LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 09-21-2019, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to bheezy27403
(Thread Starter)
Exhaust...again

Recently purchased '15 CBR300R. I have read several threads on slip on's but most are quite old (kinda quiet around here eh?). So I wanted to ask what is being used and try to get responses in one place. For now, I am just looking for a slip on for a little more music. I don't care about performance gains (there won't be any significant gains with a slip on anyway) but I don't want to lose any torque either. I don't want it to sound like a dirt bike and I don't want to have to add a Power Commander or remap. I've done a little research and there are several available but wanted to know from those that have been running theirs for a couple years now what they think. Your input is very much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 09-21-2019, 05:06 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Garage
Seems like the consensus is 1) you'll lose power without remapping, 2) it'll sound like a single-cylinder thumper. But I don't have experience with a catback — I found a (used) full Yoshimura exhaust for mine. Bike was, to be expected, noticeably down on power without the piggyback ecu. It was also super loud (on throttle) without the db silencer in place. With the silencer, the volume is acceptable and easily modulated with the throttle.

2015 CB300F
purchased 2,390 mi // currently 9.7k+ mi
post #3 of 19 Old 09-21-2019, 06:08 PM

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1788 Post(s)
One thing that impressed me when I put a slip on on my CBR was that it seemed to still run pretty well and didnt pop much at all.
But yes you lose that low-midrange torque a bit.
Unfortunately you really need to re-map to get the best out of them. But then who wants to spend big $$ on a cheap bike?

2014 CBR300 (sold)
2018 Ninja 400

post #4 of 19 Old 09-22-2019, 11:06 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
To me, it only sounds “dirt bike-y” at lower rpms. Above that, I kind of like the growl (then again, I’ve always liked singles). Since the fun starts at 6K, I’m OK with that. Also, I agree with kiwi rider; even a slip-on is around 10% of my new purchase price.
post #5 of 19 Old 09-22-2019, 11:07 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Garage
I got a slip on with two baffles you can have for $50 all set up takes 5 mins to change it out- if you want to see it go to Craigs list Lafayette la. motorcycle section
post #6 of 19 Old 09-22-2019, 11:11 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
Seems like the consensus is 1) you'll lose power without remapping, 2) it'll sound like a single-cylinder thumper. But I don't have experience with a catback I found a (used) full Yoshimura exhaust for mine. Bike was, to be expected, noticeably down on power without the piggyback ecu. It was also super loud (on throttle) without the db silencer in place. With the silencer, the volume is acceptable and easily modulated with the throttle.
I guess it depends on what pipe your using-the one I have improved the low end no popping and made the bike rev faster and is ten lbs lighter-- I just dodn't care for the noise anymore and went back to stock
post #7 of 19 Old 09-22-2019, 10:05 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
leo vince carbon evo slipon[s] on cbtr250/300r worked well, no popping, no obvious loss of torque [if anything better response on a steep uphill run], with both cb reducers in.. they used to say '10lb = one hp' so theres one hp on cbr250r dumping stock anchor..
its a single, so will sound like a single, only louder..
for me the extra loudness was like feedback on a habit of over-revving for engine braking etc.. an unexpected positive from the slipon..
at idle its not offensive imo.. if treated as a tool, feedback on your throttle habits etc, it can be a positive thing.. context including very loud stock harleys etc.. context also includes a couple of light revs approaching stopped/slow cars at traffic lights etc,, getting short range attention without using horn etc.. [potential safety factor]..

still, many other slipons do make 'too much' noise.. some well made sound 'tinny' to my ear, eg yoshi steel etc.. carbon is slightly 'softer' sound given similar revs etc.. but for some a plain [no cat] muffler built for lightness and nice tight fit is worthwhile at near stock sounds..
[bear in mind stock can be lightly oiled and stored for later sale etc]

there is a mass of specific info on thios and other motorcycle media, including videos comparing sound and noise etc...
post #8 of 19 Old 09-22-2019, 11:51 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorboy View Post
I got a slip on with two baffles you can have for $50 all set up takes 5 mins to change it out- if you want to see it go to Craigs list Lafayette la. motorcycle section
What did you think of the pipe? Obviously you didn't love it. Did you just throw it on there with no remapping? I'm interested.
post #9 of 19 Old 09-22-2019, 11:56 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shisoshin View Post
leo vince carbon evo slipon[s] on cbtr250/300r worked well, no popping, no obvious loss of torque [if anything better response on a steep uphill run], with both cb reducers in.. they used to say '10lb = one hp' so theres one hp on cbr250r dumping stock anchor..
its a single, so will sound like a single, only louder..
for me the extra loudness was like feedback on a habit of over-revving for engine braking etc.. an unexpected positive from the slipon..
at idle its not offensive imo.. if treated as a tool, feedback on your throttle habits etc, it can be a positive thing.. context including very loud stock harleys etc.. context also includes a couple of light revs approaching stopped/slow cars at traffic lights etc,, getting short range attention without using horn etc.. [potential safety factor]..

still, many other slipons do make 'too much' noise.. some well made sound 'tinny' to my ear, eg yoshi steel etc.. carbon is slightly 'softer' sound given similar revs etc.. but for some a plain [no cat] muffler built for lightness and nice tight fit is worthwhile at near stock sounds..
[bear in mind stock can be lightly oiled and stored for later sale etc

there is a mass of specific info on thios and other motorcycle media, including videos comparing sound and noise etc...
Again. Did you have to mess with the mapping for this. I looked at these as probably the one I would go with if I choose to change it out. Heck, after riding it today in a very spirited manner with much bigger bikes I may go whole hog with a full system and a fuel controller.
post #10 of 19 Old 09-23-2019, 12:29 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bheezy27403 View Post
What did you think of the pipe? Obviously you didn't love it. Did you just throw it on there with no remapping? I'm interested.
It's not that I don't like it -I like to try different things-right now the pipe is on the bike-next week maybe not-the bike has gone from a every day bike to a go get coffee bike- I now have a bigger hiway bike-I did have to make a few mods to get it to fit right new bracket- bolts pipe reducer - but as it is real easy on and off-It did not need remapping and NO popping-two baffles one a little louder than the other-but only on acceleration- at cruise speed not loud at all-just thought someone might want to save a bunch of money if not I'll continue to play with it no big deal--also have a set of HD fork springs cheap

It's not a big motorcycle just groovy little motor bike

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page