bikes and cars come with a basic tool kit (cheap and nasty) but handy in an emergency. I use the pliers for squishing lead weights when I go fishing - handy for that. I have put quality tools and confined the old ones to the shed, will put back in the bike if I sell it and transfer my decent sets to the next bike/car.
Not sure what you mean by a 'basic tool kit'... cars in the US only come with a lug wrench and frame jack so as to be able to change a flat tire. There are no other tools supplied by the manufacturer.

“Machines never lie.
Success will always come if they’re really good.
So let’s show the world what we’ve done.
Then they can see the real Honda!”

- Founder Soichiro Honda at the inception of the Honda Collection Hall.

Former Factory Test Rider/Technician
post #39 of 45 Old 07-26-2017, 07:09 PM
JNO

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMike View Post
........Like I said, the "tool kit" that some of you got with your non-US CBR300R's & CB300F's is for the most part from a bygone era, when motorcycles were carbureted and didn't require much more than simple tools and some knowhow to effect a repair.
Totally agree. That's why my 'tool kit' comprises a mobile phone and a credit card.

I propose to live forever. So far, so good.

To date: Honda C70 Super Cub, Honda CB100, MZ125, MZ250, Suzuki GSX1100F, Yamaha XJ900, Kawasaki ZZR1100, Yamaha XJR1300SP, Honda NSA700, Honda CBR300R
post #40 of 45 Old 07-26-2017, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMike View Post
The so-called tool kit as supplied with the CBR300R & CB300F in some markets is really nothing more than a hold over from a bygone era when motorcycles were simpler and less advanced..
These OEM tool kits that come with our bikes down here appear exactly the same as the ones we used to get in the eighties when Dad was buying brand new Honda XL trail bikes for the farm. Apart from the axle nut spanners perhaps. Just rubbish, dont know why they bother.

That was why when i did my 'CBR300 diet' thread I suggested the first thing you should get rid of to lose weight is the tool kit.

2014 CBR300 (sold)
2018 Ninja 400

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page