LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 12-03-2018, 02:51 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Riding Gear Addiction

I myself went on a splurge of gear about 2 weeks ago. Thats why its best for me not even to log into those websites because when I see an awesome deal I end up pulling the trigger.

For example I just bought some $36 gloves (Which means that now I have 3 sets of gloves) and then I bought a second helmet for $125 (a helmet that I am not 100% happy with but I feel dishonest to RMA the thing because the things I dont like are really nit-picking things and imagine me returning a helmet "because the visor snaps down TOO LOUD". Because that is one of my complaints about the helmet.

Its also ironic that the first helmet I bought on deep discount for $40 is my main helmet now and that I like it more than the $125 helmet (also on deep discount) but the dumb thing I did was buy the second helmet which is marketed as a "race helmet, track helmet, designed for fully tucked or 3/4 way position) I made a bad choice to buy that when I ride the CB300F which has upright position and I never even tuck on the Expressway either (I dont tuck because I want to keep looking at the cagers around me in the side mirrors and if I tuck I wont be able to see the mirrors and maybe a cager will sneak up on me and cause a crash because I did not see him to get away from him in time.

In fact even today a cager did a U-turn directly in front of me as if I did not even exist. ANd if I had not closed the throttle to start to slow down (Which is a habit of mine when I see cars coming the other way into a street intersection.......If I had not taken evasive action I would be crashed. In fact that is like the 3rd time in this week that cars have cut me off as if I am invisible.

But in addition to that I also bought some Sidi Air Tour boots and now I barely wear them (I bought them and said "i will wear these when taking a long ride on the highway" and also had spent almost $100 on long gauntlet gloves with knox sliders and the things are bullet-proof but a pain in the buns to take on and off.

Sometimes we have great intentions to buy very protective gear but the gear is so uncomfortable or unwieldy to put on and remove that we end up leaving the gear at home. Although I am wearing motorcycle "Hi-Top sneakers" from Cycle Gear those feel as comfortable as normal shoes to walk around in. But since I am wearing them so often I am going to end up wearing them out, already I have had to glue the sole on 2 times

2016 CB300F - 8000 miles - 100% stock config
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 12-03-2018, 04:26 AM

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1797 Post(s)
@King CobRa I've got a couple of riding buddies who also seem to be forever buying new boots and helmets and own multiple counts of each.

Part of their problem (and sounds like yours too perhaps) is that they buy online so never actually get to try the stuff on to see if it fits good or they like it before it turns up off the courier.

Cant beat a bit of 'showrooming' first or even better, ask the store if they can match the online prices. I did this with my last Shoei purchase and the store obliged.

2014 CBR300 (sold)
2018 Ninja 400
post #3 of 3 Old 12-03-2018, 04:40 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi rider View Post
@King CobRa I've got a couple of riding buddies who also seem to be forever buying new boots and helmets and own multiple counts of each.

Part of their problem (and sounds like yours too perhaps) is that they buy online so never actually get to try the stuff on to see if it fits good or they like it before it turns up off the courier.

Cant beat a bit of 'showrooming' first or even better, ask the store if they can match the online prices. I did this with my last Shoei purchase and the store obliged.
Yeah, you have a good point. I bought the stuff online (sight unseen) and just based my purchase on YouTube videos and user reviews. And I did RMA a couple of things but only if the product was a complete fail or in one case I actually got a helmet that had the gasket around the visor already peeling off when I first put it on.

A big mistake I made was to order a used tinted visor on eBay on a helmet that was still in transit. Because I ended up RMAing the helmet (with the bad gasket) and now I am stuck with the used tinted visor and will try to sell it locally

But to be honest I thought it was normal for guys to own 3 or 4 helmets if you have been riding for more than 3 years.

2016 CB300F - 8000 miles - 100% stock config

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page