How difficult is it to DIY both tire replacements? - Honda CBR 300 Forum
 25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 Old 09-03-2019, 10:49 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
How difficult is it to DIY both tire replacements?

Basically the title I still consider myself a relatively new owner having done minimal maintenance on my bike (2018 cbr300r) up until this point (7,700 miles).

I need to replace the rear tire and want to replace the front tire + front brake pad also.

I haven't adjusted the chain tension or done anything too technical thus far. (just oil and installing tail tidy/frame sliders)

I would say I have 75% of the tools I think I need to perform all the tasks required above if I DIY I would use Ride On Tire Sealant which would remove the requirement to balance the tire. I would need to buy all the ones related to the tire replacement and likely would want to buy some jack stands for extra security when possibly replacing the front tire (my front stand sits under the forks and rests on rubber pad.)

I received a quote for $275 (including the front brake pad but without tires because online is soo much cheaper) to get it done for me on top of inspecting brake system operation and throttle operation. I think that's a bit steep so I'm looking into possibly doing it myself.

I also just realized I don't have a copy of the service manual, does anyone have a copy that doesn't look like complete garbage? A quick look online I only found poor quality or non-searchable versions. I need to go to sleep.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 09-04-2019, 03:46 AM

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1788 Post(s)
This clip shows you how to change your brake pads: (CBR250 identical to 300)

Regarding changing tires, do yourself (and your rims) a favor and a get a bike shop with a tire changing machine to do them. It's a **** of a job and there are good chances you will scratch your rims using tyre levers.
I've been messing with bikes for 35 years, have all the gear but still choose to get my road tyres changed at a shop.

2014 CBR300 (sold)
2018 Ninja 400
post #3 of 29 Old 09-04-2019, 08:22 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Kiwi's dead on with his reasoning. I also have the gear and tools, and every time I'm groaned and grunted a new set of tires on my bike.. I've sworn that was the last set. No matter how careful I've been, by the time the new tires are on, I've needed to touch-up wheels, because I've damaged the finish. If your goal is to save money, Buy your tires online and have a shop install them. You can still save considerable money by learning to remove/install the wheels, so the shop doesn't need to charge you labor on anything but tire removal/install. Let them balance them while you're there, it's not much extra costs. If you can remove/install the front and rear wheels, replacing brake pads would be a simple tasks to complete.
kiwi rider likes this.

To ride or not to ride? What a stupid question.

Last edited by airhead83; 09-04-2019 at 08:25 AM.

post #4 of 29 Old 09-04-2019, 09:27 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Garage
the stock tires are bias ply very stiff side walls-if you replace with radials much easier to install- easier still check and see if you have a Cycle Gear in your area if so they will change tires for $25 a wheel(you remove wheels) if you buy the tires from them last go round they had the best prices on tires and that price includes balance--don't bet your life on Ride On that crap does not work as advertised
airhead83 likes this.
post #5 of 29 Old 09-04-2019, 09:32 AM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
ive done tyre changes on steel rim bikes, but for cbr250/300r its the pro shop with the right equipment.. never having adjusted your chain in 7,700 miles is also a hint for this particular job, which while not 'difficult' does get easier second, third etc, times.. best not learn on alloy wheels..
seriously, the motorcyclist within you should really find and get to know that rear chain and sprockets, and their alignment...
this is real maintenance, which effects how your bike rides and handles, and which has its own satisfactions..
airhead83 likes this.
post #6 of 29 Old 09-04-2019, 06:28 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shisoshin View Post
ive done tyre changes on steel rim bikes, but for cbr250/300r its the pro shop with the right equipment.. never having adjusted your chain in 7,700 miles is also a hint for this particular job, which while not 'difficult' does get easier second, third etc, times.. best not learn on alloy wheels..
seriously, the motorcyclist within you should really find and get to know that rear chain and sprockets, and their alignment...
this is real maintenance, which effects how your bike rides and handles, and which has its own satisfactions..
I recently got back from a 3,000 mile trip and before I left the chain free play was still within spec.

In regard to costs I was quoted at $65 & 80 per tire from the two nearby Honda certified dealers which I think is nuts. The pair of Michelin Pilot Street Radial tires I'm buying are $200..

Is it typically this expensive to just have them remove and put on a new tire if you bring them the wheel? I think I would rather fight the task with a friend and risk a few scratches vs spending those additional amounts. I also think I'll be going through my rear tire at least once a year.
airhead83 likes this.

Last edited by insertnamehere24; 09-04-2019 at 06:33 PM.
post #7 of 29 Old 09-04-2019, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I also just thought about this but I need to check out the auto hobby shop on (military) base and see if they have additional tools that would make changing a tire easier.
airhead83 likes this.
post #8 of 29 Old 09-04-2019, 07:34 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
There's no doubt you can change the tires if you have a couple spoons, a couple hours, and enough effort. You can watch a few how-to videos on line to get some ideas of how make the tasks easier. One of the best ones I've seen is linked below. Good Luck.
shisoshin likes this.

To ride or not to ride? What a stupid question.
post #9 of 29 Old 09-05-2019, 02:34 AM

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
I’ll tackle almost anything automotive/motorcyclical. One thing I won’t do? Change my tires. Even if I buy my own tires, I can get a shop to do it for less than the hassle is worth to me.
post #10 of 29 Old 09-05-2019, 06:20 AM

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1788 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by insertnamehere24 View Post
In regard to costs I was quoted at $65 & 80 per tire from the two nearby Honda certified dealers which I think is nuts. The pair of Michelin Pilot Street Radial tires I'm buying are $200..

Is it typically this expensive to just have them remove and put on a new tire if you bring them the wheel?
Here in NZ $30 ($20USD) is a typical charge for changing a tyre if you take the wheel and the new tyre into them. So that cost you were quoted is a rip off.

2014 CBR300 (sold)
2018 Ninja 400

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page