• 1 Post By airhead83

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 04-01-2019, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Washing your gear

How often do you wash your helmet, gloves, jacket and pants? I just filled a plastic bin with warm water and a few ounces of baby shampoo and got all my stuff clean. It'll take a few hours to dry.

I ride from mid-April through the end of October and I'll be going on my 4th season this month. This is the first time I've washed my stuff. Kinda gross, right? I should be doing it before every riding season...I'm sure my helmet liner will thank me when I saddle up for my first ride of the year. And it looks as good as the day I bought it. My jacket has some stains/road grime on the hi-viz that won't come out, but that's fine.

2016 CBR300R

Last edited by Hi-Viz-Honda; 04-01-2019 at 11:54 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-01-2019, 12:43 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Why would you use baby shampoo to clean your gear?

For textile jackets & pants that have road grim/grease stains you'd want to pre-treat using a strong stain remover like Shout or similar. Then wash using a color safe laundry detergent.

BTW, if you want your jacket and pants to have water repellency, there is a product made by Nikwax, called TX-Direct (wash-in or spray on), which work really well.

“Machines never lie.
Success will always come if they’re really good.
So let’s show the world what we’ve done.
Then they can see the real Honda!”

- Founder Soichiro Honda at the inception of the Honda Collection Hall.

Former Factory Test Rider/Technician
post #3 of 10 Old 04-01-2019, 01:10 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

post #4 of 10 Old 04-01-2019, 09:54 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
I wash mine if it starts stinking. So thats like twice a year basically. If i get a stain I will spot treat it right away, usually with dawn dish soap

I hand wash everything in the bathroom sink using normal laundry detergent and hang it up to dry on the line. I take all the pads out of the pants and jacket first, of course.

The pants I dont wear very often (mostly only on long highway trips) so those I have not yet washed.

2016 CB300F - 6200 miles - 100% stock config
post #5 of 10 Old 04-02-2019, 07:19 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I should've removed the pads and used detergent lol. Is there a safety reason for removing the pads or does it just make washing easier?

2016 CBR300R
post #6 of 10 Old 04-15-2019, 10:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
High-Viz-honda that is just instructions for a helmet. If the pads are removable you should take them out to wash. it does make things easier and helps you get things cleaner.

The rest of the posts from these members are referring to their gear (jackets, pants, gloves) and what they use to clean them.

2001 Triumph Speed four
2007 SV650
2015 CB300F
post #7 of 10 Old 04-16-2019, 10:28 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjames654 View Post
High-Viz-honda that is just instructions for a helmet. If the pads are removable you should take them out to wash. it does make things easier and helps you get things cleaner.

The rest of the posts from these members are referring to their gear (jackets, pants, gloves) and what they use to clean them.
I think King Cobra was referring to the removable CE protection pads in jackets and pants.

In addition to periodically washing helmet padding, something that works well for keeping helmets from getting too funky during the riding season, especially in the hotter months, is to put some wadded up newspaper inside the helmet between rides.
Hi-Viz-Honda likes this.

“Machines never lie.
Success will always come if they’re really good.
So let’s show the world what we’ve done.
Then they can see the real Honda!”

- Founder Soichiro Honda at the inception of the Honda Collection Hall.

Former Factory Test Rider/Technician
post #8 of 10 Old 04-16-2019, 11:22 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Yes I was referring to the CE removable pads. I always take them out because all the instructions I have read online say to do it. The pads may not take kindly to getting wet and washed. It may cause them to deteriorate. Im not sure but also with the pads out you can really get the jacket or pants throughly clean.

We want to avoid "over-washing" the jacket and pants as well. The act of washing causes trauma to the material and it certainly will "wear out" the clothing sooner especially if you are washing the stuff like every month.

I think best practice is to spot treat any stains and only to wash the whole thing if it starts smelling funky or if its REALLY dirty and dingy. As far as the smell only you may try putting the jacket or pants in the freezer and that will kill the bacteria that cause the foul odors.

The most important thing to remember is to stay away from washing machine or the dryer. Handwash only and hang it up to dry in the sun.

With the helmet I found out something simple: After a long ride when you have sweated inside the helmet DO make sure to leave the visor flipped completely open to allow ventilation and air to dry out the helmet. I had been guilty of putting the helmet away with the visor closed and sure enough after 3 or 4 weeks it smelled really nasty.

I own 2 helmets and rotate between them to give each helmet enough time to fully dry out.
Hi-Viz-Honda likes this.

2016 CB300F - 6200 miles - 100% stock config
post #9 of 10 Old 04-16-2019, 03:30 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Garage
For cleaning jackets and trousers the recommended Nikwax product is Tech Wash, used in a washing machine. After washing is complete use TX Direct Wash-in to re proof the garments.
I've been using these for many years, mainly for my mountaineering gear. Suitable for all membrane type garments such as Goretex, Sympatex etc. The proofer is not needed after EVERY wash.
MotoMike likes this.

Don't worry about old age - it doesn't last that long.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2016 CBR300RA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 10 Old 04-16-2019, 06:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Something to consider. I wear a "helmet liner" all seasons under my helmet. Actually wear a balaclava in the winter to give more warmth, and rotate it as needed with my shorter liner. Both use thin enough materials they don't interfere with helmet fit, and they also block off some noise and wind, while wicking away perspiration in warmer weather. Easy to wash, keeps the helmet pads clean for longer intervals between washing, and allows some comfort between the helmet interior and my almost bald head. Win, Win.
Zeke likes this.

To ride or not to ride? What a stupid question.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page