Top Speed? - Page 2 - Honda CBR 300 Forum
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 18 Old 10-01-2017, 10:04 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
With your feather weight you should easily crack the ton barrier.
First check that you have stock gearing then as JNO pointed out check that it is revving out.
Mine goes straight up to 150kmh at 9000rpm up right,then slower to 162kmh still up right.
There is nothing to be gained by taking each gear to the red line,5th and 6th are very close.
Change up between 8500 and 9000rpm for maximum acceleration with a stock engine and gearing.
The only time to take the engine past 9000rpm is in top gear during high speed runs.
Also note that these small bikes will lose a lot of top speed going into a head wind,even a slight 15kmh head wind.
mikal likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 Old 10-03-2017, 09:09 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Garage
I found a cure for the perception that the CBR300 has a slow top end. I bought a CRF230L a couple of days ago and I can assure you that it's top end makes the CBR feel like a CBR1000 when it comes to top speed. Make no mistake. BOTH bikes will get me more speeding tickets than I can afford. If you are looking for a high top speed, don't expect to find it in a 286cc production single. If you are looking for great looks in an economical, low-priced, easy to ride, easy to maintain, and, most of all, FUN ride, then look no further than the CBR300R.
mikal, Dryden-Tdub and King CobRa like this.

If women can't find you handsome, at least let them find you handy. Red Greene

Last edited by dirt road; 10-03-2017 at 10:21 PM.
post #13 of 18 Old 12-19-2018, 10:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
In my dreams the speedo touched an indicated 158km/h which reading these forums is probably closer to 142km/h actual. The speedo was still crawling upwards but I ran out of road so backed off.

I'm still familiarising myself with the bike and I didn't want to risk doing anything silly. Felt stable and safe at speed though. Was lent down but didn't particularly tuck in hard or anything like that. If I'd tucked in properly with a bit more road I'm guessing that an indicated 165km/h would have been easily achievable - about 92 mph actual.

Faster is not always better...!

post #14 of 18 Old 12-20-2018, 05:19 AM

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1797 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny Ride View Post
In my dreams the speedo touched an indicated 158km/h which reading these forums is probably closer to 142km/h actual. The speedo was still crawling upwards but I ran out of road so backed off.

I'm still familiarising myself with the bike and I didn't want to risk doing anything silly. Felt stable and safe at speed though. Was lent down but didn't particularly tuck in hard or anything like that. If I'd tucked in properly with a bit more road I'm guessing that an indicated 165km/h would have been easily achievable - about 92 mph actual.
I got an actual 164 outta mine but I was wrapped around the fuel tank like a coat of paint with elbows, toes and my breath tucked right in.

Where abouts in Otago are you?

2014 CBR300 (sold)
2018 Ninja 400
post #15 of 18 Old 12-20-2018, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi rider View Post
I got an actual 164 outta mine but I was wrapped around the fuel tank like a coat of paint with elbows, toes and my breath tucked right in.

Where abouts in Otago are you?

Indeed! But as I understand it you put both yourself and your bike on a strict performance dieting regime and I surely don't have the discipline for that!!!

Because of the nature of the interwebs I don't want to be too specific but that little run was done not far from Waihola.
kiwi rider likes this.

post #16 of 18 Old 01-06-2019, 12:56 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Garage
I saw this today, this guy splitting lanes at over 90 mph (145 km). Reckless driving in my opinion. Go to the 11 minute mark of video (11:00)

2016 CB300F - 8000 miles - 100% stock config
post #17 of 18 Old 01-06-2019, 04:00 AM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Garage
On my way to work, I have some Kilometers on German Autobahn with no speed limit. Accelleration to 140km/h (88mph) is pretty straight. Leaning a little down and waiting gives 150 km/h (94mph). Everything beyond takes additional effort: Down as much as possible and waiting. After a long time, you may reach 160km/h (100mph). Doing this is as difficult as getting a super sport to 300km/h - the traffic. On fast bikes, I must look for slow cars suddenly change lanes. On slow bikes, fast cars force you to the right lane with the slow traffic. 15T sprocket did not improve (GPS speed measurement). The bike doen't have enough power to get the 6th gear to the limit on even roads. Replacing exhaust was not a good idea: Top speed decreased about 10km/h (did the test on same day on same road).
However, the bike is fast enough for country roads.
King CobRa and Shiny Ride like this.
post #18 of 18 Old 01-06-2019, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwaihir View Post
Accelleration to 140km/h (88mph) is pretty straight. Leaning a little down and waiting gives 150 km/h (94mph).
The CBR does accelerate up to an actual 135-140km/h quite promptly. But you are right, after that progress does noticeably slow. The bike does keep speeding up after 140km/h but in its own leisurely way, and not at a rate useful to perform any manuevers with.

Currently I haven't been faster than an indicated 158km/h (~144km/h actual) and I neither had the time or the road in front of me to keep trying for faster.

Here in NZ the max speed limit is 100km/h so the bike is perfect for working around that. It can do it but it's certainly not that suited for spending a lot of time over 140km/h.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page