35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 04-18-2019, 03:45 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Hi Viz without looking like a dork

I purchased a hi-visibility orange shirt and wrapped my duffel bag with it (I always ride with a duffel bag that I strap down to the rear seat to keep my locks and safety gear).

I still have to experiment with the best way to wrap the rucksack inside the shirt but I wanted to present this solution to the group. This will increase your visibility from the rear and the sides.

$12 on Amazon. I chose size XL but Large would have been a better fit

The sleeves of the shirt flap around in the wind and I feel it is a real attention-grabber to the cars. I think this solution could decrease your chances of getting rear-ended by a significant margin.

And yes that is a 16 oz beer can on the side of the motorcycle that I use as a platform underneath the sidestand (kickstand) whenever I park on grass or sand

Play a game of "Wheres Waldo?" Can you spot the can of beer near my engine?

2016 CB300F - 5500 miles - 100% stock config
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 04-18-2019, 04:40 PM

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1732 Post(s)
I'm wondering if changing the actual bag to something Hi-viz would be better. There's potential there for the shirt to flap loose and end up wrapped around your chain and sprockets or such like.
Good idea though.
King CobRa likes this.

2014 CBR300 (sold)
2018 Ninja 400
post #3 of 18 Old 04-18-2019, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi rider View Post
I'm wondering if changing the actual bag to something Hi-viz would be better. There's potential there for the shirt to flap loose and end up wrapped around your chain and sprockets or such like.
Good idea though.
On this particular setup what i did with the duffel bag was placed it INSIDE the shirt. Imagine the duffel bag as a human torso inside the shirt and then the bottom part of the shirt is folded over and underneath. So rest assured: The chances of the shirt blowing off the bike are less than 2%. The neck hole of this shirt is very small.

If we want to "go bananas" with this concept I can attach a small red flag to the end of each shirt sleeve. Just imagine those flapping around in the wind. LoL. But this is of course "too much".

What i like best about this particular setup is that we have the loud orange color (It is actually even more vivid than the photo demonstrates) and also the large reflective stripes that really POP at night.

For a few months I was wearing an orange construction worker's vest but then I realized that the duffel bag was covering up the bottom 50% of my torso when viewed from behind by a car. Then I realized that the most effective method would be to wrap the duffel bag itself with a orange hi-viz. And this has the added benefit of being more "socially acceptable" to mainstream people than wearing the vest itself and looking like a dork.

I am not a fan of wearing backpacks on a motorcycle and much prefer the approach of strapping the bag to the pillon seat. Going down in a crash with a backpack on your back could result in further injuries.

More info on my duffel bag and straps I use here:

https://www.cbr300forum.com/forum/ri...rear-seat.html

2016 CB300F - 5500 miles - 100% stock config

post #4 of 18 Old 04-18-2019, 05:08 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Garage
I can see the plastic fork you use to eat your chips (french fries) with.

Don't worry about old age - it doesn't last that long.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2016 CBR300RA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 18 Old 04-18-2019, 05:31 PM

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1732 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by King CobRa View Post
So rest assured: The chances of the shirt blowing off the bike are less than 2%.
2%! I work for a multi-national roading company where we have a Zero Harm policy. My H&S mangers would gringe at your projection. Ha ha.

I think the best solution would be to get an upholsterer to sew a weather proof Hi Viz panel onto the back of your duffel bag with a reflective strip across it. But it's your gig and that's just my offering.
King CobRa and airhead83 like this.

2014 CBR300 (sold)
2018 Ninja 400
post #6 of 18 Old 04-18-2019, 05:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Drivers in my part of the world are oblivious to their surroundings. Too busy putting on makeup, texting/talking on the phone, eating, you name it, to drive and be aware of what's going on around them. So, I'm all for Hi-Visibility anyway and anywhere. My helmet is a matte black/Hi-Viz yellow. Not as pretty as my previous helmet that matched my red/white bike. But, the 1st time a half drunk yahoo in a loud pickup truck "hollerd" and asked who I had to run down to get "That Ugly**** Helmet", I knew all was well.

To ride or not to ride? What a stupid question.
post #7 of 18 Old 04-18-2019, 06:59 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
saw a scoot rider the other night with two white flashing lights on back of his helmet..
dark night with cloud cover, the scoot virtually invisible [from behind in traffic]
[probably a 'dork',, but at least an obviously visible one]
King CobRa and airhead83 like this.
post #8 of 18 Old 04-18-2019, 07:18 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
I'm alright with looking like a dork. Love neon yellow/green. Always have.

2016 CBR300R
post #9 of 18 Old 04-19-2019, 10:12 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by King CobRa View Post
... And this has the added benefit of being more "socially acceptable" to mainstream people than wearing the vest itself and looking like a dork...
Just my opinion, but the biggest issue I see here is that you care what other people think about your choice of motorcycle apparel, i.e. "looking like a dork", and you shouldn't. Motorcycle riding is not a fashion show.

Our only concern regarding other drivers on the road, is that we as motorcycle riders are doing what we can to make ourselves as visible as possible to other drivers. And that means wearing brightly colored helmets and jackets. And they don't necessarily have to be Hi-Vis colors. For example, a solid yellow helmet can be seen in 360 degrees by other motorists...

Which brings me to your idea of wrapping the duffle bag with a Hi-Vis shirt. Aside from safety issues pointed out in other posts... sleeves flapping around in the wind, potentially getting caught in the chain, etc... the fact is that shirt is doing absolutely nothing to improve your ability to be seen from the front by oncoming drivers. One of the more common types of car - motorcycle collisions is where an oncoming car makes a left turn right in front of the bike. And of course the car driver always says "but I didn't see that motorcycle".

Bottom line: Stop worrying about "looking like a dork" or what anyone else thinks of the choices you make regarding the colors of your riding gear. Those people can take their inconsequential opinions and go pound sand.

At the end of the day it's your neck that is on the line. Do whatever you need to do to give yourself the best chances to be seen by other motorists.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1353.JPG (1.13 MB, 28 views)
Hi-Viz-Honda and airhead83 like this.

“Machines never lie.
Success will always come if they’re really good.
So let’s show the world what we’ve done.
Then they can see the real Honda!”

- Founder Soichiro Honda at the inception of the Honda Collection Hall.

Former Factory Test Rider/Technician

Last edited by MotoMike; 04-19-2019 at 10:50 AM.
post #10 of 18 Old 04-19-2019, 10:30 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Garage
I wear a First Gear hi viz jacket and helmet and when not cold a hi viz vest or long sleeve hi viz shirt with the same helmet
don't really care what I look like-- if anything I look alive--after wearing hi viz a few years I do notice less close misses and my riding buddys say they can see me coming a mile away

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page