13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 07-12-2019, 08:36 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Geriatric Suspension Upgrades

Oh how I wish this was about how the bike feels through the esses at Laguna Seca..... it is not........
My wife and I combined weigh about 350 lbs (Hey!!!.....we’re working on it......). We two up ride our little Cbr300r a lot. When traveling, we tow the bike in a covered trailer behind the motor home. My wife complains about the springs bottoming out on some of the more severe bumps.

Does anyone have any suggestions (shock swaps, spacers, etc.....) that would make the ride more comfortable? I’m looking for a winter project......

Thanks,

Brad

Brad Bachelor
"Marrying an old bachelor is like buying second-hand furniture." - Helen Rowland

Current: 2018 CBR300

Former Rides: 1971 Honda CT90, 1973 Honda CB175, 1978 Yamaha XS650, 1981 Honda CM200T, 1983 Yamaha XJ650 Turbo,1983 Honda VF750S, 1985 Kawasaki GPZ550, 1989 CBR600F1, 2006 Yamaha TW200, 2006 Suzuki GZ250, 2014 Honda CTX700N
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 07-12-2019, 09:16 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Have you tried increasing the preload one more click when riding two-up?
King CobRa likes this.

“Machines never lie.
Success will always come if they’re really good.
So let’s show the world what we’ve done.
Then they can see the real Honda!”

- Founder Soichiro Honda at the inception of the Honda Collection Hall.

Former Factory Test Rider/Technician
post #3 of 14 Old 07-12-2019, 09:30 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Bachelor View Post
Oh how I wish this was about how the bike feels through the esses at Laguna Seca..... it is not........
My wife and I combined weigh about 350 lbs (Hey!!!.....we’re working on it......). We two up ride our little Cbr300r a lot. When traveling, we tow the bike in a covered trailer behind the motor home. My wife complains about the springs bottoming out on some of the more severe bumps.

Does anyone have any suggestions (shock swaps, spacers, etc.....) that would make the ride more comfortable? I’m looking for a winter project......

Thanks,

Brad
shoot me a P M I can fix your front for $50 and you need to turn up the preload on the rear to max
King CobRa likes this.

post #4 of 14 Old 07-12-2019, 02:51 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
In my experience this bike has a pretty rough suspension in general. I only weigh 140lbs and still I feel a very rough ride over uneven pavement and bad roads.

One time i pulled over to the side of the road thinking i had a flat tyre but it was just that the pavement was so rough.

I dont have any other moto to compare it to but this is basically an "economy bike" designed for emerging markets so there is not much finesse to it. I just got used to it but you can feel how Honda built this bike "to a price".

This is barebones transportation designed as a commuter bike for emerging markets and to take you from point A to point B as cheap as possible. In that regard Honda's engineers really nailed it. They have certainly accomplished their aims.

2016 CB300F - 7000 miles - 100% stock config
post #5 of 14 Old 07-12-2019, 06:06 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Garage
Or all of the preload??

edit: Now I see motorboy's post. What do you have in mind for $50 on the front? (I've perused the past threads...)

I went to 4 on the preload and with a pillion the suspension is still, let's say, less than adequate. I'm impressed you go the distances you do on the wee 300 two-up. I agree with CobRa, regarding the stock suspension being thrashy over bad pavement. I've learned to take the butt off the seat over a lot of it.
Hi-Viz-Honda and King CobRa like this.

2015 CB300F
purchased 2,390 mi // currently 9.4k+ mi
post #6 of 14 Old 07-12-2019, 06:07 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1769 Post(s)
Screw the preload adjuster up as others have said, beyond that you need to invest in an aftermarket shock that has different spring rates available.
I haven't heard of alternative springs for the OEM shock.

2014 CBR300 (sold)
2018 Ninja 400
post #7 of 14 Old 07-12-2019, 10:30 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
Or all of the preload??

edit: Now I see motorboy's post. What do you have in mind for $50 on the front? (I've perused the past threads...)

I went to 4 on the preload and with a pillion the suspension is still, let's say, less than adequate. I'm impressed you go the distances you do on the wee 300 two-up. I agree with CobRa, regarding the stock suspension being thrashy over bad pavement. I've learned to take the butt off the seat over a lot of it.
I have a set of .75 Sonic fork springs for sale-they are for someone around 220
lbs I'm now 190 lbs so a bit stiff-with these in the front and the rear on number 5 -max-that's about the best it's going to get without spending big bucks
Zeke and King CobRa like this.

It's not a big motorcycle just groovy little motor bike
post #8 of 14 Old 07-13-2019, 08:33 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
Or all of the preload??

Yeah..... our preload is all the way up. MB..... The front hasn’t bothered me (although those springs might be what I need. I’m going to pay attention to the front end a little more.

In regards to how far we two up on this thing. We started in 1980 two-upping on a 1973 CB175 with a mattress seat...... Compared to that, this CBR is almost Mercedes-like.....
kiwi rider and Zeke like this.

Brad Bachelor
"Marrying an old bachelor is like buying second-hand furniture." - Helen Rowland

Former Rides: 1971 Honda CT90, 1973 Honda CB175, 1978 Yamaha XS650, 1981 Honda CM200T, 1983 Yamaha XJ650 Turbo,1983 Honda VF750S, 1985 Kawasaki GPZ550, 1989 CBR600F1, 2006 Yamaha TW200, 2006 Suzuki GZ250, 2014 Honda CTX700N
post #9 of 14 Old 07-13-2019, 12:02 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Bachelor View Post

Thanks,

Brad
Unfortunately, I'd say that you and your wife are right at the maximum weight limit for what this bike is designed for, not just in terms of the suspension, but also for things like power, torque and in particular, handling. Consider that the bike itself weighs in at about 360 lbs. Then add on 350 lbs of rider/passenger weigh, and you've got an fairly imbalanced top heavy motorcycle.

IMO, even solo riders weighing 250 lbs are pushing the limits of what these bikes are intended for.
King CobRa likes this.

“Machines never lie.
Success will always come if they’re really good.
So let’s show the world what we’ve done.
Then they can see the real Honda!”

- Founder Soichiro Honda at the inception of the Honda Collection Hall.

Former Factory Test Rider/Technician

Last edited by MotoMike; 07-13-2019 at 12:14 PM. Reason: added comment
post #10 of 14 Old 07-13-2019, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMike View Post

Unfortunately, I'd say that you and your wife are right at the maximum weight limit for what this bike is designed for, not just in terms of the suspension, but also for things like power, torque and in particular, handling. Consider that the bike itself weighs in at about 360 lbs. Then add on 350 lbs of rider/passenger weigh, and you've got an fairly imbalanced top heavy motorcycle.

IMO, even solo riders weighing 250 lbs are pushing the limits of what these bikes are intended for.
I get that we are right at the limit..... The lightweight bike is specifically why I bought it (easy to load and unload etc....)

When I was racing Solo II (and broke....), I used to put spacers between the spring and spring seats to stiffen the strut.... I was kind of hoping I could do that here too.

I’m not getting your meaning of imbalanced. I would think the c.g. is still much lower than a scooter (....and maybe a dirt bike with a heavier rider for that matter). The bike has never felt unsafe or unpredictable....

Brad Bachelor

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page