1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 10-03-2014, 07:38 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Stock tire performance?

Is any body else disappointed with the stock tire grip?

On cool mornings I have had the rear tire get loose around low speed corners at intersections several times. I have driven the same route with my Enfield GT a bike with almost double the displacement, same HP, about10lbs more torque but came with Pirelli sport demons. The GT has never had the rear wheel get loose unintentionally on any pavement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 10-03-2014, 04:28 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Haven't had any problems at all but the streets here in AZ. are pretty hot which may make the stock tires stick better.
post #3 of 15 Old 10-04-2014, 09:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
G'day this is my first bike and first on road experience is with my cbr300,So i have been told i am giving it a bit and i probably am but i wont push my limits and i have had a few curvy rides with mates and in trying to keep up with 1000s i have had the rear slip an inch or two many times now even on local streets scared s#it out of me the first time but i will go with sticky tyres for the second set and not venture to the edge of these tyres too much.Though some roads are to be blamed not just these stock tyres.But a fun nimble bike,feels like i am going faster than i am ripping though the gears i love going across town now.

Jase

post #4 of 15 Old 10-04-2014, 11:52 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Here's the deal.......some of us buy aftermarket parts for our bikes. As for me......(guilty as charged). I've read a lot of stuff online about the IRC tires that come stock on our bikes. Some good reviews and some not so good. I guess you have to ask yourself this question. Would Honda put anything sub standard on any product they make? I'm guessing not. That's why we all are smart enough to ride Honda.......just saying.
post #5 of 15 Old 10-06-2014, 02:52 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 1023 Post(s)
Is the IRC RoadWinner a good all around tire for most street riders? Yes.

Is the IRC the best tire available for these bikes in terms of overall performance? No.

A very good replacement tire choice for most street riders (non track use) is the new Michelin Pilot Street Radial, which was developed specifically for small displacement bikes like the Honda CBR300R, CBR250R, and Ninja 250 & 300.

There is a thread in this forum that has more info about these Michelin tires: https://www.cbr300forum.com/forum/whe...ial-tires.html
Cropper likes this.

ďMachines never lie.
Success will always come if theyíre really good.
So letís show the world what weíve done.
Then they can see the real Honda!Ē

- Founder Soichiro Honda at the inception of the Honda Collection Hall.

Former Factory Test Rider/Technician

Last edited by MotoMike; 10-13-2014 at 07:10 PM.
post #6 of 15 Old 12-27-2018, 04:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkilla71 View Post
Is any body else disappointed with the stock tire grip?

On cool mornings I have had the rear tire get loose around low speed corners at intersections several times.

I just had the same happen to me on the same kind of intersection. Would have been going under 20 mph (under 30kph). Squeezed on the throttle a bit early and the rear of the bike slid out (rotated into the direction of the turn) about 20 degrees before I eased off the throttle. Unexpected and got my heart going a bit!

I've also noticed the stock tyres can skip and chatter a little bit under very moderate cornering at speed even when reasonably warm. Not much, but enough to be noticed.

Faster is not always better...!
post #7 of 15 Old 12-27-2018, 06:04 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMike View Post
A very good replacement tire choice for most street riders (non track use) is the new Michelin Pilot Street Radial, which was developed specifically for small displacement bikes like the Honda CBR300R, CBR250R, and Ninja 250 & 300.
Another excellent tyre in these sizes are Bridgestone S20 EVO's.
I have had them for 2 summers now on my R3. (110/70-17, 140/70-17).

I've spent most of my money on women, motorcycles, and beer.
The rest of it I just wasted.
post #8 of 15 Old 12-27-2018, 07:45 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny Ride View Post
I've also noticed the stock tyres can skip and chatter a little bit under very moderate cornering at speed even when reasonably warm. Not much, but enough to be noticed.

Those IRC Stockies are bad and they should feel bad.

Like Shiny Ride said I get skipping and chattering although I thought it was moreso to do with the suspension and tire alignment issues than anything.

I'm really loving my ContiAttack SM Evo, the 300 is so light that it actually works as an aggressive tire. Definitely a tire that's above my ability to push but I'm really happy with them.

Sometime next season I'm going to be getting a shop to mount this R6 shock that I got. The i2i and stroke is almost perfect plus you get all the adjustability. This is a bike I'm definitely keeping for a while (mainly because I'm poor and with the financial markets the way they are... I'm not in a great position).

READY TO >> RACE
post #9 of 15 Old 12-28-2018, 10:27 AM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Garage
My CBR300 had S20 Evos on when I got it. They were OK but I have replaced them with Michelin Pilot Street Radials and the handling is much better.

Don't worry about old age - it doesn't last that long.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2016 CBR300RA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 15 Old 12-28-2018, 01:18 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gromit View Post
My CBR300 had S20 Evos on when I got it. They were OK but I have replaced them with Michelin Pilot Street Radials and the handling is much better.
Really? Could it be that the S20's were worn out and the Michelins were new? The "chicken strips" on my R3/S20 rear is only 1/8". (Hot weather only as I am not a daredevil.)
That being said, I have liked various Michelins on other bikes in the past, so will probably give the Pilot Street Radials a try if I get disgusted with the IRC's.
BTW, my R3 came with bias ply Pilot Street tyres. I did not like them, but I am sure the radials are a whole lot better.

I've spent most of my money on women, motorcycles, and beer.
The rest of it I just wasted.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page