• 2 Post By kiwi rider

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 08-26-2019, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
$45.40 X-ring Chain (Good deal?)

What do you guys think of this 120 link X-ring chain? That is a very low price for an X-ring chain from JT

Edit: its actually $43.20 with slow shipping. And includes both rivet + clip style of master links

2016 CB300F - 7500 miles - 100% stock config
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-26-2019, 05:43 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
I trust their sprockets but for chains I'd stick with DID or RK. And rivet master only.
MotoMike and airhead83 like this.

2016 CBR300R non-ABS
post #3 of 10 Old 08-26-2019, 10:27 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 1033 Post(s)
Yes, only use a rivet type master link on a street/road bike. Clip type master links are for off road use.

You should also plan on replacing both sprockets at the same time.
airhead83 likes this.

“Machines never lie.
Success will always come if they’re really good.
So let’s show the world what we’ve done.
Then they can see the real Honda!”

- Founder Soichiro Honda at the inception of the Honda Collection Hall.

Former Factory Test Rider/Technician

post #4 of 10 Old 08-27-2019, 10:25 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Garage
comes with a rivet master link and has 8598 lbs tensile strength so it sounds like a decent chain-- so why do you think you need a new chain already
King CobRa likes this.
post #5 of 10 Old 08-27-2019, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Oh, I dont actually need a new chain. I was just browsing around and happened upon it and I noticed that the price is very low for an x-ring chain. This is my chain at 7500 miles (just adjusted it to 1 inch of tension about 3 weeks ago). I may actually manage to get >20,000 miles on it at the rate I am going. Maybe i can break the forum record for longest time with stock chain =)

Hi-Viz-Honda likes this.

post #6 of 10 Old 08-28-2019, 07:16 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
I hate the “clips for dirt bikes, rivets for street bikes” trope. Many of the dirt bikes I have ridden are more powerful than some of the street bikes I’ve ridden, and ALL of those dirt bikes put maximum strain on the chains. Big suspension travel, on/off throttle, engine braking out the ying-yang... The CBR300 has under 30 HP, and a properly installed clip master will not be a problem. I prefer riveted, but it’s not the end of the world to use a clip style in low-power applications.
post #7 of 10 Old 08-28-2019, 10:58 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
On the video below I like how he uses a piece of safety wire (mechanics wire) and twists it around the clip link as a redundant failsafe to ensure the clip link does not have an ability to break loose: Go to 34:26 of this video:

Hi-Viz-Honda likes this.

post #8 of 10 Old 09-05-2019, 07:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Being an old fart I remember when clip links were the norm for all chains back then and some of those bikes were 1000cc+, occasionally 1 might spit a chain but we were'nt all stuck on the side of the road every time we went for a ride, personally in 35 years of riding on 8 different bikes [ 6 of which were bigger and heavier than the 300 ] I have only ever used the clip links, much easier to clean a chain when its off the bike,so far I have never spat a chain, just lucky maybe. riveted I'm told is much better but the only guy I have personally ever seen spit a chain was on a fairly new DL650 and it was riveted, He was not happy so I personal don't see a clip that big of an issue, of course I might go and spit a chain on my very next ride and change my mind completely
post #9 of 10 Old 09-05-2019, 09:12 PM

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1783 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CB3me View Post
Being an old fart I remember when clip links were the norm for all chains back then and some of those bikes were 1000cc+, occasionally 1 might spit a chain but we were'nt all stuck on the side of the road every time we went for a ride, personally in 35 years of riding on 8 different bikes [ 6 of which were bigger and heavier than the 300 ] I have only ever used the clip links, much easier to clean a chain when its off the bike,so far I have never spat a chain, just lucky maybe. riveted I'm told is much better but the only guy I have personally ever seen spit a chain was on a fairly new DL650 and it was riveted, He was not happy so I personal don't see a clip that big of an issue, of course I might go and spit a chain on my very next ride and change my mind completely
I've been riding a similar amount of years and, dirt bikes aside, I've only thrown a chain once and it broke at a link that wasn't the master link. I had my chain too tight and got airborne over a short bridge at 80mph. When I landed the suspension bottomed really quickly and over stressed the chain as it went through it's stroke. I was in my early twenties at the time... nuff said Lol.
shisoshin and The_Bachelor like this.

2014 CBR300 (sold)
2018 Ninja 400
post #10 of 10 Old 09-06-2019, 06:39 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
also had road bikes with clips no problems.. easy chain off good for cleaning chain and associated areas incl some access around counter-shaft area..
chain off, soak and scrub, change oil, soak chain in oil run-off, clean everywhere, chain back on,, test ride to woop-woop and back..

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page