2" Handlebar Risers on CB300F - no problem. Here's how... - Honda CBR 300 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 05-12-2018, 02:56 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Cool 2" Handlebar Risers on CB300F - no problem. Here's how...

I have seen a lot of threads on risers, but not seen anyone successfully install 2" risers, so I thought I might share what I did. I'm loving the new riding position.

Initially I thought I would, at the very least, need a longer clutch cable and a longer front brake hose. Actually, none of this is required. I am using all original cables and hoses and have installed a riser with a 2" height gain, and also 1" offset to reduce reach. It's in the attached pictures, and was bought from Fleabay. This one.

To install them successfully I first removed the right hand side cover. this gave me access to completely take out the clutch cable and re route it more directly, and also have it pop out behind the triple tree, not within the wire cable guide (I bent it out of the way slightly) - overall, the absolutely shortest possible route. One of the attached pics shows where I cable tied it to keep it off the engine; the only tie needed. That's all that's needed for the left hand side and leaves the clutch cable with sufficient play to go lock to lock..

On the right hand side, with several cables and a brake hose I chose to completely remove the wire cable guide, and also cut the big rubber grommet off of the brake hose. To remove the guide it was necessary to unbolt the front cowl (4 bolts), and separate the two parts (two pop out plastic clips on the rear top corner of the cowl. This doesn't completely remove it from the bike but just about provides access to unbolt the wire cable guide. With that done I was able to manipulate the guide and remove it without disconnecting and cables or hoses, and without damaging the guide. That's all that is needed. Without the guide there is much more freedom in the right hand cables and hoses. I can turn the steering lock to lock without excessive tension on anything.

That's all there is to it, apart from putting the bike bits back together. Lovely - job done!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (395.2 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (321.0 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (369.6 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (314.1 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg 1b.jpg (636.6 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg 1a.jpg (70.0 KB, 60 views)

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-12-2018, 04:17 AM

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1792 Post(s)
Nice work Jim, a good mod. We must be polar opposites I'm guessing as I spent $200 on aluminium clip ons trying to lower my bars.

2014 CBR300 (sold)
2018 Ninja 400
post #3 of 5 Old 05-12-2018, 05:41 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Lol, kiwi rider - you should have bought an "r". I should have bought an "x" but they don't make a 300! This is working great for my achey old wrists though. 😀

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

post #4 of 5 Old 05-13-2018, 02:51 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimShortz View Post
Lol, kiwi rider - you should have bought an "r". I should have bought an "x" but they don't make a 300! This is working great for my achey old wrists though. 😀
I got the 300R and my gripe with it is they don't make a factory 300SM.

READY TO >> RACE
post #5 of 5 Old 05-15-2018, 08:55 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimShortz View Post
He did!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tier1 View Post
I got the 300R and my gripe with it is they don't make a factory 300SM.
Yeah, that would have suited my needs as well.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page