LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 Old 04-21-2019, 07:06 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Mounting my own, and trying the Shinko 006s

1) I'm planning to pick up the Shinko Podium 006's as a replacement for the stock IRCs in advance of the rest of the season / my first track day next month. Motorcyclist had a 2015 tire comparo (first video) that pitted the Michelin Pilot Streets, Bridgestone S20 Evos, Shinko SR 880/881s, Pirelli Diablo Rosso IIs, and IRC Road Winners against one another. The IRCs actually performed OK in this test comparo, coming in ahead of the Michelins (last placed), but behind the remainder. Surprisingly, the Shinkos (#2) and Bridgestones (#1) outperformed the Pirellis.

My OE IRCs are showing some cracking after 4-5 years on the bike, and the rear is approaching the center wear bar. I'll probably hold on to them since they have life left, but I want fresh rubber for the track event. Looking at the Shinko website, and user reviews of the longevity of the 006s, I'm guessing that the 880/881 and 006 use a relatively similar compound (both are "intermediate" according to their site). Additionally, I can get a set of the 006s (150/60 rear) for about $150 shipped (front+rear). I don't have strong brand loyalty when it comes to tires, and for that price...

2) Why don't I just invest in the equipment to mount and balance my own rubber? I've mounted and balanced car wheels before, when I had access to a balancer, and it's certainly not difficult. Motorcyclist also has a helpful video how to DIY mounting+balancing (second video), and it couldn't be simpler. Cost of all the equipment is <$200 via Amazon.

3) The Shinkos are available in 140/60 and 150/60, not our stock 140/70/17. Perfect opportunity to test the 150/60! Member @sad seemed more than happy with his Shinko 006s in the 150/60 size, and I am willing to try out the slightly wider rubber given: intake, exhaust, fuel controller, 13t front sprocket on my bike, and the 4" rear wheel (happily wide enough to accommodate the 150 tire) stock on the 300. I am guessing that I will sacrifice some of our bicycle-like turn-in for maximum potential grip.

Will report back.

kiwi rider and airhead83 like this.

2015 CB300F
purchased 2,390 mi // currently 9.1k+ mi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 04-21-2019, 07:17 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Awesome video. Let us know how those fit and perform after you get them mounted.
If I had Ari's muscles and strength, I could make it look easy too. But I don't. So I have to grunt, groan, curse, and grunt again to mount mine.

To ride or not to ride? What a stupid question.
post #3 of 31 Old 04-21-2019, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Ha! I'm betting (hoping) the pro-grade tire irons are doing all the work in the vid.
airhead83 likes this.

2015 CB300F

post #4 of 31 Old 04-22-2019, 08:44 AM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
I thought about doing it myself but when we consider how infrequently the tires need changing.... In my case I would be better off to just pull the wheels off and take them to the local indy tire repair shop that charges $10 per tire to put new tire on the rim and balance it.

I dont mean a motorcycle shop, I mean a Mom and Pop tire repair shop for cars.

Shinko sounds like a smart purchase. Thats probably the way I am going to go as well (Unless i can get a raging deal on lightly used IRC from somebody that upgraded the stock tires really soon)

2016 CB300F - 6500 miles - 100% stock config
post #5 of 31 Old 04-22-2019, 10:09 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Garage
you tube-- wire tie motorcycle tire change-- also going to be hard to find car tire shop that will do motorcycle tires
MotoMike likes this.

It's not a big motorcycle just groovy little motor bike
post #6 of 31 Old 04-22-2019, 10:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
When I was young, I used to do all my own tire work. That bike was a 175cc.... I'm not sure how how different the 300 would be. To break the bead, I put the edge of the tire under the back wheel of a car and had a buddy back over it while I was standing on it (be careful not to run over the rim). A buddy of mine used to set a bottle jack on the tire bead, put the jack and tire under his truck and the jack it up to break the bead.

I used to balance the tire on the bike, but I've been thinking of using a step ladder and figuring out how to mount a "axle" to that for balancing (I'm spaced challenged and redneck qualified..... )

Brad
Zeke likes this.

Brad Bachelor
"Marrying an old bachelor is like buying second-hand furniture." - Helen Rowland

Current: 2018 CBR300

Former Rides: 1971 Honda CT90, 1973 Honda CB175, 1978 Yamaha XS650, 1981 Honda CM200T, 1983 Yamaha XJ650 Turbo,1983 Honda VF750S, 1985 Kawasaki GPZ550, 1989 CBR600F1, 2006 Yamaha TW200, 2006 Suzuki GZ250, 2014 Honda CTX700N
post #7 of 31 Old 04-22-2019, 12:43 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
I've gotten older, but not necessarily wiser. So, I'm still changing my own tires. I'd try the "car backing over" deal, but all my buddies have died of old age. And, I wouldn't trust my wife to back up the car while I'd be in a vulnerable position in close proximity to her aim. Sometimes, us old guys just have to be creative. So, I,ve found a largish "C-clamp" does a nice job of breaking the tire from the bead. Then the grunting/groaning begins.
MotoMike and The_Bachelor like this.

To ride or not to ride? What a stupid question.
post #8 of 31 Old 04-22-2019, 02:37 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
C-clamp sounds like a good method to try!

$10 a tire to mount+balance is a great deal. I did have a back alley tire place where I grew up that charged that rate, but double that is typical in my more recent experience.

One common point of feedback on the Shinkos is that they wear quickly (5-7.5k miles instead of 7k+), so that was another tick for getting the equipment to DIY.

2015 CB300F
post #9 of 31 Old 04-22-2019, 04:16 PM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Garage
I take the wheel and new tyre to my local branch of a national tyre shop and they change them for me. They do it for free because they supply and fit tyres for my motorhome, my 4x4 and my wife's 2 cars. For balancing I use Dynabeads. Pour them in through the valve stem then screw in the valve. They balance the tyre dynamically as it revolves. I used them in my Deauville too and they save all the trouble with weights. Look them up on their website. They are re-useable, just collect them out of the old tyre when it is removed and pour them into the new. They are very small ceramic beads.
Zeke likes this.

Don't worry about old age - it doesn't last that long.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2016 CBR300RA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 31 Old 05-10-2019, 12:46 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorboy View Post
you tube-- wire tie motorcycle tire change-- also going to be hard to find car tire shop that will do motorcycle tires
I finally watched the videos, and yep! Looks like a great method for getting the tires off/on the wheel. My next reply will be reporting back on how the process went and initial thoughts on the Shinkos.

2015 CB300F

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page