• 1 Post By King CobRa

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 08-10-2019, 12:28 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Circumventing highway toll cameras

Here in South Florida we have Sunpass which is the company that takes a photo of your tag and then you get charged.

This guy I know says that riding right on the white line will work about 90% of the time. Here are some examples of times that "This bloke I know" got caught by the camera:

https://imgur.com/a/d95KxxU

Click on the individual photos to get a maximized full view. It appears that magnetic strips in the road are what causes the camera to be triggered in most of the photos (But not on all of them).

The chap who posted these photos on the internet also owns a bike that is almost exactly similar to a CB300F in both size and weight.

Of course I would never advise anybody to break the local toll laws............. but I wanted to create this thread and see if you guys can spot "the reason" that the toll camera was triggered in these photos.

So we can have a little bit of fun with this thread and take a more in depth look at the technology of toll cameras and how they react with a small motorcycle such as CB300

2016 CB300F - 7000 miles - 100% stock config
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-10-2019, 12:45 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
What I find particularly humorous is how they extended the magnetic strips almost completely across the lane. Obviously they where thinking about motorcycles when they designed it.

Its humorous because motorcycles account for less than 1% of vehicles in my local county and yet you can see that the cost of this project was tacked on several million dollars I am certain (compared to if they where just wanting to apprehend cars) just to "grab" motorcycles also.

I have little doubt that the whole project would have cost less than half if they had not decided to extend the magnetic strip across the entire lane.

post #3 of 5 Old 08-10-2019, 07:27 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
I'm guessing riding the white line didn't work for this guy, since the cameras were obviously working when these photos were taken. Or, maybe he just forgot to engage his "cloaking device" before he entered the toll road's pay zone.
MotoMike and King CobRa like this.

To ride or not to ride? What a stupid question.

post #4 of 5 Old 08-11-2019, 03:39 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Garage
My exhaust is carbon fiber and stainless. I cant trigger any magnetic sensors. I could when it was stock.
King CobRa likes this.

2015 HONDA CBR300R
2009 HONDA CRF230M

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 Old 08-12-2019, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
@airhead83: He says it works 90% of the time but on these photos is the few times that it did not work. He rides that same toll highway to work and back every day but only got "charged" by the system I think 5 or 6 times inside of the full 30 days.

Also he told me that when possible to ride on the emergency shoulder (if there is one available) and that this way it always works since there are no magnetic sensors on the white line that is all the way to the side.

atown8605: That is pretty cool. On my own bike I attached a large magnet that I had pulled out of an old hard-drive and I attached that to the bottom of my bike because I was getting stuck at red lights when if I was the first vehicle in the queue that the red light would never change. And even with the giant magnet I think it only works 75% of the time (to trigger the red light to change)
airhead83 likes this.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page